2011 5.0 with Gen 2 motor. What cams?

Dirtycoyote

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I spun a bearing in my original motor and swapped in a gen 2 crate motor. At the time I didn’t realize the cams needed to be changed to a gen 1 spec so I am planning to do that now. Im thinking to go with comp cams nsr, but not sure what stage I should go with. The car is pretty much stock except for a catback exhaust. I don’t want to change the headers and my rear gears are 3.31. The stage 3 cams say you need headers and at least 3.73 gears, and also I’ve heard that you need to change to CJ manifold to really make use of the power with this set up.

If all that is true, then I should probably stick with stage 1 or 2 cams.

I’m planning to switch over to E85 with the tune also.

My biggest goal is to correct the timing issue by installing the gen 1 cams and phasers, but wouldn’t mind some extra power while I’m in there. I’d like the car to have stock drivability for around town also.

I’d appreciate some input from you guys.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
Don’t forget you will need new timing chains and crank sprocket. The gen 2 components are completely different. Also, the gen 1 cams time different than the gen 2, so keep that in mind when you are setting timing.

As for what cams, it’s kind of hard to beat the stock cams. Mine made 436rwhp with gen 1 cams, long tubes, and a gen 3 intake.

You could get something like L&M cams to gain a little power, but it’s a big cost.

What’s the plan for the car? Boost in the future?

Dirtycoyote

Reaction score
I’m picking this up along with the cams to convert the motor back to gen 1 timing 11-14 camdrive kit

I’ve looked at stock cams and boss 302 cams but they are more expensive or same price as aftermarket, which is why I’ve been looking at the comp cams.

I just want the car to run well. I still have my old motor and could salvage the cams out of it, but the motor had about 70k miles on it and I’m not sure if that’s a good idea to reuse those cams. I prefer to use all new parts in my gen 2 motor.

Car will stay NA and I don’t want to change headers or eliminate cats. I’d like to appear as stock as possible to be able to pass visual inspections.

Wolf302

Reaction score
L&M intake cams with boss exhaust cams is a good N/A combo

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back