2019 Ranger, 2.3 Ecoboost, 10-spd auto

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/

Ford finally announced the Ranger with official pics and info.
Quite disappointed to see the only engine listed being a 2.3 EcoBoost with the new 10-spd auto.
Not surprised, just disappointed.

Looks decent, but really seems to be aimed at the "need a 'truck' to go to Home Depot to buy a hammer" crowd.

ford-ranger-returns-for-2019-news-car-and-driver-photo-700154-s-original.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think both Ford and Chevy missed the mark on the size (to big) of the truck. Both were really developed for foreign markets, so it is what it is. Price wise, only makes sense if you are space constrained.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Looks full size, the likes of Tacoma and Colorado?

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
will be interesting to see how well these sell, love our 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel, not going back to Ford anytime soon

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I would love to see Ford offer the '18 F150's 3.0 diesel in the new Ranger.
250 HP, 440 tq.

Certainly much better numbers than the Colorado's 181hp/369tq from its 4-cyl Duramax

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
In other markets the Ranger has available the 3.2 inline 5 diesel that we see a version of in the full-size Transit van in North America. I could see that being offered here since the engineering already exists for it.

cheers
Ed

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well that's a disappointment.

If they price it within a few thousand of the F150 it will fail again.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well that's a disappointment.

If they price it within a few thousand of the F150 it will fail again.

I'm afraid that they'll price it similar to the upper Colorado trims and maybe the new Jeep pickup levels.
The new Wrangler with the V6 starts at $31k+, tops out over $50k.
Really, if I see a $50,000 Ranger I'm gonna barf on its hood

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bet it won't be able to tow a pile of shit either.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Quite disappointed to see the only engine listed being a 2.3 EcoBoost with the new 10-spd auto.

Looks decent, but really seems to be aimed at the "need a 'truck' to go to Home Depot to buy a hammer" crowd.

I think you nailed it!! Looks like it's for a country squire that wants to say he owns a truck.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

Should sell. There is a lot of demand for this size truck.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A day late and a dollar short, I think. It'll probably steal some sales from the Canyonado and Tacoma crowd, but it'll probably cannibalize some F-150 sales too. I like the idea of a small truck, but it seems too big, along with a (probably) too-big price tag.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'd love to see a Ranger "Raptor" offering, something like this:

ford-ranger-raptor-2.jpg

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I sure hope that's not all the motor options they offer. Come on Ford!! Now my hopes for the new bronco are very low.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was anticipating this truck wondering if it would be an option for towing my camper. With only the 2.3EB I know that answer is nope.

Other than the camper, I don't really need an F150. I only tow 3-4 times a year, so a smaller but capable truck would be be of use to me. This is not that truck. Even if they go with the I5 diesel it won't be the truck for me.

Ford can get my attention when they put the 2.7EB in it and it can tow 8000lbs. Which I doubt will happen.

I suspect it will remain 2.3EB only. Anything bigger and anything that makes its capability too close to the F150 will hurt F150 sales. The day Ford loses the #1 best selling truck title will be a bad day at Ford headquarters and an advertising bonanza for the company that dethrones them.

Because it's a "world chassis" I have read it was only designed to use I4 and I5 engines. V engines supposedly won't fit.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I think it looks decent, but I am a bit surprised at only one powertrain choice.

Size wise, this could be a fit for me. If it's the same size as a Canyonado (I like that lol) then it should fit in my garage. I really would love to own an F-150, but won't fit in my garage and I am not gonna shell out that kind of money for a vehicle and waste a perfectly good garage spot lol

I was anticipating this truck wondering if it would be an option for towing my camper. With only the 2.3EB I know that answer is nope.

Other than the camper, I don't really need an F150. I only tow 3-4 times a year, so a smaller but capable truck would be be of use to me. This is not that truck. Even if they go with the I5 diesel it won't be the truck for me.

Ford can get my attention when they put the 2.7EB in it and it can tow 8000lbs. Which I doubt will happen.

I suspect it will remain 2.3EB only. Anything bigger and anything that makes its capability too close to the F150 will hurt F150 sales. The day Ford loses the #1 best selling truck title will be a bad day at Ford headquarters and an advertising bonanza for the company that dethrones them.

Because it's a "world chassis" I have read it was only designed to use I4 and I5 engines. V engines supposedly won't fit.

I think they could figure out how to make V engines Fit. If the Bronco is supposed to share some underpinnings with this Ranger, I doubt they only put the Ecoboost in the Bronco.

Back