3650 shifting problems

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I did a few years back but I cant remember what type of fluid I used. I think it was Valvoline Mercon V but I could be wrong. All I remember is that it was in a red 5 quart jug.

I almost clicked on your other thread a second ago. I was like how weird that a thread about the 13-14 gt500 clutch master cylinder was made right now lol.

46addict

Reaction score
I did a few years back but I cant remember what type of fluid I used. I think it was Valvoline Mercon V but I could be wrong. All I remember is that it was in a red 5 quart jug.

I almost clicked on your other thread a second ago. I was like how weird that a thread about the 13-14 gt500 clutch master cylinder was made right now lol.

I don't know how many miles you put on each year but it's good to do change the fluid every 30k miles especially if you drive the car hard. Mine came out brown once when I drained it at the 30k mark and it won't hurt to shorten that interval even further. Mercon V is Ford's recommendation but others have used Syncromesh to cure shifting issues.

My car also has the Hurst Competition shifter but I don't mind the notchy shifting. Definitely feels better than the mushy rubber feel of the stock shifter, though I could probably shift faster with the stock unit. My problem is with getting into 1st gear when the car is standing still. Going to 3rd (or 2nd) before going into 1st works every time.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Another strange issue is that when I first start the car its hard to put in gear but if I put it into 3rd then 1st itll slide right in.
This isn't entirely abnormal - sometimes the teeth on the synchro rings don't line up with the teeth that they mesh with on the gear, and moving into a different gear that you can get into moves everything just enough to let you into the gear that you couldn't the first time. I'd think letting the clutch out in neutral with the engine running would accomplish the same thing, but you may be trying to go straight into 1st with the clutch pedal still depressed from when you cranked the engine over to start it.

Any suggestions or tests I can do to test anything? Im open to any info at all.
For the high rpm shifting issue, are you trying to hurry the shift up (maybe a lot like you probably would in a drag race)? Or grabbing the shift knob like you would a tennis ball or maybe a hand tool? Or more just guiding the shifter?

Norm

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Yes thats a problem I noticed is that it can be hard to put into 1st from a stop. I find myself putting it into 3rd then 1st while sitting still. Ive read its somewhat normal with any manual transmission. I dont notice it nearly as much in my 02 gt. I have gotten stuck on the first detent halfway in gear while shifting into 1st from a stop but not often at all (Im still talking about my 02 gt btw).

As far as driving habits go, this car is a COP MAGNET. Its unreal. So I try to drive like a granny when possible. Do I do some spirited driving, yes, but its seldom and I dont think it would be enough to where Im beating on the car. Now I used to live at home, drive to school, then work (almost 60 miles round trip) at least 3 days a week while driving 42 miles round trip the other 4. And I would be literally driving the car 7 days a week at least 40 miles a day. I put a lot of miles on the car in the 4 years Ive owned it. I bought it with 72k now its at about 138k miles. Thats 16.5k miles a year! About 50k or so miles were after the fluid change so Ill look into it. Ive heard people like syncromesh with 3650s so I think Ill try it.

Im not really trying to speed up the shift, Im trying to eliminate possible reasons why it wont go into gear. For high rpm 1-2 more times than not it wont go all the way in. If I try to shift, put it back into neutral, then pull it back to 2nd and pull it slightly towards me it will go in. I think its partially my fault but in my video above I still had trouble getting into second with the car off randomly.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've never noticed that but that's because I put the car into 1st when I shut it off. I never need to shift into first when starting it up because I'm already there.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I think its partially my fault but in my video above I still had trouble getting into second with the car off randomly.
With the car off, you can just as easily re-align the synchro teeth to block a gear that might have originally been readily engage-able when you're freeing up the ability to get it into a different one. This may become more of a problem when synchro wear has blunted the tips of the synchro teeth (as can happen when bad shifting 'grinds' a gear).

Norm

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I usually leave my 02 in first gear but not my 07. It has a better parking brake lol.

So you think it could have been just from the syncro teeth moving? You notice it was fine until I shifted into 5th then back into 2nd in the video? Perhaps its normal and the hurst is just exacerbating (sp?) things. If I can get the forward mounting screw off Ill reinstall the stock shifter with poly bushings and go from there.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
138K on it? When was the clutch last replaced? Sure sounds clutch/slave cylinder related to me. Had similar issues with a clutch setup on an 05. Wasted money on a twin disk that only reeked havoc and caused very similar symptoms to yours. Replaced that setup with an Exedy Mach 500 setup that came with an HD slave cylinder. Never had an issue like that again. Even bought the Hurst billet shifter setup later and though notchy it never locked me out while driving or at a light. I'd start saving your nickels and dimes.

For the record the MGW will be a much sweeter smother action shifter (learned that when I bought my first one for my 13 I had), but that Hurst will do even though it does make shifting a bit notchy. It does look nice sticking out of the console. And I am a die hard Linda Vaughn (Miss Hurst Golden Shifter) fan. Probably well before your time...heck she was almost before my time. But man did she age well.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
The clutch was replaced at about 90k miles. Right now it has an Exedy Mach 350 in it but it could probably use a new slave cylinder. I god I think a mach slave a while after but it went on the back burner when going to school and working full time.

Haha yea I was born in 93 and the Hurst era was long before me unfortunatly. I do like my Hurst but I also like the look of the stock shifter or even my Tri Ax with a bullitt shift knob.

I just swapped my Hurst for the stocker with poly bushings. Ill have to retorque everything after a few weeks but already its much better. I speed shifted 1-2 at about 5500 rpms and it went right in no problem. For now Ill run the stocker while I sell the Hurst and get my other slave installed.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Sounds good. Wasn't sure if the clutch had been upgraded or not. I would have been really impressed if it had been OEM. Sell that Hurst and get yourself an MGW. Once I went down that road there was no substitution. Well worth the money.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
No my factory clutch literally blew up while driving. There is a tsb on it that I found later... i needed a new clutch quickly and went for a cheap upgrade so the mach 350 sounded good at the time. I dont think I even knew about replacing the slave cylinder back then, but then again I was broke and probably would have skimped.

After driving about 20 or so miles with the stock shifter being back on I already am glad I did. I havent had a problem so far.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I usually leave my 02 in first gear but not my 07. It has a better parking brake lol.
Why would you ever rely only on the P-brake when it takes so little effort to put the transmission in either 1st or reverse and use engine compression?

So you think it could have been just from the syncro teeth moving? You notice it was fine until I shifted into 5th then back into 2nd in the video?
Whether any or all of the synchro teeth line up (or don't) is kind of a crap-shoot. Worn synchros - where the pointy faces of the cone and blocker ring teeth have been blunted/rounded off - increase the likelihood of difficulty getting it into any given gear with the engine off because part of the 'ramps' that make sliding into engagement easier has been lost.

synchroassy2.png

Norm

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Why would you ever rely only on the P-brake when it takes so little effort to put the transmission in either 1st or reverse and use engine compression?

Whether any or all of the synchro teeth line up (or don't) is kind of a crap-shoot. Worn synchros - where the pointy faces of the cone and blocker ring teeth have been blunted/rounded off - increase the likelihood of difficulty getting it into any given gear with the engine off because part of the 'ramps' that make sliding into engagement easier has been lost.

synchroassy2.png

Norm

Im just used to using it and I dont like the idea of pressing the clutch in and start rolling. Id rather use the parking brake.

With the amount of miles on the car and not knowing how the previous owner drove it Im willing to bet the syncros are getting worn. With the stock shifter so far its been a non issue so Ill leave it at that but eventually Ill either get it rebuilt or swapped. I want to eventually add a supercharger and push around 600 and I dont want to grenade the transmission if I can help it lol.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Use both methods - setting the P-brake is no reason to avoid leaving the transmission in gear. Redundancy is a good thing, separate from this matter of having difficulty engaging 1st. I'll use both if the ground slopes enough to warrant it.

P-brake cables can stretch, or be subject to water intrusion that rusts cables and can freeze the brakes in the 'applied' position if temperatures get cold enough. As long as you're on level or only gently sloping ground, I consider P-brakes less reliable, overall, than leaving the transmission in gear.

Norm

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I guess thats not a bad idea. 1st isnt a big deal but I dont want to have to replace another rear brake line like in my 00 gt. What a pain!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back