4.6 3v Auto into 4.6 3v manual car

Carson Kaddatz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read. I recently purchased a project car (2005 Mustang GT) that needed the engine repaired, so I’m currently working on that. But the end goal in purchasing this car was to put that motor in mine (2006 Mustang GT) since it’s built and has a turbo kit, and then resell it meaning that I pretty much get a free FI engine and maybe some $$ on top. I know y’all are asking yourselves “why not just repair the car and keep it and sell yours”, well because the project car has a pretty horrid paint job with airbrushed horses on the hood and doors whereas mine has been custom painted and has aftermarket body parts.

So the question is, how do I go about putting an automatic motor into a car with a manual trans and vice versa? What all parts will need to be swapped, how does tuning work, etc.

Again, thank you!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You will need to install a pilot bearing into the end of the crank shaft.
There is no such thing as an auto or stick engine. They are the same physically.
Tuning, you will be tuning the stickshift pcm. Just need to figure out if you will use SCT or HP tuners. Total cost is the same for both if you are tuning it yourself.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Everything on the back of the motor where it bolts up to the trannys needs to be swapped out... Exchange the automatic flexplate and torque converter for the manual flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing (already mentioned). Thats it!

Send pics of turbo 06' Mustang...

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Everything on the back of the motor where it bolts up to the trannys needs to be swapped out... Exchange the automatic flexplate and torque converter for the manual flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing (already mentioned). Thats it!

Send pics of turbo 06' Mustang...
Yea, that too. lol

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have never done a S197 swap. I have done several Fox and harness is the same but I did put in A9L ECU’s which made it run great.

Also, clutch pedal assembly needs to be installed too but that’s a given. Lol

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
he's just swapping motors back and forth. As long as the tranny stays in the original cars it's just an engine swap.
I gotcha…got confused from the start but I see what’s going on. Done a few manuals but no auto’s so dunno the components. Pilot bearing confused me, figured both would have an input shaft, but have no clue how the auto setup works. Would have to bolt one together and see how it all works to understand it…how my brain works anyway!

Project916

Reaction score
I have done this auto to manual swap twice. You will need to swap the harness and ECM. The car will start with the auto harness and drive however for some reason it will not go into close loop and it will not pass emissions. I used SCT software and switched the settings to manual and it didn't work until I swapped harnesses from a stick car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back