4.6 3V Whipple - wants to swap Shelby Engine

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
I do all of my own work on my 2007 and putting in a GT500 5.4 is the best way to go. I recently swapped back to a 4.6 3V based engine and instantly regretted it (huge hp and torque loss). If you want to run great numbers and beat up on Challengers and Camaros, the 5.4 is a much better starting point (way better heads, more cubes, no VCT bs, rocker arms don't pop off with big cams, many tuners and parts available, etc).

Aluminum block vs iron is a cost vs purpose issue. Both 5.4 blocks are good for whatever you throw at them at street hp levels. My 2007 chassis was a V6, but it doesn't matter (engine swaps are plug and play). For your 2007, you swap the PCM computer, the engine harness and battery-to alternator wire from a 2007 thru 2009 GT500, that's all the wiring. Your gauges and everything work (get an aftermarket boost gauge- no need to get the whole dash swap just to have a GT500 boost gauge). Get your keys entered into PATS (5 minutes at dealer or a locksmith).

Thank you for this reply, knowing which harnesses I need is super helpful when looking at these packages. I was looking at a "master kit" but it seems it would give me lots of redundant parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Get the iron block 5.4. Swap in a forged bottom end from VMP while it's out of the car. Bolt on a big blower and E85 and crush shit.

http://www.vmpperformance.com/product-p/vmpforged54.htm

However if you're planning on just bolting in a GT500 long block and being happy, prepare to be disappointed. You'll be looking at about 440whp stock, I got mine up to 550whp with an intake, pulley, and tune though. Not sure where you are now but you have to be close to 400 already so don't expect a massive jump just from the install. Bottom end will take up to 800whp before you have to start watching how high you rev it to protect the rods.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Based on MPH car makes around 425 WHP as it sits.

Sounds like Iron is the way to go. No plans to build the bottom end right away. Once the bigger blower is in the cards I will definitely consider it, but no E85 available around here, so I might have to stick closer to factory compression ratio on a forged bottom end for pump gas 91 friendliness.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
With the GT500 engine, a TVS, and 91 octane with the correct supporting mods you should be able to get the car up to 600whp pretty easily. Throwing mine on the dyno Friday hopefully, but we have 93 down here.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I have a 2007 Shelby GT500 donor car en route. Should come tomorrow. Should be building it in the new year.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
I'd go aluminum for the weight. Aluminum has proven itself beyond expectations as long as you don't cook it. Iron block shelbys are even more nose heavy pigs than the mustangs already are. Word of advice, if you want the car faster, ditch the manual and go with the 6r80 6 SPD auto. I did and I'll never have another manual. Went from 7.13 to 6.87. I can save you some money on the quick6 also

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
10e6eeb469d7aefb85fb0834350b2319.jpg

Too late to go aluminum...

I’ll lose a couple tenths and keep my 3rd pedal. I have a things for manuals.

Last edited:

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Did you buy the gt500 off copart?

No it was in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada at a salvage yard. I had it shipped to Calgary, Alberta where I live. I watched lots of Copart and IAAI auctions but, shipping, Exchange Rate and duty would have killed me! The price made sense and this way i hope that I don’t have to source too many parts for the swap. This car runs and drives. It either soft rolled (no airbag deployed and windshield in tact) or something fell on it.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
d77e8087c8c6047582971e754ba43844.jpg

Engine out.

50f498a98c8a73fa0cac22ca178736fd.jpg

Ready for new home

31523c8a73968d40895531426744cbd4.jpg

Got a little bonus at work, and the engine is out so I figured a BMR K member was in order.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
82a44fb537854df552a60fad117ef6c6.jpg

K member is in - it was a pain even with the engine out. Ball joint fought us.

fd3dbecf546fde9d9dcde5f7b4205b6d.jpg

GT500 engine and transmission are out. Should be back in the GT tomorrow if all goes well.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice progress and find on that car. Also, I really really want a bmr k member. I don't know why, they are just so cool.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
199fb86c6f9f98b848caa9c61bf33681.jpg

Got more work done last night, AC Condenser, radiator, heat exchanger (factory H.E. is TINY!!! Ordered a VMP triple pass dual fan unit) fuse box, PCM, fuel lines power steering.

Next up is exhaust,O2 sensors and wiring in the IC pump. Might have it running by the weekend, but I’ll need the locksmith to come over and program my PATS keys to the new PCM.

Project is going smooth so far.

I also ordered an MGW GT500 shifter as the factory unit is really flimsy looking and I loved my MGW on the 5 speed GT trans.

And I ordered a Ford Performance 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, Metco driveshaft loop and Ford Performance hood struts...

Budget has officially been blown.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Keys got programmed today. And it fired first go! I seem to have a TCS light on but no other lights on the dash. I also seem to have a belt issue as there was quite the squeal on start up and no it’s not the blower. Lol.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back