5.4l 3v JPC Intake

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I haven't really been posting much over here, but I thought you guys might like to see what I've been up to.

As some of you know, I swapped out my 4.0L V6 to a 5.4L 3v. I (think) I was the first one to start this particular swap (thought not the first to finish, due to multiple setbacks... including a motorcycle accident). At any rate, for those interested in the swap, there are threads on both ModFords and the Mustang Collective that are a wealth of info.

For a variety of reasons, I decided to switch from the MMR intake to the JPC intake. It was a lot of work (and it didn't fit under the stock hood), but it's all done. Seems to run great, though I've only driven it around the block.

I finished up everything last night. It runs great, no leaks, error codes, etc.... I still need to do some datalogging, but I doubt it'll be anything but maybe some higher fuel trims to accommodate the extra air. We'll see. I need to get it on a dyno to see what the difference is.

Here are some pics (clickable, of course). When the weather gets better, I'll take it out for a longer ride.

I want to thank:
Justin at JPC Racing (obviously!!)
Kevin at Piedmont Modular Performance (for all the help over the past few years)
Jay at Cervini's (for all the stupid questions)
Zach at the Phil Long Body shop (for excellent work and quick turnaround)
Rob at Front Range Polishing
Roger at Taint Paint (it ain't paint) for the clear powder coating
...and everyone else who provided help, advice, parts, etc...

Last edited:
J

Jordan@JPC

Looking good Flapjack!! I can't wait to see what kind of numbers you put down this time around :popcorneat:

weeloGT

forum member
Reaction score
wish i could see the pics here at work, ill catch them when i get home, sounds like a big step for the 4.0...haha

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks good, when I first saw legend lime, I hated it. After seeing a few in person, they really grew on me and I wouldn't mind getting one for my wife.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Looks good, when I first saw legend lime, I hated it. After seeing a few in person, they really grew on me and I wouldn't mind getting one for my wife.
Yeah, I got a lot of raised eyebrows in 2005. Now most people seem to love it. Glad I stuck with my gut...

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Well, here are the dyno results:

305 RWHP and 325 RWTQ. <- Link

Just like anyone who does a mod (especially a big one), I was hoping for more. Still, I'll take roughly 20 HP/Tq any day. Plus, I'm very pleased with the amount of support I got from JPC during the whole thing. It's obvious this engine just screaming for turbos. It wants them bad. And that fact that I've gone back to a stock cooling system and alternator is a great thing.

So now I've got some suspension work to get done. It'll be nice to be able to drive it around again....

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
looks great.

you've got a 5.4L with stage 3 heads, stage 2 cams, and a JPC intake and it only put down 305/320??? That sounds prety low to me. Thats a stock 4.6L with intake, tune, and headers

either way, throw a S/C or turbos on there and let er rip...

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
looks great.

you've got a 5.4L with stage 3 heads, stage 2 cams, and a JPC intake and it only put down 305/320??? That sounds prety low to me. Thats a stock 4.6L with intake, tune, and headers

either way, throw a S/C or turbos on there and let er rip...
The cams are pretty aggressive turbo cams. I was told they wouldn't do very well N/A. I just wanted to get a baseline before any FI went on the car.

What's the compression and what cams (I notice you say cammed in your sig)?
The CR is stock (9.8:1). I'm not a big fan of dropping compression. As I mentioned above, the cams are stage 2 MMR turbo cams. The engine will wake up once it gets some boost...

SirKoda

Reaction score
Sorry to reawaken a 7 year dead post. But how much did the jpc intake set you back? 3,000 for a mmr seems outrageous. The intake is the only reason i have not pulled the trigger on this build.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Sorry to reawaken a 7 year dead post. But how much did the jpc intake set you back? 3,000 for a mmr seems outrageous. The intake is the only reason i have not pulled the trigger on this build.
Man... I don't even remember! I'll see if I can pull up the invoice. I'm not even sure they are making/selling it any more.

**EDIT**
Looks like I paid just under $2000, but that was at a discount, since I had purchased a ton of other stuff.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back