5'' backing plate with 6.5'' pads

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
So the Meguiar's backing plate that came with my G110v2 is a little damaged (velcro is damaged because it sucks) and I ordered a backing plate without even thinking. I got a 5'' backing plate. All of my pads (close to 20) are 6.5'' diameter. I know some people think it's okay and some people think it's the end of the world. I will be doing a car for someone new this weekend and I want to make sure that I will be okay in using the 6.5'' pads on the 5'' backing plate. I do have 3 5.5'' pads, but that will not be enough to do their whole Jeep.

What are y'alls opinions on the subject? I can still technically USE the Meguiars backing plate, but the velcro is so weak that the pad wants to fly off on vertical panels since I don't use their 7'' soft buff pads.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen guys over at the autogeek forum say it's ok. Personally I still prefer to have the 6" backing plate to ensure consistant pressure. Having a 6" plate available to you probably isn't a bad thing. I know at some point I plan on getting a 3" plate as well as my 5" and 6".

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
It works for large areas, but really sucks for tight spots like along edges. You can't get any pressure along an edge (like along a moulding, weatherstrip or trim piece) without seriously risking damage of the trim. It might be okay if you're just doing a wax/buff job, but if you're doing any color/wet sanding, it's not going to work well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back