86's VMP 1.9/Forged Build

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you go to rock auto, for my 2008 Mustang, A1 cardone is selling an "upgrade kit" of "rebuilt" brembo calipers powdercoated red, slotted/drilled rotors, and pads, and braided lines. Currently out of stock and probably very expensive, but interesting.

3wA2ZEv.jpg

nIS78yb.jpg

w8BAWuX.jpg

k1x79PZ.jpg

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Passes the solvent test, which probably means nothing, same as vac checking. Who knows. Lito!

rMLfRu4.jpg

d19iEIZ.jpg

zetLSId.jpg

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know, have you ever hand lapped valves? I'm debating it. Would clean up the valve and seat slightly without changing angles. I did this on some E6TE heads back in the day.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Heads are going to the shop for a light touch up on the exh. side. I guess I am buying 300 shims to set installed height, provided my micrometer works. I finished dismantling the pistons. Circlips are terrible. There is also swarf on the c clip grooves that makes the pins not want to exit, they tend to go out the back, though. Tomorrow I'll huff a little more gasket remover and get the last of the carbon off of the pistons, wash them up really nice, spray them down with WD and as soon as my bearings show up balancing can happen.

Failed getting the pilot bushing out of the crank hydraulically, will rent puller soon.

Headers off to get blasted at "totally blasted," someone could not have put more green (or maybe it's yellow and blue mixed?) loctite on the ring gear bolts and less on the carrier bearings....

UFfWBPq.jpg

hHouyYA.jpg

MmBREXY.jpg

WbZplOo.jpg

Last edited:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know, have you ever hand lapped valves? I'm debating it. Would clean up the valve and seat slightly without changing angles. I did this on some E6TE heads back in the day.

Personally no, if they seal I think I would not touch them.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I updated my post. Lapping just isn't done any more, by anybody.

Here we go:

j4wZ98S.jpg

viL2X2a.png

I could probably save some money, weigh the chips, and do this myself.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
ADD!?

No way, I'm having it done. Hope they don't charge me a ton of extra $.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
:D

Nice clutch. Might shoot the back side of the PP with high heat paint, not sure why. Be a pain to clean first. I'm having a quandry about measuring the clearance for the rod bearings, really should have the bolts torqued up, but they are TTY. I'm not terribly interested in buying more bolts. Probably just go to the preload torque and then not the final, see how it looks. Using plastigauge. Should be golden as the crank isn't getting touched and I'm using standard sized bearings.

Kcc3OFz.jpg

IzcasGc.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
zjjev1a.jpg

a5BYiWe.jpg

oLGBTDV.jpg

Ordered a provent 200, got this:
dr5GikN.jpg

At least Summit didn't screw up my cherry bomb order!! :D
gqrFXxR.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I hope they do something, by the time I'm working on my exhaust I'm going to be very tired and at the end of the project! I'm excising the blocking plate from my H pipe shortly, then the car over to a friends place and putting those bombs in, hopefully tucking the pipes up a little bit under the car. OR I'll get the exhaust shop to do it. See when this is happening.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Iguball sent me some free sample bearings for the Roush shifter since that one didn't hold up. I'm getting a nice new rubber seal for the bottom from mcmaster carr. :)

The loose tires are some used ones I got from my friend, I cleaned them with vinyl and rubber cleaner and then put some of that Meguiars matt rubber treatment on them - look better than the new rears!!!

meunCxA.jpg

uhU3rWI.jpg

y5CZFyC.jpg

buXDjul.jpg

qzEW3F5.jpg

oxxBsQb.jpg

Tk9uw5N.jpg

t7pv0yb.jpg

48hqGGl.jpg

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Lapping valves is standard issue, I don't know why someone would tell you it isn't. Even fresh cut valves require lapping to "seat" everything.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score

I guess I was wasting my time lapping valves on all those 632s I pulled down everyday in a racing machine shop.

Prolly wasted my time on the 40-50 motors I built last year doing the same thing.

It's done to check your work, if you don't dye the seat and lap the valves you can't know how well the two faces are contacting.
Are there machines out there that make it "obsolete"? Only if you consider checking your work obsolete.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, to check, sure. Do one with fine stuff. I'm not sure that's what you indicated originally.

I have zero tolerance for folklore and BS.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
God punished me for getting mad at Rocketcarx and his big block dick swinging by having me bend the 5th/rev shifter shaft in my 3650. I'll fix it.

LX8lLZu.jpg

8gCpTrY.jpg

ze0QPDu.jpg

DmAWi5B.jpg

lbeIJPV.jpg

s9KEdUU.jpg

DPCXwyg.jpg

MbsBNOh.jpg

m11kyh4.jpg

1jJbTvB.jpg

Back