A Arms

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I have been looking at A-arms, is there any difference between the v6/gt arms, I read that the only difference between the gt and gt500 are the ball joints, now obviously I know if you buy an aftermarket one there will be a reduce in weight from stock to aftermarket, but in the end is that enough to justify that or would it be wiser to upgrade the bushings and go with a stiffer ball joint with the stock a-arm and I do plan on using the car for some NASA racing so that's why I am interested.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Ok I have been looking at A-arms, is there any difference between the v6/gt arms, I read that the only difference between the gt and gt500 are the ball joints, now obviously I know if you buy an aftermarket one there will be a reduce in weight from stock to aftermarket, but in the end is that enough to justify that or would it be wiser to upgrade the bushings and go with a stiffer ball joint with the stock a-arm and I do plan on using the car for some NASA racing so that's why I am interested.

no diff in the V6/GT arms. But do a search, some people have had trouble with aftermarket a-arms breaking.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
That's why I was asking about it, is it just better to replace the 2 bushings and go with the x5 joints instead and the fr500 arms are out of my price leage.

Last edited:

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
That's why I was asking about it, is it just better to replace the 2 bushings and go with the x5 joints instead and the fr500 arms are out of my price leage.

there's a few manufacturers of aftermarket arms that aren't near as pricey at the FRPP arms. Just look into them. Or just do better bushings and call it good. If you're not lowered too much you'll be OK.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
go with the GT arms, replace the rear bushing with the steeda inserts(black) and replace the BJ's with the steeda x5's. for the front i went with energy suspensions bushing kit.
really helped stiffen the front of the car up.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
go with the GT arms, replace the rear bushing with the steeda inserts(black) and replace the BJ's with the steeda x5's. for the front i went with energy suspensions bushing kit.
really helped stiffen the front of the car up.

there ya go OP, advice from someone with experience. You're good to go.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
im sorry i didnt use energy suspensions, that was on my original CA's i recently went with prothane front bushing kit from LRS. IIRC its about 30$.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
I have already ordered the prothane bushings for the front actually ordered those last night, will order the steeda bushing soon, I have read that the ball joints are not "serviceable" on these cars and you have to replace the entire control arm, does that mean you can't remove the joint from the arm, or you can't do work on the joint itself.

boss 245

Reaction score
You can replace the ball joint, steeda sells a great replacement. Lots of folks have replaced the ball joint only after lowering the car. I use the BMR K-member and A-arms, transmits a lot of noise, but thats the price I pay. :) Soilid handling though.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
I could care less about the noise, I want the performance so something has to be sacrificed, I just don't want to buy something and not be able to do anything with it. I have lowered the car as well, I need to get cc plates because I have a decent neg. camber and want to be able to adjust it since the car sees the street more than the race track.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i drive a GT but they are the same thing. the balljoint is not servicable as a ford part. for the aftermarket it is quite easy to replace. the steeda balljoints are 100% worth every penny. also may want to look into a set of bumpsteer adjusters. they help when aligning the car and reducing tramlining and such.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Got up with Gus from Steeda, I am ordering there x5 joints, bumpsteer kit, and their bushing kit, and in a week or two will order camber mounts and I would assume with those parts the front end will feel quite different on the handling aspect.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
Waiting for my parts arrived, got another question, are the Maximum motorsports cc plates, just plates or are they strut mounts as well, my stock mounts are making noises, so they need to get replaced.

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah if you think springs helped all of what you order will take it to another leave. It let's you know where the car is and wants to go makes the steering slot more precise. My suspension mods are in my sig most of which is steeda

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
buy the steeda upp mounts. they offer 1 degree of camber adjustment and are solid upper mounts.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i have the steeda x5 and lowered and i didn't need castor/camber plates and the car handles great.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
I have a noticeable negative camber so I want to get that back into spec. except when I am at the track.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back