A/C causing vibration

RickG9

Reaction score
My car is a V6 with AT. I've noticed for the last couple months an engine idle vibration that goes away when the A/C is turned off. This only happens when the car is fully warmed up and driven for at least a few minutes, then at a stop and in gear I can feel a subtle vibration, turn the A/C off and the idle is so smooth you can't even tell the engine is running. As sublte as the vibration is, it is very noticable compared to how smooth it is with the A/C off. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago for a warranty check, of course I could not duplicate that in the service dept and after wasting my day off waiting around for them to look at my car (and yes, I did make an appointment for the service) I ended up leaving with the tech telling me "some harmonics are to be expected". Harmonics my ass, I know a vibration when I feel it.

I'm no expert, but I do have a basic understanding of how the A/C works and a little experience servicing older car A/C systems. The only thing I can think of is the compressor is working a little harder than it used to, making the vibration a little more noticable then when I got the car a year ago. It still seems to be cooling the interior, and there are no other signs of problems with the system, e.g. no signs of leaks or oil on the hoses, no strange noises coming from the compressor. So, is this a normal thing with these A/C compressors, are they really this rough when they spin or is something else going on that I need to have addressed while it is still under warranty?

ixtlan

Reaction score
Harmonics lead to bearing failure.
Pull the belt off and check your compressor for loose (lateral movement) in the bearings.
Especially if it is getting worse.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
make another appt, go back and take the service guy for a ride. Show him what vibration you have. The squeaky wheel gets greased. It's your car and your money. Either stand up for yourself or live with it. I would make appt after appt until I got someone to fix my car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back