Ac advice needed

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Just replaced all AC components but evaporator. Flushed lines and core, blew tons on shit through it and let it sit for a few days, etc. Vacuumed it down for almost 2 hours after pressure testing system overnight.
Freon charge says 21oz. I used most of 2 cans to refill (some accidentally escaped but I don't know how much). Which would be 24oz max. It's cold, not I think it should be colder.

Today was 85°, 55% humidity when testing.
At idle gauges are 30 low 175 high. temp from center vent was mid 58°
At 1500 rpm, gauges were 25/195. Temp from center vent was 48°
From my limited knowledge of reading I've done, sounds like it needs a little more freon?
Isn't pressures supposed to be 45-55 low and 225-250 high?

Last edited:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
You are correct. It needs a little more freon. Getting a specific charge off the small cans is very hard because it is hard to measure what is coming out of them.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, the high side is a bit low. But as you add more refrigerant, the low side will start climbing. And vent temp rising, indicating full or slightly over charged.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Even using an AC scale makes it very hard with the small cans

I tried using a scale to measure the second can when I put it in, but it was not working like I saw in the demonstration video.

I think I'm going to get another small can and slowly add more Freon, see if I can get the pressures to climb a little. Thank you for confirming

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
My method/hack for filling a system.
After vacuum, start adding refrigerant.
Start engine, AC on fresh air, fan on high.
I grab the low side at the evaporator. Once it feels cold, I call it done. The compressor will also stop cycling fast and stay engaged longer as you reach "full-charge". More refrigerant will only reduce cooling.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
My method/hack for filling a system.
After vacuum, start adding refrigerant.
Start engine, AC on fresh air, fan on high.
I grab the low side at the evaporator. Once it feels cold, I call it done. The compressor will also stop cycling fast and stay engaged longer as you reach "full-charge". More refrigerant will only reduce cooling.

I basically did something similar. I vacuumed it down, let it sit overnight, system held perfect. Vacuumed it down for almost 2 hours. Attached 1st can and let it flow into system with engine off. Something came up and I didn't get back to it until the next day. Everything stayed attached overnight. The next day, I started engine and added 2nd can watching my gauges, but it never got to the pressures that are recommended on charts that I found.

Charging was done, max AC, max fan, windows down and driver door open. I tested it both with recirculate on and off, and idle and 1500rpm but again, pressures never got to where the chart specified.

Like I said, it's cold, but not as cold as I think it should be.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I tried using a scale to measure the second can when I put it in, but it was not working like I saw in the demonstration video.

I think I'm going to get another small can and slowly add more Freon, see if I can get the pressures to climb a little. Thank you for confirming
That's the best you can do at this point

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back