Added FRPP aluminum driveshaft

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
Had it installed last week. Definitely noticed a little more “urgency” when hitting the go pedal. Also feels a little more connected to the road if that makes any sense. A little pricey at $650, but worth it just to get rid of my clunky 102k mile factory shaft. Of course like any other mod, after a week of driving, I hardly notice it anymore.

whitmanink

Reaction score
less rotational mass = faster spool up, add a alum flywheel and it will be even more efficient,,, and we all "get use" to the mods after a little while ,, hence why at first 450 hp is fast .. than after awhile it feels no so fast, so now its on to 550hp , and down the rabbit hole we go

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
Was thinking about getting a lightened steel flywheel when I do my clutch.

brasil

Reaction score
I changed the driveshaft too.. went from OEM ( 2 piece ) to the Ford Racing One piece Aluminum Drive shaft. But I noticed several new " sounds "... a wine when the car comes to a full stop in the 1 st gear. a " ship engine like sound when accelerating under heavy load.
And slightly vibration around 80 mph up...
So meanwhile I went back to the OEM DS.. but the clunking sound that occurs while shifing or backing up is also not sooooo nice.

brasil

Reaction score
a litte "update " .... when I installed the FRDS I found 4 screws with "allenhead" and 2 screws with "hexhead" in the hardware package.. so far so good. Installed all the stuff i the way shown on the directions. Last week I had to pull the DS... and had to cut one of these HEXHEAD screws, went to a local hardware store a new one- which was a little longer. no problem I thought..will cut off a little. Before cutting a piece I "stole " the kitchen balance from my wife... just to make sure that the weight of the screws will match at the end of the day.

What I found out next was ... that the HEX Screws with the special head ( like a washer ) DO NOT FIT COMPLETLY flush on the flange...because the flange is like 1 mm smaller than the Support that is mounted on the pinion. So the HEX SCREWS are "useless", as the cannot be tighten until they keep in good contact with the CUP /Support that sits on the pinion.

So I decided not to use these HEXHEAD Scews... and I went to the Hardware Store again.Bought 2 more "Allenhead"screws..

Back home , I checked the weight of all those screws...
Surprise surprise... the 4 allenhead screws are 26 gramms (each) exactly ...But he Hexhead screws are 33 grams ! each. Thinking about balancing I bought 2 more "allenhead" screws with 26 grams... Now I use 6 allenhead screws. All with the same weight.

Result... in my opinion , the car runs even better now... smoother. No vibs up to 125 mph ( here in Germany we don´t have a speed limit, so I could make some d
test drives- without canceling my DL.

OBS. for the two "allenheads " that I changed out for the hexheads.... I used to cut a allen wrench a little... because the gap between flange and the yoke is to small to use the "long tool "...

DieHarder

Reaction score
a litte "update " .... when I installed the FRDS I found 4 screws with "allenhead" and 2 screws with "hexhead" in the hardware package.. so far so good. Installed all the stuff i the way shown on the directions. Last week I had to pull the DS... and had to cut one of these HEXHEAD screws, went to a local hardware store a new one- which was a little longer. no problem I thought..will cut off a little. Before cutting a piece I "stole " the kitchen balance from my wife... just to make sure that the weight of the screws will match at the end of the day.

What I found out next was ... that the HEX Screws with the special head ( like a washer ) DO NOT FIT COMPLETLY flush on the flange...because the flange is like 1 mm smaller than the Support that is mounted on the pinion. So the HEX SCREWS are "useless", as the cannot be tighten until they keep in good contact with the CUP /Support that sits on the pinion.

So I decided not to use these HEXHEAD Scews... and I went to the Hardware Store again.Bought 2 more "Allenhead"screws..

Back home , I checked the weight of all those screws...
Surprise surprise... the 4 allenhead screws are 26 gramms (each) exactly ...But he Hexhead screws are 33 grams ! each. Thinking about balancing I bought 2 more "allenhead" screws with 26 grams... Now I use 6 allenhead screws. All with the same weight.

Result... in my opinion , the car runs even better now... smoother. No vibs up to 125 mph ( here in Germany we don´t have a speed limit, so I could make some d
test drives- without canceling my DL.

OBS. for the two "allenheads " that I changed out for the hexheads.... I used to cut a allen wrench a little... because the gap between flange and the yoke is to small to use the "long tool "...

Good job paying attention to details! :snoopy

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The story I got years ago, was either a lighter DS...OR a lighter flywheel..... but not both...for manual GT's. I don't remember the reasoning behind it. IMO, reducing the weight of the flywheel on a manual tranny would make a lot of difference on the spool up time. But you can only lighten the flywheel so much.

On my 2010 auto (M90 blower + LT's).... I installed a DSS-DS. They (DSS) did a before / after dyno test on that same DS, and the TQ increased by 30 ft lbs @ 2500 rpm...(=14.5 hp). It dropped off on either side of 2.5 krpm. At 6 krpm, it was like another 5 hp. I could feel the difference. We could also see it on the dyno test I had done. Like other's have stated, 2 weeks later..and it all feels the same.

Reaction score
I have both the aluminum driveshaft and lighter flywheel on 2008 Mustang GT. I haven't noticed any problems, but I think the lighter flywheel had a bigger impact.

They were both installed by a shop specializing in Mustangs and he didn't mention any potential problems.

GT R13

Reaction score
Adding my FRPP aluminum driveshaft was honestly one of the best mods I did IMO. Has a steel lightweight flywheel put in when I had the clutch done and was a great addition. Car really seemed faster after both additions.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Adding my FRPP aluminum driveshaft was honestly one of the best mods I did IMO. Has a steel lightweight flywheel put in when I had the clutch done and was a great addition. Car really seemed faster after both additions.

The flywheel is one helluva lot bigger diam vs the typ 3.5" OD DS. Any flywheel is gonna have one helluva lot more rotating mass, due it's weight + diameter, esp with weight out to the edges of the flywheel..the rotational TQ is massive. . There was some trick to what the limit was in chopping weight out of a flywheel. One of the guys at work was heavy into experimentation with light flywheels..back in 1977. With it too light, when the clutch was let out, the eng would gag a bit...unless you got into the gas asap.

At one of the stock car races at local track, all the cars with oem flywheel ran dead last.... vs the rest of em, with the much lighter flywheel. The oem folks were all from out of town. Other than the flywheel, the engs and cars were virtually identical, including weight.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I have both the aluminum driveshaft and lighter flywheel on 2008 Mustang GT. I haven't noticed any problems, but I think the lighter flywheel had a bigger impact.

They were both installed by a shop specializing in Mustangs and he didn't mention any potential problems.

I've had a 1 piece DS for years now, but just recently installed a Mach 500 clutch and their lightened flywheel. What a difference! It weighs 7 lbs less than the oem flywheel. That's a lot of weight to take off the back of the crank, it spins up so much faster now. It definitely made a huge impact.

brasil

Reaction score
I've had a 1 piece DS for years now, but just recently installed a Mach 500 clutch and their lightened flywheel. What a difference! It weighs 7 lbs less than the oem flywheel. That's a lot of weight to take off the back of the crank, it spins up so much faster now. It definitely made a huge impact.

my Mustang has only 28000 km .. so hopefully the clutch will stay in good shape for the next 30k-40k km ...
But the lighter flywheel is a good idea. every lbs that comes off the drivetrain is a very welcome update.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back