advise on parting out

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score
hey fellas, As same may know I'm trying to sell the 09 engine i was going to shove into my 85... the question came up as to maybe I might be better off selling the engine in pieces.. I figure the short block should be god for 1K the heads maybe 1K also? since they are the better spark plugs.. then the timing chain cover is worth about 200 right? the intake maybe 100.. just trying to get a idea if maybe parting it out will help me move it quicker..

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
not too sure but i think 1k for the heads is a little high. think ive seen used heads here going for 300 if i'm correct. wish i had the cash to pick this up from you but if you part it out and i can get the shortblock i'm looking for i'll probably pick up a couple pieces. good luck man

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you sell the engine whole, you get one check...

if you part it out, you have to deal with everything...

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score

thats true also. if i were you i'd hold out til i sold the whole engine complete. someone will buy it eventually. if i had the cash i'd be all over it right now.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

^^^what he said^^^

While yes you may be able to get more parting it out. You also risk the scenario where you could have sold the entire thing for X dollars but instead you parted it out, only got half sold, and the rest of the stuff is just lingering around and you didn't make the X dollars you could have in the first place.

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score
true true..if the heads are really that cheap anyway then it would be better to just sell it as a whole.. price wise you guys think the 2200 is a fair price.. 6400 miles on it? my next offer would be that I split the shipping..

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
^^^what he said^^^

While yes you may be able to get more parting it out. You also risk the scenario where you could have sold the entire thing for X dollars but instead you parted it out, only got half sold, and the rest of the stuff is just lingering around and you didn't make the X dollars you could have in the first place.

Plus the dealing with a multiple of buyers (lowballers), and the logistics of shipping multiple parts at different times, etc. I guess it really depends does $XX more parted out worth your time/aggravation?

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Sell it as a whole. Shipping will take away from profit real quick. One and done with it... I think $2000-$2200 is more than fair for the entire motor.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back