Aeromotive Return Fuel System

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I`ve had a few members contact me in regards the Aeromotive return fuel system. I thought I would post some pictures and give my opinion on the system. I will start with stating that I`ve had / installed twin pumps, triple pumps, BAP`S, wire upgrades, etc, etc on numerous S197 applications. This is the 2nd Aeromotive return system I`ve installed - 07 and 09 GT respectively. My opinion is that the Aeromotive system is the LAST fuel system you will buy supporting 1000rwhp++ on E85. It also utilizes off the shelf Aeromomotive components that have rock solid reliability and have been track proven for many years. Here are the main components for a typical Aeromotive return fuel system on a S197.

PUMP: There are (2) in tank pumps available for the S197. The A1000 and the Eliminator. Both installs I completed had the Eliminator pump, which is the larger flow capacity of the two pumps. The Eliminator is loud at idle. However, with long tubes, no cats, etc you can`t really hear the pump during driving. The optional, and recommended, pump controller significantly lowers the pump noise. More on the pump controller below. The Eliminator pump has a nice anodized aluminum hat and uses the stock fuel sender,locking ring, and o-ring. There are a few tricks to get the pump in the tank that I won`t go into detail here.

PUMP CONTROLLER: The pump controller is an awesome piece that ships with all the wiring, fuse, connectors, etc. It`s housed in a billet case that is super easy to install and wire. It also allows you to run the pump in "low" speed to prevent fuel vaporization during street cruising. The controller uses the same square wave signal (like OEM) to lower the pump speed. The low speed is also adjustable and high speed can be activated by a hobbs switch, manual switch, or tach adapter. The pump controller is a must in my opinion. It will extend the life of the pump, prevent fuel vaporization, and significantly lower the volume of high pitched "wine" of the pump.

My controller is powered with the supplied #10 wire from the alternator stud. Even though the pump controller is water "resistant" its best to mount it inside the car. Routing all the wiring along the OEM harness on the drivers side door sill. There is grommet on the drivers firewall just above clutch pedal. Removing the inner fender liner is not required using the drivers side (easier access than the passenger side). My fuse is mounted next to the controller in the trunk. Mounting the controller in the drivers side trunk well (typical BAP location) gets you closer to the FRDM (white wire) ignition "ON" signal for the pump controller.

FILTER: Nothing fancy here - anodized aluminum with -10AN fittings. I ordered mine with a stainless filter inside for E85.

LINES/RAILS: I used stainless/PTFE (teflon) -8AN send/return lines for my car. The other application I used Fragola lines without issue. I recommend using a teflon core line if running E85. A single feed line, Y block into the rails, out of the rails into the regulator, regulator back to the tank. Fuel line size and injectors will be dependent on hp level and the fuel being used. The Aeromotive rails are anodized red and feature -8AN port on each end. You will note from the pictures that the Kenne Bell blowers do not allow room for the rear return port on the drivers rail to be used. I`ve seen some weld a -8AN fitting between the 7/8 injector ports. I machined mine to used a threaded -8AN male fitting. Either works well without issue.

REGULATOR: I used the A1000 regulator for my build. The PRO EFI regulator is only a few $ more and has a couple of advantages. -10AN ports and 3/8 NPT port for the boost reference. Either work well and support 1000rwhp++. I made a bracket to mount the regulator off of the drivers strut tower. Note that the regulator is mounted AFTER the fuel rails. The regulator has 1:1 boost reference. Meaning increase fuel pressure at 1:1 ratio as boost increases. Most tuners prefer to keep the OEM fuel pressure sensor installed. This allows the ECM to read the fuel pressure that is used as part of the injector pulse width calculations. Using the Aeromotive rails requires an additional "fuel log" adapter # 15115 to keep the OEM fuel sensor installed. I mounted mine in front of the drivers fuel rail.

The Aeromotive system is super reliable and has some advantages over a twin / triple pump systems. This system supports enough fuel for big power, more than most of us will ever need. It uses high quality components and is super easy to install. It`s worth consideration if you have any plans to make big power with your S197.

Last edited:

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Thanks for making this post. I have considered the aero setup before, but have shyed away because of the lack of real world reviews of the kit. I will have to look into this system again.

what would you say the a1000 could support on E85? Trying to figure out if the eliminator is worth the extra $100

Last edited:

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for making this post. I have considered the aero setup before, but have shyed away because of the lack of real world reviews of the kit. I will have to look into this system again.

what would you say the a1000 could support on E85? Trying to figure out if the eliminator is worth the extra $100

I would only be guessing on the maximum output of the A1000. However, I can say that the the Eliminator flows 25% more than the A1000. Keep in mind that the pump controller allows you to adjust the output. So $100 more for the larger pump is worth it in my opinion.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score

I run an A1000 system with a -10 line to the Y block then -8 lines but with a trunk mounted fuel cell. With my 25psi pulley and race fuel tune it is dropping pressure above 6500 rpm so I would say the A1000 is about out of steam at my level. I am not really sure what my HP number are but it is in excess of 700rwhp since it was 660 with the 20psi pulley a few years ago.

IMOP if you are going E85 the Eliminator is a must over the A1000

Lee

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Good write up. Like you and I have discussed before there isn't a tuner in my area that is knowledgeable on the system. And other tuners I've talked to want you installing Fore twin or triple pump return systems because that's what they know how to tune for. I think the Aeromotive is a great system that may take a while to catch on.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Aeromotive is very popular with a lot of other forced induction crowds. They make some great stuff.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back