Aftermarket Radios

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good morning all. I am in the market for a new Radio/navi/Sirius/backup camera for my '06 GT. Read some post that I found on here, but I didn't see much. I looked on Amazon about the pioneer nex8100, it doesn't seem to get great reviews. Can anyone please recommend a reliable radio that sort of fits this criteria. Thank you, Frankie Lap.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
I had a Kenwood head unit in my last Mustang, it had a 7" display with all of the above requirements. It was a nice unit, but I know they have a newer version by now. Clarion or Alpine are also nice units. If you want a good factory look at the Raxiom unit, a little pricey, but looks like a factory unit.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-gps-nav-0509.html

Last edited:

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Big question is do you want CarPlay and/or Appmode. That will narrow the choices down. I wanted CarPlay but it wasn't out yet, so I got a Clarion which had the ability to have video from the phone displayed on the unit with Apple's HDMI cable - this was when the Iphone 5 created havoc with Apple's lightning/digital video. Big waste. I would go with a CarPlay unit or one that supports both CarPlay and Appmode.

My Clarion has been trouble free for over 2 years.

I would look at the Pioneer 4100nex or AppRadio4, kenwood 6902s

Last edited:

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Check out Crutchfield for R&D, they have lots of great info and their advisors are pretty good too.

Do you, or are you planning on, have an amp? If not, I would lean more towards the Kenwood. I've been told they have better punch and fuller sound than Pioneer when it's just the head unit. If you're running am external amp, then they should all be pretty close.

I have a pioneer AVH-X3700 in my DD, and sound wise, it's solid. Got great features like auto EQ and time alignment, video input, backup camera, Sirius ready, USB, & MirrorLink. Couple things though- almost all aftermarket decks require external Sirius receivers(usually $75-100 but you can find deals on them though, sometimes free w/new subscription)

As far as CarPlay or Android Auto go, don't be fooled thinking the cheaper radios with MirrorLink or HDMI are just as good. ones that connect to your phone with HDMI use an app on the phone to send the touch inputs from the radio's screen to the phone. Those have limited phone compatibility. MirrorLink is more universal but not all phones support it , it's laggy (at least on my deck), and doesn't supply enough power to keep the phone charged if you're using a high demand app like Waze

Last edited:

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would like to start out by saying thank you all for your help. I just responded separately to each of you, and the fucking page blanked out and everything was gone. I am not good at computers in the first place, and now I'm fucking pissed. Fuck!!!
Sorry, rant over. .

I will now try and respond to the group.
I don't mind spending the money, I saw the Raxiom, just wasn't sure if it was a quality radio? I looked at the Pioneer 8100NEX, way too advanced for me.
This is my car show/cruiser so I don't drive it every day. I 100% need a backup camera due to neck surgery. I would like a radio that I can play my iPhone thru, and that I can use the Waze App for my navigation. Waze seems to be better than the navi's that come with the radio. My Explorer navi sucks, and it doesn't work half the time, which is another issue. Anyway, I don't think I would get an amp, but it's not out of the question in the future.
As far as CarPlay, my iPhone has it, but I've never used it. I just use Bluetooth in my truck. But after googling it quickly, it sounds like a great option.
I am not tech savvy nor computer savvy, so some of the info is confusing, such as mirror link, is that the same as CarPlay?
I find that a lot of radios you have to purchase Sirius receiver, although some are included. I believe with the Raxiom you have to purchase an iPod harness separately if you want to play and charge your phone thru the radio. Man, thee is a lot of stuff going on here. How the fuck am I gonna figure this out. Lol
Thank you all for your help. It appears with all the info you have given me, my research has not even begun yet. I will come back with more questions once I learn more. Unless someone says X radio station is the one for you!!

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I looked at the Raxiom unit as well, but for the price point I don't see the value. If it matched the factory 07-09 Nav exterior bezel (not look so cheap) and was priced around $499 I would take it more seriously.

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have the raxiom, install wasn't too bad. Everything works well, I keep my ipod plugged into it in my glovebox so I can always listen to my own music. The GPS is awesome, easily finds places around me via the search function, and the arrival times are fairly accurate. Plus you get the 2 year warranty.
Been using it for almost a year now and it's one of my favorite mods, looks way better than the other radios too.

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of the Raxiom, but like Cam said, it's pretty expensive. I guess if it's reliable and no problems, it may be worth the money. I always think name brand, I didn't even know Raxiom was in the radio business until a week ago.
@Tungsten_GT, I have a few questions if you don't mind?
How is the backup camera?
Does the bluetooth work for phone calls and the music and is it clear?
Do you need to purchase your own cable for the ipod, or is it included?
The same question for Sirius radio?
Also, any other info would be appreciated.
I am looking for a radio that is fairly easy to use. Thanks, Frankie Lap

I see your from the Island, I spend lots of time in Point Lookout, long Beach and Valley Stream.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I can't speak for Raxiom, but w/ my Pioneer the bluetooth sounds as clear as if you're holding the phone up to your face normally.

BTW, as far as MirrorLink vs CarPlay goes -- did some more reading and iPhones aren't compatible w/ MirrorLink. I guess it's an Android/Windows Phone thing

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes Cavero. I did a little research. Most of it confused me. Lol. I had to keep googling shit to see what it meant, so I got frustrated and took a 2 day break. I wish there was a Crutchfield store in NY. I need to talk to someone, but hate when they push something on you because they have it in stock. There is a place by me, but the owner is a pompous fucker. And now you have me thinking of an amp. Then I guess I need to change the shaker 500 speakers?

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Kenwood. I have been more than happy. I don't have the backup camera but I know I could get one and it should not be a problem to install. The only complaint I have about my Kenwood is it has a slow boot time. Other than that no problems. Good luck with what ever you choose.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Kenwood. I have been more than happy. I don't have the backup camera but I know I could get one and it should not be a problem to install. The only complaint I have about my Kenwood is it has a slow boot time. Other than that no problems. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Which one? I was looking at one the other day. Can't recall the exact model number though.

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is crazier than I thought. Between tires and radios I'm getting stressed. Lol. Half of these radios don't support apple. Not many if any support Waze. Time to get on the phone with Crutchfield I guess. So much much f'n info out there, it's insane.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Yes Cavero. I did a little research. Most of it confused me. Lol. I had to keep googling shit to see what it meant, so I got frustrated and took a 2 day break. I wish there was a Crutchfield store in NY. I need to talk to someone, but hate when they push something on you because they have it in stock. There is a place by me, but the owner is a pompous fucker. And now you have me thinking of an amp. Then I guess I need to change the shaker 500 speakers?

Yeah it sucks that Crutchfield only has a few brick and mortar stores. I happened to be in a town for a wedding that had one -- immensely helpful to be able to compare some of the different radios and subs in person.

As far as factory speakers go -- yeah you'll probably want to change them, even if you don't do an amp. Just about any aftermarket speaker is going to sound clearer and fuller than these tiny little things:

85094d1300881463-2006-2007-shaker-500-speakers-imag0061.jpg

Compare that to a pair of reasonably priced component speakers:

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

You'll hear a world of difference just w/ the deck and speakers. But an amp really is icing on the cake -- and you don't need a huge one. I put a 75Wx4 RMS amp my DD Focus -- the sound is so much fuller than my Mustang. The only thing it needs is a sub now. I keep messing w/ the EQ on my GT but I can never get it to sound as good as the setup in my Focus. The component speakers give you clear highs, the factory subs still give thumping lows, but its the midrange that seems to be coming up flat. I'm really tempted to buy another amp for the Mustang :flamingdevil: But I only drive it a day or two a week.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
This is crazier than I thought. Between tires and radios I'm getting stressed. Lol. Half of these radios don't support apple. Not many if any support Waze. Time to get on the phone with Crutchfield I guess. So much much f'n info out there, it's insane.

After using my radio for 2 years, some other advice I can give. My Clarion has Pandora built in which interfaces to the Iphone either Bluetooth or USB. What makes stereos with the "app" built in is the ability to change browse the Pandora station list on the radio and not the phone. With a stereo that has Bluetooth music playback, you don't get the extra benefits.

Knowing this, I would research the stereos that have Appmode and/or CarPlay. I know this was mentioned by the above is an example of why the "apps" or CarPlay is so much better. I think the Appmode pioneer supports Waze via Appmode. The unit also has CarPlay.

I also added a camera to mine and these cameras are very nice for such a low price.

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks that Crutchfield only has a few brick and mortar stores. I happened to be in a town for a wedding that had one -- immensely helpful to be able to compare some of the different radios and subs in person.

As far as factory speakers go -- yeah you'll probably want to change them, even if you don't do an amp. Just about any aftermarket speaker is going to sound clearer and fuller than these tiny little things:

85094d1300881463-2006-2007-shaker-500-speakers-imag0061.jpg

Compare that to a pair of reasonably priced component speakers:

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

You'll hear a world of difference just w/ the deck and speakers. But an amp really is icing on the cake -- and you don't need a huge one. I put a 75Wx4 RMS amp my DD Focus -- the sound is so much fuller than my Mustang. The only thing it needs is a sub now. I keep messing w/ the EQ on my GT but I can never get it to sound as good as the setup in my Focus. The component speakers give you clear highs, the factory subs still give thumping lows, but its the midrange that seems to be coming up flat. I'm really tempted to buy another amp for the Mustang :flamingdevil: But I only drive it a day or two a week.
Thank you. I will definitely buy a radio that can be upgraded with an amp. Not sure if all are compatible with radios. The radio will come soon, but the amp and speakers will come later as I just bought wheels and tires. I probably only put 2500-3000 miles a year on the Mustang. So I'll be looking middle of the road for everything. I think.
After using my radio for 2 years, some other advice I can give. My Clarion has Pandora built in which interfaces to the Iphone either Bluetooth or USB. What makes stereos with the "app" built in is the ability to change browse the Pandora station list on the radio and not the phone. With a stereo that has Bluetooth music playback, you don't get the extra benefits.

Knowing this, I would research the stereos that have Appmode and/or CarPlay. I know this was mentioned by the above is an example of why the "apps" or CarPlay is so much better. I think the Appmode pioneer supports Waze via Appmode. The unit also has CarPlay.

I also added a camera to mine and these cameras are very nice for such a low price.
I keep forgetting about Pandora. That is interesting to know that it comes built into the radio. Definitely will make the radio experience better. I am writing all this down to go into the shop well prepared. Thank you again for all the info and guidance.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back