Alternative to Oil Catch Can w/Saleen SC

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In lieu of a catch can, like the Stefs, etc. I came up with a possible redneck fix that requires no maintenance on my Saleen SCed engine. This may work for others as well. The key here is that the oil has a long way to go uphill. What it should do is not make it all the way up, and when the engine slows down or it is turned off, it will simply run back into the top of the opening in the valve cover. It ain't much to look at, but if it keeps the oil from being sucked into the SC and I don't have to empty a can every so often, that's a plus to me!

First remove the oil hose from the driver's side of the car and remove the foam insulation from it.

picture.php

Then cut it so that you leave 2-3" of the OEM hose behind and what you leave is straight. I used PVC pipe cutters (shown) to cut mine for a clean look.

picture.php

Press the two ends into 5ft of 1/2 inner diameter crankcase ventallation hose. Once you attach it to the engine, you can push it in further. I got 6' of this at Auto Zone for about $12. Turns out 5' is plenty. Here's what it looks like afterwards.

picture.php

Now put the straight end fitting on the valve cover hookup and the 90° end on the intake of the Saleen SC (or your particular intake). Route the hoses as shown in the two pictures below.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

You may have to mess with how it is routed, but by taking it by the top of the coil tower, it will allow the hood to close and not mash the hose. As you can see, the oil has a fight to climb uphill and a long way. Hopefully this will stop it from being sucked into my SC!

HTH

Mike

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I see the pictures just fine.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
I don't see any pictures either. I know many times when I click on an attachment, I get asked to log on a second time before the attachment shows up. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car must be retarded. I don't get any oil from the drivers side, only the passenger and that's where a Stefs breather can is going and the K&N breather is staying on the drivers side.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I see what you're doing, but that oil vapor and sludge still has to go somewhere. To me, this design may just prevent the oil from reaching the blower as quick, but in the mean time its going to accumulate in the lower portion of the tubing and start to restrict flow at some point. Since you can't empty it, you're gunna have to replace the tube.

I just checked my can and I got this much:

3916445344_ee9ababd6c_o.jpg

3915661561_f3cc4a45e0_o.jpg

That was only after three weeks. I'd rather not get that into the engine. But instead of getting rid of your idea, why not run a husky inline compressor filter? You could screw it to the firewall(since you have all the hose done) and it wouldn't look bad(redneck).

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To me, this design may just prevent the oil from reaching the blower as quick, but in the mean time its going to accumulate in the lower portion of the tubing and start to restrict flow at some point.

My hose is always running uphill so there are no low spots for anything to accumulate. The liquid oil should just run back down the hose and back into the engine when I stop. That also means I won't have to add oil as it will be going right back into the block where it belongs.

Thanks for the input...if it doesn't work, I may put a separator in it.

HTH

Mike

AirGoNomyk

Owned by a 3 legged dog
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I see what you're doing, but that oil vapor and sludge still has to go somewhere. To me, this design may just prevent the oil from reaching the blower as quick, but in the mean time its going to accumulate in the lower portion of the tubing and start to restrict flow at some point. Since you can't empty it, you're gunna have to replace the tube.

I just checked my can and I got this much:

3916445344_ee9ababd6c_o.jpg

3915661561_f3cc4a45e0_o.jpg

That was only after three weeks. I'd rather not get that into the engine. But instead of getting rid of your idea, why not run a husky inline compressor filter? You could screw it to the firewall(since you have all the hose done) and it wouldn't look bad(redneck).

Hey that's my washing machine!!! How the hell did you get it!!! lol

Back on topic...had mine on for three days and already have a small amount of oil in the separator

I don't get why they (Ford) designed it that way.

Last edited:

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
haha, that washing machine is garbage! You can have it back!

Yea I was surprised at how much. I'm more surprised Saleen didn't install on. It would not have been costly and if it saves the engine in the long run then it pays off. Oh well.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mike. keep in mind it is in vapor form when it reaches that point so the hose going uphill or downhill doesnt make a difference as its vaporized. your jsut burning it off the way the system is "supposed" to work. the plus about your method is "if" it does accumulate to the point where it bands together back into a liquid it is probably happening early enough that it slides back down the hose. the minus? it really doesn't look all that great.

Kudos for another solution to the issue at hand though :)

Rampage

Reaction score
My hose is always running uphill so there are no low spots for anything to accumulate. The liquid oil should just run back down the hose and back into the engine when I stop. That also means I won't have to add oil as it will be going right back into the block where it belongs.

Thanks for the input...if it doesn't work, I may put a separator in it.

HTH

Mike

not trying to blast you about it, it's a good idea in theory and i'm glad to see people coming up with different ideas to fix the same problem thats usually how the best inventions are born but from what i understand the oil thats getting picked up by a catch can is being removed from the vapor that would have burned anyway so adding one shouldnt take anymore oil away from the motor then your setup

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Funny you post that, I have that jar almost 1/3 filled now (from mid summer to now) yet my oil level never moves. So its either what you said, or its just such a small amount of oil that it would take a long time to show.

wdkingery

@ home installer hero
Reaction score
i think it's air that has oil in it, that floats to the end. like maybe if you filled your 5 foot of tube with steel wool, it would pull the oil out of the air.

i'm just not happy about having vacuum applied to a tube full of steel wool with no screen for that..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back