Another rear gear ?

rb042hou

Reaction score
13-3.7 auto. Trying to decide on gear swap. Leaning towards 3.27. However any input or opinions on 3.08...3.15...or 3.31? I'm fairly pleased with the acceleration with the 2.73, the little wheel chirp on second gear, and the gas mileage. Just want a little more. I'm thinking 3.31 might be to much? Will the trans be constantly shifting? And for the money is a 3.08 just throwing away money?
Thanks

Last edited:

13v6

Reaction score
I wouldn't go less than the performance pack's 3.31. You'll see a great improvement with them. I don't think you're car will shift more but it will shift sooner when you take off. I have 3.55 gears on a manual and love them. The car accelerates much better and highway MPGs dropped to around 27-28. Of course, highway here means about 70-75 which is above optimum speed for mileage. Oh, and yes, I don't think 3.08s would be worth the money to change gears.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Another vote for 3.31s out of your choices. There is very little difference between 27s and 31s
You will not be able to feel any difference with the 3.08s vs 2.73.
Hope you have a tuner to correct the speedo after the swap is done.

David Young

Reaction score
3.31 rear gears are nice. I ordered my Mustang with them. They feel so 'normal' and should have been the standard gear ratio. Ford wanted to be the 'first' car with over 300 horsepower and over 30 miles per gallon. That's why the 2.73 gear was standard equipment. I wanted more than the 3.31's and went to the 3.73 gear ratio. Most of my driving is in town or short trips on the interstate. We have a Ford Edge for our longer trips :). Good luck on your gear quest :)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back