Antifreeze mixing

46addict

Reaction score
I like the detail here. I actually pick up Ford's gold to put back in a few days ago. Parts manager didn't know why they switched to orange. Was hoping to learn something new. You seemed to cover all that 46addict. I have never had any problems with the car or cooling temps so i will put gold back in. 50/50 in the radiator and 70/30 for super charger. Planned on adding some purple ice in that mix for SC. Heat exchanger is a new take off from 13 gt500 very clean. Everything else is like new but I just fill everything with water when I start it just to flush. KEY word is when. 2 yr old and a 5wk old, so the car is setting almost ready to start. I get the stink eye ever time I think of heading to the garage. Lol. Thanks for the info.

Trying to teach our little one young while mommy wasn't watching us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am still learning as I go. Every OEM seems to have their own color and I don't know if they're all OAT/Dexcool based. I just go to the dealer to get antifreeze for whatever car I'm working on to take the guesswork out. Can never go wrong with staying within OE guidelines.

The little one working on the car is cute. When the car is used as a learning tool it becomes another reason to keep the car in the family.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All this antifreeze talk hurts my head.

I have a 2013 Fusion with the 2.0 EcoBoost and the coolant was quite low. I filled up with the Prestone orange (DexCool) and now ya'll are saying it's shit even though it's supposedly compatible with the factory orange coolant.

I also noticed on my Mustang the gold coolant is just slightly lower than the "min" line. I bought some SuperTech from Wally World that I thought was gold, but is actually green. It says it's compatible with any coolant, but from what I'm reading I should just find gold to add. A damn waste, too, since I have no vehicle that uses green.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
All this antifreeze talk hurts my head.

I have a 2013 Fusion with the 2.0 EcoBoost and the coolant was quite low. I filled up with the Prestone orange (DexCool) and now ya'll are saying it's shit even though it's supposedly compatible with the factory orange coolant.

I also noticed on my Mustang the gold coolant is just slightly lower than the "min" line. I bought some SuperTech from Wally World that I thought was gold, but is actually green. It says it's compatible with any coolant, but from what I'm reading I should just find gold to add. A damn waste, too, since I have no vehicle that uses green.
Universal coolant is fine, it will turn gold when mixed if you are concerned with some sort of discoloration. It's not near as dark as the old "green" and is designed to mix with any color or coolant.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I only mix coolants from the same brand. Ford Motorcraft coolant isn't much more expensive than that shit from Autostoned.

I got burned with a shitty little '04 Cavalier that my ex-wife owned. Granted, that was a Malaise-era GM product, but I don't take chances with coolant anymore.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
There are 2 types of antifreeze. Ethelene glycol and Propelene glycol. Those should not be mixed. Color is just a dye and is really irrelevant. That said, I still don't prefer to mix different colors of antifreeze.

Personally, I run the 50/50 Prestone green premix with Water Wetter.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are 2 types of antifreeze. Ethelene glycol and Propelene glycol. Those should not be mixed. Color is just a dye and is really irrelevant. That said, I still don't prefer to mix different colors of antifreeze.

Personally, I run the 50/50 Prestone green premix with Water Wetter.

*facepalm*

I don't know of any non-industrial engines running propylene glycol. It has significantly different freezing and boiling points than ethylene glycol.

There is more to the different colors than just dye. Different manufacturers specify different additives, which may not play nice with each other.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Its marketing mostly IMO. Same shit, make it a different color = its a NEW product, and you NEED to buy the new stuff.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
I did a drain and fill with the motorcraft gold when I added the Novi last summer at 50k. The coolant looked clean coming out.
I asked my installer if I should switch to the green and he said he doesn’t see much of a difference between the green and gold.
I’ve read more than a few people running straight water with a S/C. I’m in upstate New York where it’s currently 20*F The car is parked from October thru March, so should I switch to water, or keep the 50/50?

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
The Zerez G-05 is the same exact stuff as the Ford Gold. It's cheaper and easier to find. Use it in both my F350 and Mustang. That said, I'll use a different color, NO DEXKILL, in my S/C loop so that should there be a leak I can readily distinguish which loop has the problem.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I did a drain and fill with the motorcraft gold when I added the Novi last summer at 50k. The coolant looked clean coming out.
I asked my installer if I should switch to the green and he said he doesn’t see much of a difference between the green and gold.
I’ve read more than a few people running straight water with a S/C. I’m in upstate New York where it’s currently 20*F The car is parked from October thru March, so should I switch to water, or keep the 50/50?

If you experience freezing temps you need to run anti-freeze so it doesn't freeze. That's why the call it anti-freeze.

But straight water with water wetter will do a better job at cooling than antifreeze will. I run water and water wetter, no antifreeze, but I live in the desert. Well I lied. I do put a touch of anti-freeze in there but only for its lubricating and anti-corrosion properties, probably just under a pint.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back