any issues unhooking electric power steering?

2005mach1

forum member
Reaction score
Any issues unhooking electric power steering?

I want to put a manaul rack on my car and was wondering if I will run into problems?

Any Vendor/shops - done this yet?

Do you need to do anything in the tune/computor?

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Why do you want to get rid of it? It's not heavy like a hydraulic PS system is. You'd definitely need PCM work as I'm sure it's controlled through it.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if your interested in selling your epas rack let me know I would be interested in purchasing it .

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
It's not heavy like a hydraulic PS system is.

It actually is quite heavy. Crawl under your car and look at that thing. It's huge. It's very similar in total weight compared with a complete typical fluid system. It's a much cleaner setup, and I'd sure love to have it on mine, but lighter it's not by much. If really trying to save weight, a manual rack is the way to go. I don't know what problems that may create on the new cars though.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
It actually is quite heavy. Crawl under your car and look at that thing. It's huge. It's very similar in total weight compared with a complete typical fluid system. It's a much cleaner setup, and I'd sure love to have it on mine, but lighter it's not by much. If really trying to save weight, a manual rack is the way to go. I don't know what problems that may create on the new cars though.

Yea, its not as light as a pinto style rack thats for sure. It has a rather large electric motor with a cog belt in there, thats what helps you turn the wheel.

But OTOH I have had a couple 8 second streetable cars and they both retained power steering. Not that it was hard to convert them (plenty of bolt on kits available), but I didnt want a car that drove like a 62 ford pickup with bad kingpins. One thing if its a 2000lb tube chassied car but a 3500lb car with manual steering, even with skinnies, just plain sucks getting in and out of the trailer in crowded pits - but I'm kind of lazy :)

If its a class car or something I can see it, but not worth the .05 or so to me. At least these dont have an extra pulley and pump on the engine, and just like hydraulic assist if you dont turn the wheel hard it takes very little power to run.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back