Any way to keep map lights off ?

Gringo

Reaction score
I have a new-to-me '08 GT that I am slowing working on. So far have added JRT Series III, BAMA tunes, changed the rear end to 3.73's, and just installed a Hurst short throw shifter. I have dreams of adding a "mild" SC. I would like to get up to around 400-450 hp. It's a daily driver.

I have probably an odd question. When I stop the car at night and turn the ignition off, the map lights come on. I don't want the map lights to come on unless I decide to turn them on. I have excellent night vision and usually don't even carry flashlights at night. Having the map lights come on not only illuminates the interior and passengers to anyone outside the car, it also blinds me. Is there any non-mechanical way to prevent the map lights from coming on when the ignition is turned off, or when the doors are opened?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The map lights are controlled by the SJB, so it would involve reprogramming the SJB. I've been messing around customizing mine, but so far I've only been enable auto-locks. I've not come across any map light control function so far.

There is a "dark car" feature that can be enabled on some Fords for police use, I've not found that either yet.

travelers

Reaction score
You probable need a IDS setup to do that. Ford maybe able to do that if you talk to a service advisory at a local for dealer. Or if you want to buy on and experiment your self.

Gringo

Reaction score
Thanks, but what's an SJB or IDS?

any similarity to an SCT X4?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
SJB = Smart Junction Box. Controls all lights and many other 'body' functions. (body computer)

IDS = Integrated Diagnostic System. Ford's dealer software to configure/update/modify the computer modules on Fords.

46addict

Reaction score
The SJB has fused wires running to it so to a lay person it looks like a fuse box in the passenger side footwell. Has nothing to do with an X4 or any tuning tool.

Gringo

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. Sounds way more complicated than I need. Maybe there's a way I can replace factory switches with something that actually opens and closes circuit to the bulbs. Or add a pushbutton switch that cuts the light bulbs out. That, I understand.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you could add a relay that you'd have to press to get them to turn on and be off by default

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a new-to-me '08 GT that I am slowing working on. So far have added JRT Series III, BAMA tunes, changed the rear end to 3.73's, and just installed a Hurst short throw shifter. I have dreams of adding a "mild" SC. I would like to get up to around 400-450 hp. It's a daily driver.

I have probably an odd question. When I stop the car at night and turn the ignition off, the map lights come on. I don't want the map lights to come on unless I decide to turn them on. I have excellent night vision and usually don't even carry flashlights at night. Having the map lights come on not only illuminates the interior and passengers to anyone outside the car, it also blinds me. Is there any non-mechanical way to prevent the map lights from coming on when the ignition is turned off, or when the doors are opened?

Maybe the previous owner replaced the regular bulbs with leds. With a normal bulb opening the door should make them come on dim and then you have to physically push the button to turn them on full bright. Problem is most standard led bulbs don't have load equalizers so very little current would cause them to still turn full on and would appear much brighter than standard bulb. Easy enough to check.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, those lights are extremely annoying at night. Until I can find another solution, I'm going to remove the bulbs. As far as configurability goes with an IDS, my modest research so far indicates that they are not.

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
All my vehicles use 3M 1172c Clear RED ElectroCut sign vinyl overlays on the interior lights. (Good for night vision) Comes in yellow, green and blue also. Ask a local sign shop if they have any extra lying around.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I've got some "as-built" data from real police mustangs (06&08). I will test it to see if "dark car" function exists/works in the SJB.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Before doing anything check the owners manual. Almost everything is configurable it seems. If not there....

Remove the dome light and find the ground wire. Cut it. Route wire to a switch location of your choice re establishing the ground. The control unit can command the light to come on all it wants but the bulb will just see that it has no ground. Like it's unplugged. When you want it on. Use your switch. This is the first solution I would try if it really bothers you. I'd also make it a reversible modification.

You could put a small rocker switch on the map lamp trim.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Before doing anything check the owners manual. Almost everything is configurable it seems. If not there....

Remove the dome light and find the ground wire. Cut it. Route wire to a switch location of your choice re establishing the ground. The control unit can command the light to come on all it wants but the bulb will just see that it has no ground. Like it's unplugged. When you want it on. Use your switch. This is the first solution I would try if it really bothers you. I'd also make it a reversible modification.

You could put a small rocker switch on the map lamp trim.

There are quite a few "features" that simply are not accessible to enable/disable easily, or even listed as options in the manual. Autolocks on a manual transmission is a perfect example. I asked a Ford dealer if it was possible to enable fog lights and autolocks on my car. I was told "autolocks not possible" with manual trans, but they can turn on fog lights. This info I was given was incorrect. Fog ligths DO NOT work even after I enabled them. However my autolocks DO work. :) Some of these "features" are not even accessible with IDS.

Last edited:

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
I've got some "as-built" data from real police mustangs (06&08). I will test it to see if "dark car" function exists/works in the SJB.

Didn't know Ford built police Mustangs on the S197 platform. Thought that was a Fox thing only. Or are they aftermarket conversions?

All my vehicles use 3M 1172c Clear RED ElectroCut sign vinyl overlays on the interior lights.

Pics?

Last edited by a moderator:

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score

Picture a piece cut to fit the lens of the interior light, the two round lenses of the overhead security/light console in the mustang Or the lens of the surface mount light in an F250.

3m-electrocut-ec-film-series-1171.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't know Ford built police Mustangs on the S197 platform. Thought that was a Fox thing only. Or are they aftermarket conversions?
I didn't know either. But it seems there were a few S197 cop cars, I even found one for sale. :). I looked at the "asbuilt" data for the cop cars, and it is different than all the other trim level data I've collected. But if the "dark car" option is not part of the firmware on the SJB, it won't work. I will test this weekend.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Is there any non-mechanical way to prevent the map lights from coming on when the ignition is turned off, or when the doors are opened?
Why would the fix for something that obviously bothers you not be allowed to include mechanical possibilities? Isn't getting the problem fixed more important than the method used?

I'd have suggested a switch as well. Let the SJB think that the bulbs have burned out.

Norm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back