Any way to keep map lights off ?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Take the bulbs out completely and use muzzle flash to light the way, no one will ever fuck with you and situational awareness will not be compromised because everyone will just run.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
+1 to above. Maybe put strobe lights outside your car and super loud speakers telling people to step away from the car whenever you park

Gringo

Reaction score
Ah, but easing into a quiet parking place is part of the issue. The lights come on when the ignition is turned off. Unrelated to the doors. Obviously there is a light sensor somewhere that tells the car that it's dark. Yet, the headlights do NOT come on automatically when the car knows it's dark. Kinda screwy, I think. Headlights have to be manually switched on and off, but the interior lights come on whether you want them or not.

Unless someone else has an idea, I will probably go with my first simple fix. I'll find a pushbutton or rocker that looks okay and run both map light grounds to it. No return, no light.

Gringo

Reaction score
It does sound like that, doesn't it. Why would the other person have to be married? What if me and a girlfriend just wanted to park for a while in a dark corner of some picnic area and not have the interior washed in light?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

OR, here's another potential scenario. You've just been drag racing that idiot teenager in the WRX when the local police fall in behind you. You manage to gain a block or two on them, and then crank a hard turn into the alleyway behind a grocery store and park between the dumpsters. The cruiser comes past slowly, checking out the dark alleyways and listening for the sound of that mustang.....and you turn the ignition off to be quiet....and voila...here you are on center stage all lit up like Christmas morning.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Ah, but easing into a quiet parking place is part of the issue. The lights come on when the ignition is turned off. Unrelated to the doors. Obviously there is a light sensor somewhere that tells the car that it's dark. Yet, the headlights do NOT come on automatically when the car knows it's dark. Kinda screwy, I think. Headlights have to be manually switched on and off, but the interior lights come on whether you want them or not.

Unless someone else has an idea, I will probably go with my first simple fix. I'll find a pushbutton or rocker that looks okay and run both map light grounds to it. No return, no light.

No light sensor as far as I can tell. I found the map lights to come on if: 1 open one of the doors (obviously lol), 2 park and turn off the ignition (as stated above), 3 just inserting key in ignition, leaving it OFF after lights have turned off, car is "asleep (30 second timer?)", 4 unlocking the car with the fob. Did I miss anything?

I also find the timeout too quick after I start the car. But then again, there are times I'd want the light off as soon as I start the car. Guess I didn't realize I wanted to change this behavior. So, I will be posting results by sunday night. "In Search of Dark Car feature" :) Stay tuned....

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
the lights kick on day or night when you turn the car off, it isnt that smart.

just do the switch

Gringo

Reaction score
This falls in with another little electrical mod I have been thinking of. I am considering putting another switch in parallel with whatever turns the brake lights on, so that I can momentarily make all the tail lights come on when some bozo in a Dodge truck is tailgating me. without actually touching the brakes. Even while accelerating. I think this could be useful from time to time.

Have you guys noticed that when you see someone driving a pickup truck annoyingly, most of the time it's a Dodge Ram?

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
This falls in with another little electrical mod I have been thinking of. I am considering putting another switch in parallel with whatever turns the brake lights on, so that I can momentarily make all the tail lights come on when some bozo in a Dodge truck is tailgating me. without actually touching the brakes. Even while accelerating. I think this could be useful from time to time.

Love this idea.

Gringo

Reaction score
Or you could just Slightly Tap On Pedal.

Just sayin'
Oh yes, I agree and that's always my first response. But it doesn't seem to make much difference to some drivers. I like the idea of the lights coming on and staying on for a second or two, as if I was on the brakes harder, when I'm not. I think a momentary push switch would suffice.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I put some blue and red LED's in there. Keeps the glare down and it looks cool. Kinda like a mobile rave. Anyways, these are 9 LED bulbs. You can always do red 6 LED bulbs or even less if you don't want it very bright.

Later I ended up doing the whole interior lighting with the red and blue Ford Racing theme. Even did the center console storage and cup holders.

Either way it is not as bright as the stock interior map lights and with the red and smaller bulbs you can at least control how bright it is.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
I like the blue. Beats the shit out of the way too bright stockers. Where did you get them?

13v6

Reaction score
The most obvious answer would be to look up at the lights and see what wire they're using. Then find the wire under the dash and rewire it to a fuse type of your choice - always hot for instance. That way you can leave the lights in the off position and turn them on when you want, totally separate from anything the key is doing. I know, this is a bit mechanical but it would solve your issue.

Gringo

Reaction score
Y’all misunderstood my intent with the question about whether there is a non- mechanical means. I prefer hard wired solutions over firmware. There is no such thing as bug free software. I asked about any other ways to do this in case I was missing the obvious.
Apparently this is a glitch in design with no Ford solution.
Obvious choice for me is to install a flat toggle SPST on the overhead console where the lights are located and use that to isolate them from ground.
I wanted to know how others were handling this before cutting holes and was a bit surprised that no one else seems to object to being both blinded and illuminated every time they turn the ignition off. Bugs the hell out of me

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
my map lights don't come on until I remove the key from the ignition. Just turning the ignition off does not illuminate them, the radio and the gauge backlights stay on though.

Gringo

Reaction score
Not mine. These come on when ignition switched to off. Or when door is opened.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
my map lights don't come on until I remove the key from the ignition. Just turning the ignition off does not illuminate them, the radio and the gauge backlights stay on though.

Ditto with my 2010 auto. I thought they all did this. I will ask my local buddy who has a 2008 manual.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I was unable to find a firmware solution in the SJB.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
On my 2010, when u shut eng off, maps lights off, BUT the headlights are still on for XXX seconds, so to kill the headlights and eliminate the XXX delay, I would either have to set the delay to zero ( no delay)... or quickly rotate light switch fully CCW. I do the fully CCW trick if coming into the driveway late at night. However, the DRL is still operating...until eng is off.

So that's the drill if avoiding LE.... just don't do something stupid like barely touching the brakes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back