Anybody modded an '05-09 v6 shifter?

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Hello all, I just bought a salvage '05 V6 car to use as a daily driver (all stock, I promise I'm not modding it too much!!!), and am in the process of rebuilding it. One thing I noticed is that this thing needs a shifter. bad.

I used the search button and saw some folks are using the Hurst unit, but not many on the Steeda Sport shifter. And yes, the slick MGW deal is out there. Question is this: Anyone just modify the stock shifter? I mean, I'm thinking of making a steel block and welding to the bottom to mimic the Saleen shift block (for a LOT less than 50 bucks), and then cutting the stick off and welding a plate on to accept a Hurst stick. Am I crazy, or just a tightwad? Or both?

Thanks,
Kevin

Whoo hoo, first post! Yeah, I'm a newbie with S197....but longtime wrench on Foxbodies.

Nice site!

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Doing some homework.

Looking at the Hurst shifters from the V8 cars versus the V6 stock shifter sitting next to me, it appears that the only difference between a V8 and V6 shifter is the long rod that runs forward and anchors to the transmission. The V6 car has more of a bend to it up near the front mount, whereas the V8 shifter is flatter.

That said, if anyone is reading this post and has a V8 stock or Hurst shifter out of the car, can you measure for me the distance from the center of the shifter pivot up to the center of the front anchor mount? I am wondering if I could take a Hurst V8 shifter and simply modify (bend?) the rod running forward to create a V6 shifter. it looks suspicious in the pics I have seen...

Thanks,
Kevin

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
No worries.

I'm pretty sure that all we need to do is modify (bend) the forward rod of the Hurst V8 shifter to make a V6 shifter, but I am way out of cash at the moment, and will just modify my stock shifter for now. In the future, I do intend to keep an eye out for a smokin' deal on a real Hurst, then get to making it work. I think it would be cool for us guys with V6s to make the more common V8 part work.....and not break the bank.

Time to find some steel in the scrap bin and get the welder fired up.

Thanks,
Kevin

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a steeda shifter from a v6 that worked on my GT. had no issues with it .

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I've got another stock GT shifter coming, and when I get it, I'll be modifying it. Hurst handle up top, welded block on the bottom. Bend the forward tube down to hook to the T5. Po-boy's shifter. I'll post pics.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum. kinda unrelated to what you are doing, there was a guy around here that was welding a pin onto a hurst lever to fit on the mgw shifter. not sure where i saw it. but the mgw is more centered in the boot hole, the hurst was more to the frt if i recall. sounded like the mgw was the top choice for a shifter, but the hurst handle is just cool stuff so it made the best of both worlds. we can make a nice leather shift boot:)

ive been modding my V6 for the last 5 yrs or so. its ok to do that.

Last edited:

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Thanks.

Yep, I saw that thread when I searched. Pretty cool. Truth be told, and I had the cash, I'd buy a MGW. No-brainer.

I do like the Hurst stick, though. Gonna mod that stock one here in a few weeks and it will have the Hurst stick on it. And there will be a couple of mods to the car. Not much, though, as it will be my daily driver. 100 miles a day. This car's goal in life is to let my Saleen enjoy retirement. :)

BTW, your leather parts look great!!!

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
I had an MGW on my car and it made shifting a lot better, but still it wasn't even remotely close to a GT tranny...oh and be careful shifting it, those are really crappy transmissions I went thru 2 of them before changing to a T-56.

as a DD, its a great car...how much did it cost you? I've been thinking about getting one.

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm very familiar with T5s. Been rowing them for the past 15 years and 250k miles in various Foxbodies. I have never had a problem with one, and in my younger days, could powershift quite well. But I know the S197 is a heavier car, with more traction.

Since this will be my DD, it will not be hammered on. :)

Thanks,

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back