Anyone break an idler pulley off?

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well i know i will get that much plus a lil but its going to the down payment on my new house :tdown:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Make sure it has a garage so you have a place to park your car.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Matt the way the belt looked tells me it is too tight. When i was shredding belts it was due to the S/C and P/S [pulley alignment. When that was corrected, i started snapping belts in half, no more shredding. Yours looks similar to that. Id say get a slightly longer belt

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Matt the way the belt looked tells me it is too tight. When i was shredding belts it was due to the S/C and P/S [pulley alignment. When that was corrected, i started snapping belts in half, no more shredding. Yours looks similar to that. Id say get a slightly longer belt

Well there in lies the problem. With the 110.75" gates belt the belt rides up too high and shredds. With the 110.25" Goodyear gator back belt it snapps. The next shorter belt for Gates is 109.75 and the next bigger belt for Goodyear is 111.25" so that is the problem I am having. Also the P/S doesn't look to really be the problem, but it could be as there is some slight in and out movement on it, about 1/32 of an inch. But could this cause a problem all the way on the oppisite side of the belt path? After the belt leaves the P/S it goes to the lower driver side idler pulley, then to the crank, then to the Tensioner, then to the A/C pulley, then up to the Gripper block and S/C pulley were it gets caught between the two and either shredds or snapps.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lmao yea i know right im looking for an oversized 2 car so i can put carpet in it like billy and be comfortable while working on it :leghump:

Get a place on a hill too so that way when the hurricanes come it doesn't flood your car.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what size idlers do you have right now? go with smaller or larger to either free up some belt or take up slack to change belt sizes

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what size idlers do you have right now? go with smaller or larger to either free up some belt or take up slack to change belt sizes

I have 2x of the idler pulleys that came the GIjoe 8 rip setup. I believe when I measured them they were 85mm or 86mm. One of them is no longer usable though as it is the one that got broke off. I ordered 1x 76mm and 2x 90mm idler pulleys from Thrump_rrr, but my thinking was to just take the gripper block off.

About the P/S pump though, is there a way to tighten up the shaft so that the pulley doesn't have the 1/32 in out slop?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have 2x of the idler pulleys that came the GIjoe 8 rip setup. I believe when I measured them they were 85mm or 86mm. One of them is no longer usable though as it is the one that got broke off. I ordered 1x 76mm and 2x 90mm idler pulleys from Thrump_rrr, but my thinking was to just take the gripper block off.

About the P/S pump though, is there a way to tighten up the shaft so that the pulley doesn't have the 1/32 in out slop?

I realize it doesnt help you but i am running all 76MM pulleys which helped me find a correct belt size. It gets easier the shorter the belt gets rather than the longer it gets so it may be something you can look into. You also can play with the water pump pulley if your still on a mechanical one, though from the pics it appears to be a meziere.

As far as the PS goes, i have no slop in mine at all. it did have to be moved out a bit to get it in alignment

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I realize it doesnt help you but i am running all 76MM pulleys which helped me find a correct belt size. It gets easier the shorter the belt gets rather than the longer it gets so it may be something you can look into. You also can play with the water pump pulley if your still on a mechanical one, though from the pics it appears to be a meziere.

As far as the PS goes, i have no slop in mine at all. it did have to be moved out a bit to get it in alignment

It is the Meziere electric water pump. It too has a bit of in and out slop like the P/S pulley but they are all in alignment. We used a lazer level to make sure that they all line up and we went pulley groove by pulley groove to make sure that they all line up. And they did all line up. I wonder if there is some way I can tighten the P/S pulley and the E h2o pulley so that there is no in and out slop.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't remember having any "in and out slop" in my water pump pulley. But I wouldn't think that is causing you any problem since it is a smooth pulley and there is nothing that the belt tracks on with it. As for the power steering pump, you can try to crank down the pulley a little more, but honestly, if it is lined up I wouldn't jack with it because you can screw up your power steering pump.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't remember having any "in and out slop" in my water pump pulley. But I wouldn't think that is causing you any problem since it is a smooth pulley and there is nothing that the belt tracks on with it. As for the power steering pump, you can try to crank down the pulley a little more, but honestly, if it is lined up I wouldn't jack with it because you can screw up your power steering pump.

I tend to agree with you on the water pump. I also don't think the P/S would have that much effect being that far away.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
UPDATE

Well after getting my new pretty Thrump_rrr 90mm idler pulleys in we put them on the car and took off the Thrump_rrr S197 Saleen Extension Arm. I liked the extension arm and it really did remove all slip but on the down side the belt kept getting caught between the extension arm and the blower pulley causing the belt to either snap or shredd. Or an idler pulley boss to get ripped off. So off it has come. We started up the car and the belt float is gone and it appears that the belt problems are gone, however I didn't get to take it for a road test as when putting on the new timing cover we cut the valve cover gasket. I had to order a new one and it won't be here till Tuesday.:angry1:

Anyway, it looks like my car doesn't like the S197 Saleen Extension Arm. I'll be having mine for sale here soon.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well after getting my new pretty Thrump_rrr 90mm idler pulleys in we put them on the car and took off the Thrump_rrr S197 Saleen Extension Arm. I liked the extension arm and it really did remove all slip but on the down side the belt kept getting caught between the extension arm and the blower pulley causing the belt to either snap or shredd. Or an idler pulley boss to get ripped off. So off it has come. We started up the car and the belt float is gone and it appears that the belt problems are gone, however I didn't get to take it for a road test as when putting on the new timing cover we cut the valve cover gasket. I had to order a new one and it won't be here till Tuesday.:angry1:

Anyway, it looks like my car doesn't like the S197 Saleen Extension Arm. I'll be having mine for sale here soon.
Hey Matt,

First of all the extension arm is dsigned to work with the 3.2" and smaller pulleys which is why it's making contact with the 3.4"
What concerns me more is the length of belts you are running compared to me.

I am running a 3.2" blower pulley with a stock harmonic balancer, stock diameter Meziere eH20 pump, 100mm next to the ps pump, 90mm to the left of the blower, and a 76mm on the tensioner with a 108.8" belt.
I can't see how you are running a belt that much longer than I am.

What is different on your setup?

Hold of on selling the extension arm.
I'll see what I'm gonna do.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you wouldnt crank down on the p/s pump, you would pull it out toward the radiator. Peter and i moved mine out to correct the belt. The pulley does not sit flush on the pump.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Pete
It was doing the same thing with the 2.95" pulley too. The diameter of the pulley lip is the same on both pulleys. I didn't have a 3.2" pulley to try, I just have the 3.4' one and the 2.95" one.
I am running the 10% over drive I/W crank pulley and the V10 water pump pulley on the Eh2o pump. The tensioner has the 76mm idler pulley as well. The other pulleys are all the ones that come with the GIjoe 8 rib setup.
I tried the 109.21" Gates belt K081092 with the 2.95" pulley and it would not go on even with the tensioner pushed down all the way. I forgot the part number for it but the only belt I could find in 110.25" gates belt seems to be the correct length for my setup with the saleen arm as it puts the Tensioner at the center of its path of travel.
With the 90mm Idler pulley replacing the gripper arm it seems to put the tensioner in the same position as the when using gripper arm. By that I mean they both seem to take up the same about of belt, just in different locations.

I'll hold off on selling the extension arm.

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you wouldnt crank down on the p/s pump, you would pull it out toward the radiator. Peter and i moved mine out to correct the belt. The pulley does not sit flush on the pump.

I did not crank down on the p/s pulley. We actually used a laser level to make sure that all the pulleys were lining up grove by grove. There is some slight in and out movement on the pulley but less then 1/32" I would say, it is about enough that you can feel it pushing in and out but you can't see it.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did not crank down on the p/s pulley. We actually used a laser level to make sure that all the pulleys were lining up grove by grove. There is some slight in and out movement on the pulley but less then 1/32" I would say, it is about enough that you can feel it pushing in and out but you can't see it.

i was referring more to hawgs comment but was too lay to quote lol

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Pete
I am running the 10% over drive I/W crank pulley and the V10 water pump pulley on the Eh2o pump. The tensioner has the 76mm idler pulley as well. The other pulleys are all the ones that come with the GIjoe 8 rib setup.
...I'll hold off on selling the extension arm.
That would explain the longer belts.

Thanks

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back