anyone from seattle area? Emissions checks

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
I am moving to Seattle soon..... I have an 06gt Mustang with a Hellion turbo kit (race pipe with no cats). I was wondering if they actually sniff the tail pipe or do a visual inspection. One guy said they just check the VIN and hook up to the ODBC port and look for errors.

If I can’t keep the turbo, I might sell the car. 300hp just inst enough to keep me happy. I guess I could do the 5.0 swap with a nitrous kit, but I am guessing about $12g's for the swap, labor, tune and nitrous setup. For that money, I might as well buy a new boss (2012) next year - but damn thats $45k

Bah, this sucks. My car has 12k miles (summer only car) and in perfect condition. I spent a good chunk of change getting it exactly like I wanted.... now this.

Pics...

Stang09.JPG

Stang11.JPG

Stang12.JPG

Stang19.JPG

Last edited:

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I am moving to Seattle soon.....

Sorry to hear that..lol. Where are you heading to?

I was wondering if they actually sniff the tail pipe or do a visual inspection. One guy said they just check the VIN and hook up to the ODBC port and look for errors.

OBD2 check every other year for cars less than 10 years old if I'm not mistaken. Might be 15 years, I bought a '01 Civic late last year and they just did the OBD check, no sniffer.

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Got a great paying job at Microsoft, so probably in the redmond area. hmm, maybe this might work out if they dont sniff or visual inspection.

I got in touch with hellion, the Y pipe to be used with the Cats is $450, might be worth it if they do visual inspects.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Got a great paying job at Microsoft, so probably in the redmond area. hmm, maybe this might work out if they dont sniff or visual inspection.

I got in touch with hellion, the Y pipe to be used with the Cats is $450, might be worth it if they do visual inspects.

Microsoft...surprise surprise! LOL. I like the east side though, sadly I work up north for some little aircraft company so I'm in Mill Creek, otherwise I would move there in a heartbeat.

Anyway, as long as you're not throwing any codes, you'll be fine. My car I moved out here with had an EGR and Evap codes (it had neither), I just had the codes cleared at AutoDrone and drove straight to the inspection station since it took 10 miles or so for the codes to pop back up. It's a cakewalk here compared to California..

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Duster, I have a xcal, so I can clear any codes I need to. Thank god, I was worried I would have to give up my baby.

as for moving to Seattle, trust me when i say that it could be a LOT worse. Coming from Omaha, Ne - Detriot would be an upgrade, and that is sad. So we are excited to get out to Seattle. We are nature buffs, so we will are looking at Issaquah (sp) or maybe even a little farther east. Not sure how the drive would be, but i dont mind a 30-45 minute drive to work.

Last edited:

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Thanks Duster, I have a xcal, so I can clear any codes I need to. Thank god, I was worried I would have to give up my baby.

as for moving to Seattle, trust me when i say that it could be a LOT worse. Coming from Omaha, Ne - Detriot would be an upgrade, and that is sad. So we are excited to get out to Seattle. We are nature buffs, so we will are looking at Issaquah (sp) or maybe even a little farther east. Not sure how the drive would be, but i dont mind a 30-45 minute drive to work.

I came from the midwest...I was going to gripe about everything I dislike here, but basically if you're a nature buff you'll pretty much moving to heaven, LOL. When are they shipping you in?

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score

local, Oregon and Washington only forum called Superior Stangs. I'm on it, it's nice to talk to locals.

Good luck w/the move. Seattle is a beautiful area w/two great sports franchises, the Seahawks and the Sounders if you're a football fan.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If youl live in the right place there aren't any emissions checks. Go outside of Issaquah a few miles and you will be fine. There is a Washington state website with all the emissions testing info. It will turn up in a google search. For the rest of us it's obd2 for a 96 or newer vehicle.

I've had them do a visual once. Of all things it was on my very stock 2003 gmc pickup. Go figure. No tests for the first 5 years of a new vehicle and no tests on a 2009 or newer that conforms to carb as built by the manufacturer.

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
We will be out there the week of March 21st. I start the next monday. I will checkout the local stang site.

As for football..... thats all we have here in Nebraska. Die hard Husker fan, but pretty much a fan of all college football. Saturdays consist of me watching football all day on our 120in 1080p projector. I hope they have the B1G 10 network out there.

Bruce, i found the site, thanks. Looks like just three counties around seattle test (as well as west Washington). I wonder if they do a visual inspect on cars being brought in from other states.... Any idea why they visual inspected your truck?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
We will be out there the week of March 21st. I start the next monday. I will checkout the local stang site.

As for football..... thats all we have here in Nebraska. Die hard Husker fan, but pretty much a fan of all college football. Saturdays consist of me watching football all day on our 120in 1080p projector. I hope they have the B1G 10 network out there.

Bruce, i found the site, thanks. Looks like just three counties around seattle test (as well as west Washington). I wonder if they do a visual inspect on cars being brought in from other states.... Any idea why they visual inspected your truck?

No, It's totally stock, wheels and all. I think the guy was just an asshole. He asked if it was modified, looked under the hood, and ran a long handled mirror under it.

They also have a couple of self serve kiosks. I haven't tried one yet.

FYI go to www.stangnation.com for directions and come out or sign up for the April 2 dyno day. $70 for a few pulls and lots of local stangs. Drag racing starts in April and this is a prelude.

Have you always lived in NE? I ask because I grew up in SD and living here took awhile to get used to. Weather just like Germany but no Germans or German food.

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
Bruce,

Ya most of it. Spent some time in KC and San Deigo, but most of my life has been in Omaha.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back