Anyone used Cryogenic-ally Treated Rotors for Track use?

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
A neighbor of mine was telling me about cryogenic treated rotors since he know I track my car. Has anyone had any experience with these on the track or daily use? What would be the pros/cons of them?

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
Cryo treated rotors supposedly stress relieve the cast iron similar to seasoning the rotors by heat cycling them prior to track use. I don't know how well it works at preventing cracks or slowing wear rates, but that's the theory
Steve

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've been tracking the Vette more than the Mustang. I tried some Cryo treated Centric rotors last year and found they lasted no longer than the non cryo treated rotors. Not worth the extra money in my opinion. Just be sure to season new rotors with some around town driving before going to the track and you'll be ok.

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
Did you notice and performance difference? It's also said that it's suppose to prevent warping

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Did you notice and performance difference? It's also said that it's suppose to prevent warping

I noticed no difference in performance between the cryo Centrics and the regular Centric rotors. I always used take-off rotors (NTO) on my Mustang and never had an issue with warping or cracking.

My other car is a C5 Z06 and they seem to eat rotors. They crack before they wear out. I probably go through fewer than three other Z06 owners I track with, maybe I'm a little easier on the brakes... The cryo rotors didn't last any longer than the non-cryo rotors.

If you stay away from cheap Chinese rotors and season them with some street driving before tracking them, you shouldn't have an issue with warpage.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a thread from the dead, but I'm in the market for rotors and was wondering to see if anybody still sees the Cryogenic rotors as not a good ROI?

If that is the case, Rock Auto has a nice deal with their forum discount that I am ready to use on non-cryo sets of Centric/Stoptech rotors >:).

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I just got centric rotors and stoptech pads. I'm super pleased with them so far, definitely used them to potential a few times, but no track time... I usually crack cheap rotors within 20-25k on the street, so we will see how these hold up.

Edit: might have been stoptech rotors... i dont have my invoice anymore. they've got black PC hats.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Well Centric and Stoptech all have black hats, but Stoptech offers either the slotted or drilled rotors. Centrics are just blank versions (both brands are E-Coated, double ground, etc.). All of their rotors offer the cyrogenic stuff, but it is like a $50 premium. Reading around, everyone is about 50-50 on the cyro decision. I'm just curious if people are still in the camp of "not worth the extra $$$." If that is the case, I'm ready to pull the trigger on regular Stoptech's.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Well Centric and Stoptech all have black hats, but Stoptech offers either the slotted or drilled rotors. Centrics are just blank versions (both brands are E-Coated, double ground, etc.). All of their rotors offer the cyrogenic stuff, but it is like a $50 premium. Reading around, everyone is about 50-50 on the cyro decision. I'm just curious if people are still in the camp of "not worth the extra $$$." If that is the case, I'm ready to pull the trigger on regular Stoptech's.

I've had Centric rotors on my car and, more recently, Stoptech slotted rotors.

I get less brake fade from the slotted rotors than from the non-slotted Centrics, for what it's worth. I can't yet comment on pad life with the slotted rotors.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
i-zj8rgdN.jpg

Cryo-treated rotors fall into this category

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Figured as much. I went ahead and ordered the non-cryo rotors earlier today. About $350 total after shipping for a full set of Stoptech Slotted. Going to order pads, SS lines, and fluid next week.

claudermilk

Reaction score
i-zj8rgdN.jpg

Cryo-treated rotors fall into this category

:lol:

I'll just add that Terry's recommendation to stick with the simple non-slotted or -drilled Centric rotors is a good one. I now have two track days & a few autocrosses plus miles of DD and they have taken it all in stride.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I went ahead with the slotted because the difference in surface area was +/-5%. Everyone, even manufacturers, said drilled will definitely crack under track use. Not too concerned about wear as the pads took about 2.5 seasons to wear out. The rotors that are on there now are the ones that came from the factory. 67k miles of fun it has been through.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hawk HPS. It is funny cause not a lot of people like the Hawk's on the Mustang's.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Hawk HPS. It is funny cause not a lot of people like the Hawk's on the Mustang's.

The HPS 5.0's are good. I don't know about heavy track use, but they are decent pads.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Yeah I just looked and saw that they had a couple newer pads out. A few reviews of the Fiesta and Focus ST guys with Hawk's "Street Race" pads left a bad taste though. A lot of people were reporting low mileage, and excessive rotor wear.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The HPS 5.0's are good. I don't know about heavy track use, but they are decent pads.

The HPS 5.0s are completely kickass for street and autocross use. Pedal feel is incredible. Feels like you're grabbing the rotors with your bare feet. Plus they work in low temperatures, have zero dust, and make almost no noise. Definitely a good choice for street or autocross use.

They have a higher temperature threshold than their other street pads, but I don't know how long they'd hold up under track use. I'd run HP+ or one of their actual racing pads, personally. I have a "track night" next week, and I'm planning to use my HPS 5.0 pads, so we'll see how they hold up. Track Nights are pretty low-key, though, so I don't expect my brakes to get too much of a workout.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back