Audio Systems

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
I was satisfied at first with my Shaker 500 audio system, but a couple years later and it could definitely use an upgrade. I'm looking to replace all of the cabin speakers, but also looking to add something in the trunk. This isn't a German car so I don't want anything huge or heavy. I don't blast my music, so I simply want some more quality volume and bass.

I really like the JL Stealthbox, but at $1,000; that just isn't going to happen. Are there any other units out there that are as small, and out of the way as the stealthbox? Also, hopefully, with a much lower price tag?

I'm hoping to not have to make one on my own, but I can certainly save $800 by doing it myself. Any advice or information would be great.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I built my own stealth box. Looks just like the JL box but much cheaper. Fits in the right cubby hole of the trunk. Cost me the price of a sheet of MDF, liquid nails, screws, and some flexible fabric. Equiped with an Alpine Type-R 10". Front and rear speakers were swapped out for Pioneer 6x8's and I have component tweeters mounted in the door as well. Sounds very good and did it relatively cheap. Helps that I used to do stereo installs on the side so all installation and fabrication is done by me.

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
My brother has done a few too, so maybe it wouldn't be such a big project. If you don't mind me asking, what did the total run you? I'm assuming around $500 for all equipment, rear sub, and front speakers?

Do you have pictures or a thread of the unit/install? I'm curious to see how the back of it curves and the final product.

panama

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to try to mimic the stealthbox soon. I did a simple angle box against the back seat but takes up some room. As for the front doors I'm going back with a 6.5 component system in the front in place of the 8" door and the tweet in the 5x7 hole. I was able to fit 6.5 midbass in the back but 5 1/4 would work better

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
My brother has done a few too, so maybe it wouldn't be such a big project. If you don't mind me asking, what did the total run you? I'm assuming around $500 for all equipment, rear sub, and front speakers?

Do you have pictures or a thread of the unit/install? I'm curious to see how the back of it curves and the final product.

I dont have a build thread on it as my brother in law (install bay manager at best buy) and I did it one afternoon while powering down a 12 pack. Beer and power tools always seem to make for creative builds around our houses. I'll snap a few pics of it today as soon as I get a chance to give you an idea though. Again, on the cost, I got everything for next to nothing with my brother in law's discount from Best Buy.

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Have you already replaced the headunit with an aftermarket one or is it still the Shaker500 you have in there?

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
Have you already replaced the headunit with an aftermarket one or is it still the Shaker500 you have in there?
Still have the 500, but I'm planning on upgrading that as well to something relatively cheap. I want to spend around $500 for everything when it's all said and done. I don't need a great system but definitely something upgraded.

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Just changing the headunit will amplify your system as my Jensen did for mine. Much more bass and treble plus you have the controls to increase it. I still have my audio system(minus the trunk lid system) availible for sale. 800rms from 2 extra 8" subs. Box built for our cars. $350 plus shipping, look for my topic about my audio system

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
Just changing the headunit will amplify your system as my Jensen did for mine. Much more bass and treble plus you have the controls to increase it. I still have my audio system(minus the trunk lid system) availible for sale. 800rms from 2 extra 8" subs. Box built for our cars. $350 plus shipping, look for my topic about my audio system
That's actually why I want a headunit, for whatever reason, I've noticed that it definitely amplifies the overall sound system.

http://www.zenclosures.com/2005_10_Mustang_Corner_Mount_Subwoofer_Box_p/05mustangcorner.htm

Your going to end up spending more than 500 to do your cabin speakers, an amp and sub/box and wiring.
That actually isn't a bad alternative for the box. I would definitely be shopping around, I can't imagine spending more than a few hundred on all of that stuff. If I have to buy an overtstock item, than so be it.

I may just do them separately. Head unit and cabin speakers, than a 10" in the back a year later if I'm not satisfied.

Now my question go to, what are the preferred cabin speakers and tweeters?

Surfstang2020

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah just changing the head unit will help I got the pioneer double din 3300bt touchscreen and love it if you have an i phone you can play pandora and do other cool stuff on there as well

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah just changing the head unit will help I got the pioneer double din 3300bt touchscreen and love it if you have an i phone you can play pandora and do other cool stuff on there as well
Yeah I have an iPhone, that's cool than. Do you have pictures of the unit? Ebay has them for $325 which is a good deal. Any pro's/con's with your unit?

Surfstang2020

forum member
Reaction score
627a05a7-2b2d-88fb.jpg
here's a iPhone pic of it doesn't really have any cons that I can think of I like how it looks factory and flush mounted its a pretty easy install to me and a couple of my buddies installed it in a couple of hours

Sent from your moms phone

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
That has to be one of the cheapest newer name brand models. All of the reviews were good too, and it does look factory which I like. Being able to watch Netflix via the iPhone was a deal setter for me.

If you don't mind me asking, what install trim kit is that? It seems to fit perfectly.

Surfstang2020

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was like 4 hundred and some change I beleive but mine was bought at best buy when they first came out a little while ago I like it because of the price and thats actually the kit that I got at best buy also

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
http://www.zenclosures.com/2005_10_Mustang_Corner_Mount_Subwoofer_Box_p/05mustangcorner.htm

Your going to end up spending more than 500 to do your cabin speakers, an amp and sub/box and wiring.

I have this box that I bought from them on eBay last year for $140 shipped. It has been an excellent quality box in terms of craftsmanship.

That actually isn't a bad alternative for the box. I would definitely be shopping around, I can't imagine spending more than a few hundred on all of that stuff. If I have to buy an overtstock item, than so be it.

Look into the MTX boxes as well. I believe they still make one where you don't have to buy the sub/amp combo combined with it. There was also another company that built boxes for the corner mount of the trunk that started with an S. I used to have a link to it bookmarked but lost it after my PC crashed in September.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back