Best ecm/pcm replacement for 06 GT

Hennessy

Reaction score
My 06 GT has a computer glitch that’s affecting idle and ac randomly I had 2 separate places check this out after I could not figure out why I had those issues. The ford dealer and a hot rod shop I know who specializes in stangs. What is the replacement I should get there are many options at different prices I don’t wanna waist money if I can get a great one for lower price. Also I will modify my stang down the road so if there are aftermarket computers that make this easier those would be preferable if they have good reputation and won’t fail on me like the motorcraft computer did.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
It is very rare for the PCM to fail. It's often a connection somewhere, rather than the PCM itself. The cheapest option is probably to find another factory PCM in a junkyard car... but you'll likely need access to a dealer programmer to reset PATS, and throw in the "as-built" data for your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hennessy

Reaction score
Well that doesn’t sound too hard to do, so the ford dealer should have that ability? I’ll ask em. Do they all have the pats for 2006 gt’s? Cause I got a good junk yard part finder site I know for my state can but just any 06 v8 pcm will be able to work from a junkyard stang?

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Choose a PCM from a car that's similar... If you have a GT Coupe, don't get one for a Convertible V6. A dealer should be able to wipe the new PCM and download the "as-built" data for your car to write to the PCM.
Using this: https://fordvcm3ids.com/products/fo...6dCEANpOyOk1t6pExEsb79xPJ0FwzxxoCZGkQAvD_BwE Should be about an hour of shop time, maybe 30 minutes if they are nice and knowledgeable.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hennessy

Reaction score
Alright I start searching for my ecm and get that taken care of ac is needed to work in fl also the bogging it does randomly.

Tinkertech

Reaction score
My 2006 GT 4.6L had a bad ecm. AC intermittent, mil light on, O2 heater DTC fault.
The ecm had a bad solder joint inside.
Could not find a really good replacement so I troubleshot it myself. Located the bad solder and reflowed.
This is a common issue with these computers. Google it.
The troubleshooting and repair was quite hard to accomplish. Don’t recommend you try unless you’re very good at board level repair.
Search this forum for I have a detailed description of the process.
Good luck.

Back