BFG Rival availability

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
For those that have used the Rival and Rival S, how much more grip does the S offer and how much faster does it wear?

It's dramatic. A lot more grip. A lot less life. I can't quantify it though.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Were you ever able to compare them to V710s (I think that is what you ran?)?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
It's dramatic. A lot more grip. A lot less life. I can't quantify it though.

Hm. I've been really happy with this set of 275 Rivals, nothing to complain about but sadly they won't last forever. Any chance I can flip them on the wheel?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Were you ever able to compare them to V710s (I think that is what you ran?)?

No...I only had one set of v710's, back in 2013, on the mustang.

Also to clarify....I ran regular rivals on the mustang, rival s on the corvette, hoosier A6 on both.

Since the Rivals and Rival S weren't on the same car, I can't really quantify any difference- drastic differences in weight and suspension being what they are.

The Rival S feels like "almost an R6" to me

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Hm. I've been really happy with this set of 275 Rivals, nothing to complain about but sadly they won't last forever. Any chance I can flip them on the wheel?

Sure, if there is tread left to do that. I *think* I remember reading that the Rival carcass is symmetric, event though the tread pattern is not.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Sure, if there is tread left to do that. I *think* I remember reading that the Rival carcass is symmetric, event though the tread pattern is not.

That is pretty much my thoughts. I thought I heard it could be done, but when looking at the tread pattern it's obviously not symmetrical so I wasn't entirely sure. Too many street miles with aggressive camber has burned up the insides a little too fast, even with regular rotation. There's like a 2/32nd spread. Lol

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
For those that have used the Rival and Rival S, how much more grip does the S offer and how much faster does it wear?

Quite a bit. I can't give you a time delta personally since I moved up in size at the same time (275s on 18x10 rivals vs 315s on 11s for the Rival S).

GRM's tire tests last year had them as 1.5-2 seconds quicker on a 47-49 second autocross course and .7-.8 on an 87ish second roadcourse.

The good news was I set personal bests on 4 track configurations with the Rival S. The bad news is I took a set from 7/32 to the cords in 5 track days. This is with really moderate weather ranging from 45 to only 80 degrees. I shudder to think how bad they would wear on actual hot days.

That's basically burning down $270 in rubber per track day. Ouch. I've got to go back to something that is more durable. Falkens maybe

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
There's a guy on the Corner Ponies FB group who's looking to offload a set. His name is Brandon Scott Garcia.

yup yup, im looking at STP so im probably going to buy some rival S tyres. So depending on demand of my 295 regular rivals I have (which seems to be high) ill sell them and get the S(s) since all I do is autocross and I have a set of 275 RE71r that im looking to ride till they DIE! apparently let are good till they cord.

So yeah just send me a PM if you are interested. Shipping wont be too delayed but next week is pretty clear for me so it would be best to make a deal soon so I can get them unmounted.

As far as wear I ve used them for about 30 runs on autox courses about 40-50sec courses. plus about 700miles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back