Black Shaker hood on Torch Red Stang

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Its not technically a DIY but more of a "FYI" and "What do you think about this?"

I bought my GT new and had the dealer install the "Shaker" cai. I've wanted to black out the hood since I bought the car but never wanted to spend the bread on a paint job. Then, this free black hood with a Super Snake system came up, here!!! It was offered to another member for free. He turned it down because of the big hole in it but it was perfect for me.

Well, the SS shaker is a bit different than the regular CDC Shaker. I made a small alteration to make it fit. Here's some pics.

With the plastic ring and most of the double sided tape gone, I use a 2X4 wrapped in a chammis (sp) to prop the red hood.

blackhood001.jpg

Next, I use some gift wrapping paper to draw up a template. I drape the paper over the hood and secure it with masking tape. I go over it with a pencil to find the squirters, hood's center, and the huge hole for the scoop. Oh, CDC wanted 10 bucks for a new template so I said "no thanks." I'm that cheap folks! lol!

blackhood003.jpg

I trace all the above and carefully cut out the squirters and hole. I place my template over the pre-tapped black hood and draw my lines where I'll cut with the saw.

blackhood005.jpg

I used a sharp blade to cut away the extra tape. The black is what needed to be removed according to my template...

blackhood006.jpg

As it turned out, the opening needed to be larger towards the front and a hair over to the driver's side. Here's what I removed. It's about 3/4 of an inch at its thickest but enoungh not to allow the plastic ring to go on.

blackhood007.jpg

About 10 minutes with a saber saw, the transfer of the hood heat sheild, the latch, and the squirters... wah-la!!!

blackhood009.jpg

blackhood011.jpg

blackhood012.jpg

Yeah, it began to drizzle when I started taking these last few pics.

blackhood013.jpg

Truth be told, I'm not sure how I feel about it. The black against the red is very striking. I think some black wheels would do it justice. I may throw the black pedestal wing I was running back on there or even buy a black trunk. Not reall sure...

Gerardo

Solar_Eclipse2

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good. IMHO I'd think it would look better with black wheels, black roof, and the black deck lid.

Kona6Stang10

forum member
Reaction score
Black wheels, black roof, black decklid.....Soo...what he said ^^ lol

I like it though!

Solar_Eclipse2

forum member
Reaction score
If you come up with your own black deck lid and spoiler, getting the roof sprayed would be inexpensive.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Looks good bro. Glad that worked out for you.

My car is white. I have been thinking about painting my hood black and running a black strip from the back of the hood, down the fender, and along the bottom of the car. I just can't make up my mind as to if I want to keep the shaker black or pait it white like the rest of the car, so it will stand out.

I thought seeing yours would help me make a choice, but now I am really not sure. LOL

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good bro. Glad that worked out for you.

My car is white. I have been thinking about painting my hood black and running a black strip from the back of the hood, down the fender, and along the bottom of the car. I just can't make up my mind as to if I want to keep the shaker black or pait it white like the rest of the car, so it will stand out.

I thought seeing yours would help me make a choice, but now I am really not sure. LOL

Thanks Marc!

Looks awesome, but what is up with your foglights?

They're an experiment. Here.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45332

Gerardo

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I like the car w/the hood as is. I'd be careful about adding too much black. It would seem like more black would help, but I would think it will really detract from the car.

That's exactly what I'm struggling with. When's too much, right?

I'm going to do the rear spoiler and a black chin spoiler. Maybe I'll borrow a buddies black wheels just too see if I like the look. I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to painting fixed body parts like the roof just yet.

Gerardo

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
whole carl ooks great man ! thanks for the pictures !

DAV.TUK

forum member
Reaction score
Great find and nice work. I am with the Black top/wheels/truck.

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
Looks a million times better than I ever imagined it to be. One of my buddys was thinking about doing this exact same thing last year, but I talked him out of it.......i might have to show him this thread now. Anyways, rattle can the wheels; if done right with GOOD QUALITY paint, it will look great, and last forever. Then use the money you saved from buying new wheels to buy a Black spoiler......those are a dime a dozen on fleabay and usually are EXTREMLY cheap

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Looks a million times better than I ever imagined it to be. One of my buddys was thinking about doing this exact same thing last year, but I talked him out of it.......i might have to show him this thread now. Anyways, rattle can the wheels; if done right with GOOD QUALITY paint, it will look great, and last forever. Then use the money you saved from buying new wheels to buy a Black spoiler......those are a dime a dozen on fleabay and usually are EXTREMLY cheap

Thanks a lot. I was beginng to doubt myself... Yeah, the black OEM spoilers are cheap to say the least. Maybe I can trade my GT500 to someone locally. I'd be scarred to to paint the wheels myself though.

Gerardo

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back