Blend door drumming

tomwas

Reaction score
Now that the weather has chilled here in upstate ny im getting the dreaded blend door drum roll upon entering the car... Have to pull some panels and diagnose which is the offender... Joining the masses that have resolved this problem... Oh yeah, had my engine bay detailed last week. Had won a gift certificate at a car show in july with my 63 comet. Finally came in handy for my 09. Bay wasimg_5_1700333343156_kindlephoto-425777392.jpg disgusting... Now looks great. I know the owner of the shop, good guy...

Resized_20231116_155702.jpeg

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on which one it is, they are relatively easy to replace. There is one howver that Ford's better idea came into play. It is attached to the back side of the evaporator box. Box needs to be removed to replace.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I like to try to put a hand on them when turning the key on. Have someone turn the key on if needed. You can feel the broken gears grinding when the key is turned on :) .
And yeah, they're a pita. I have another one I need to replace now.

Oh, and avoid the cheapy aftermarket replacements. You'll be redoing the job within a year.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The only blend door actuator that's a PITA to replace is the one behind the gauge cluster. The other three are much easier and 100% agree on only going for Motorcraft replacements. They're inexpensive anyway and you can find them at Rockauto.com
I've produced the same write-up in the link as a downloadable pdf file for those who'd like it as a reference.

Attachments

• Blend Door Actuator Replacement.pdf
    869 KB · Views: 9

tomwas

Reaction score
Thanks all, yeah I can hear it on the right side. I've seen a YouTube for it.. Glove box and airbag removal should do it... Is the Dorman unit a good replacement..?? Forgot to mention, although I'm getting the drumming it seems all the vent routing is working correctly...

Last edited:

asdrew

Reaction score
When I acquired my '07 last year one of the actuators was very bad so I contorted myself, cussed a bunch, and got it replaced.
The other day Wifey said her HVAC wasn't switching over on one side in her Lincoln MKT. I looked up to see where it was, and found out they made it easy. Off the the junkyard to get a replacement.
Drop down the glovebox, and there it is, easy-peasy!
1702391763897.png

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back