Boosted 6's

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
Are there any V6's on here running boost? If so, what mods if any did you do to the engine? I'm looking at the D1SC when I get back from Iraq, and was thinking of running SSM's stage 3 heads/cams kit. I also want to run a meth kit with it. Anyone do this....pros/cons?

martino

Reaction score
supercharger

Are there any V6's on here running boost? If so, what mods if any did you do to the engine? I'm looking at the D1SC when I get back from Iraq, and was thinking of running SSM's stage 3 heads/cams kit. I also want to run a meth kit with it. Anyone do this....pros/cons?

i have a custom supercharger that i designed running 7 psi at 6,000 rpm with all stock internals. the SSM heads would be a serious upgrade that will benefit your project. you might want to tell them what you plan on running so they can design the proper cams for you....this is an expensive option but well worth the money.. other forrums have people running 10 psi of boost with stock internal with no problem..i chose 7psi to keep it conservative.
I also have a methanol injection kit. With it, my car dyno'd 270rwhp and 290rwtq with the methanol kit and 7 psi at 6,000rpm.

i sell the methanol kits if you are interested..

calispecial08

forum member
Reaction score
your car looks pretty sweet man but as much money as you're looking at spending with heads, cams and a procharger...you'd be better off trading for a v8..just saying...

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1. Think about your ultimate power goals. Yes, you can put a blower on a V6 and kick the hell out of nearly-stock V8s (many of us on here have done that). But, there's only so much you can really do to a V6, even with a built bottom end, cams, etc. For the money spent, you're far better off IMO doing such work to a V8. You'll have a much stronger base to build upon, and can attain much higher power levels more easily.

But, it all depends what you want to do. it is VERY fun to have a sleeper V6 with some good power. And while I do miss the Vortech-blown V6 setup I had, having a V8 is far better.

With a V6, you'll need to upgrade part of the drivetrain, including the rear end to a 8.8 and a better driveshaft. Depending on fuel requirements, you may also have to do some minor upgrading to the fuel system (boost-a-pump or wiring upgrade).

That's pretty-much all you have to have for a blower setup.

You will be putting out more power, so you'll need better tires (at least GT OEM take-offs) and preferably better suspension components (LCAs at a minimum).

Get you ass back here from Iraq safely!

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
True, I could get a V8...I really want the 5.0 :) but this car's really grown on me, and so far, I've done enough to keep going with it and get as much out of it as I possibly can. Plus my oldest daughter wants my car (once she's proved herself on her mom's Sentra). As far as the drivetrain, I've gone 4.10 w/T-Lok, and am planning on going for an aluminum D/S. I really want to do heads/cams also, but that probably won't be in the near future because of the cost involved including the initial purchases. And thanks for the well wishes. I promise to get back in one piece.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
I was going to boost my V6... and then I just did a V8 swap like Mike.

If it were me though, i'd just go with an xcharger if you want to avoid a swap. I love that whine...

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
True, I could get a V8...I really want the 5.0 :) but this car's really grown on me, and so far, I've done enough to keep going with it and get as much out of it as I possibly can. Plus my oldest daughter wants my car (once she's proved herself on her mom's Sentra). As far as the drivetrain, I've gone 4.10 w/T-Lok, and am planning on going for an aluminum D/S. I really want to do heads/cams also, but that probably won't be in the near future because of the cost involved including the initial purchases. And thanks for the well wishes. I promise to get back in one piece.

sweet, now, git er done. If everyone had a V8 it would be boring. Everyone is going to tell you to do a V8. For those that swapped it was right, but it aint right for everyone. Do your own thing, you have a great start, your car looks killer. Keep it, boost it.

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
@Kuro: At first, I was thinking about going with the X-Charger Xtreme. I first heard the whine about 2 years ago and was hooked. But thing is that I can get the upgraded procharger, which makes more power for less money. The only thing I don't think I would get is the whine. So what it boils down to is whether or not I'm willing to sacrifice mpg's for hp.

@Ken: Thanks, and I can't wait to get outta here so I can move forward with my project. So far, all I have is a KB 20amp BAP. But we all start somewhere lol.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Prochargers whine like crazy!

With higher hp, you'll generally lose mpg. It's hard to not get "sporty" at times, the lead foot syndrome is hard to fight!

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
@Kuro: At first, I was thinking about going with the X-Charger Xtreme. I first heard the whine about 2 years ago and was hooked. But thing is that I can get the upgraded procharger, which makes more power for less money. The only thing I don't think I would get is the whine. So what it boils down to is whether or not I'm willing to sacrifice mpg's for hp.

@Ken: Thanks, and I can't wait to get outta here so I can move forward with my project. So far, all I have is a KB 20amp BAP. But we all start somewhere lol.

+1....my procharger screams. Not a whole lot at WOT but maybe thats cause my exhaust. But at idle...well, here you go.

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
IMO, the charger whine defeats the whole purpose of the V6 sleeper mold. Besides, I think it would be embarrasing to pull up next to someone with the charger whining, and get dusted. People expect cars that "whine" to move. I vote for a silent charger if you stay V6.

Now on a V8, that all gets thrown out the window, lol.

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
Damn! I didn't think that centri's whined like that! I thought for the most part they were quiet. Honestly, I thought about trading up for the 5.0, but I don't want another car payment, which is the reason I came out here to begin with (pay off everything). So I guess it's a good thing that I'll be out here for a year, because I'm sure I'll be going back and forth on this for a while. This is going to be a tough year lol.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Damn! I didn't think that centri's whined like that! I thought for the most part they were quiet. Honestly, I thought about trading up for the 5.0, but I don't want another car payment, which is the reason I came out here to begin with (pay off everything). So I guess it's a good thing that I'll be out here for a year, because I'm sure I'll be going back and forth on this for a while. This is going to be a tough year lol.

Just do an xcharger. It'll sounds cool and its easy to do. Make 300whp all day and call it quits. Then give it to your daughter, it'll be more than fast enough to her and her friends will love it.

boss 245

Reaction score
You will have plenty of power with a vortech, I run 12.04 on boost alone, 7.7 in the 1/8th, so there is plenty of down low power on my V6.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Hey man, I'm a 19 year old college kid.
I'm broke as a joke after this summers motorswap.

Mike, I'm pretty sure you got a daughter as well! I just broke up with my girlfriend so don't be surprised if y'all hear a 5.4 V6 rolling through your neighborhoods sometime soon

JimC

Reaction score
I like the whine of my Xcharger:

And the V12 BMW driver was surprised

Can't seem to embed the video, I'll try again

Okay, guess I fail at embedding
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZdx66OpM54?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZdx66OpM54?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back