braided clutch line swap

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
05R0210.jpg

Also I highly recommend doing a thorough sweep of your work area before starting and lay out a barricade around the perimeter before popping one of those clips off. Maybe even position a few of those magnetic bolt trays strategically around the line in the off chance one might catch the clip. Not only do they have a bad habit of flying off into never never land, but they are also virtually impossible to purchase without buying a complete replacement hose assembly from Ford.

syclone50

forum member
Reaction score
05R0210.jpg

Also I highly recommend doing a thorough sweep of your work area before starting and lay out a barricade around the perimeter before popping one of those clips off. Maybe even position a few of those magnetic bolt trays strategically around the line in the off chance one might catch the clip. Not only do they have a bad habit of flying off into never never land, but they are also virtually impossible to purchase without buying a complete replacement hose assembly from Ford.

I went through what you are describing. The swap was not difficult but finding the dam clip when it flew off....never found it. I think it went up into the engine bay somewhere and laid down, hiding from me. I was able to buy just the 90 degree elbow from the 05-10s from ford. It was only $12 and now I have an extra clip too!

good Luck

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
Ill be doing my line Tuesday, got hit up harbor freight for some long needle nose pliers and a pick kit

Justinjor

JUIC3D
Reaction score
Long screwdriver does the trick. The clip just slides back ~1/2" or so but shouldn't come completely out so be careful not to damage it.

D

Deleted member 162826

I did this mod and put it off because I thought it would be a pain... It took me less than 15 minutes lol. Easiest mod ever with the right tools. Huge difference with all my other supporting mods. Stock clutch and tranny holding 650 fine..

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
from what Ive been reading, its easier to remove the black plastic elbow from the transmission then remove the stock line and install the new one, then reinstall the elbow, looks easier to reach.........

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
So just how easy / hard is this to do on jackstands?

Don't have easy access to a lift.

D

Deleted member 162826

So just how easy / hard is this to do on jackstands?

Don't have easy access to a lift.

I did mine on jack stands. I also don't have cats so that might of bought me some room. I also don't have huge hands and after some twisting and figuring how to get my hand up there to pop the new line in the tranny, I got it. Getting the new line into the tranny was the hardest part by far but like I said took me 15 minutes.. It took longer to pump the clutch by hand and pull the old dot 3 out with a turkey baster lol.

Here's a tip though if you're running the stock dot 3 fluid. Before you make the swap go to walmart and buy 2 bottles of the dot 4 and a $1 turkey baster. Pull out as much of the factory stuff you can and replace it with dot 4. Drive it around awhile like that so it gets into the brake lines ect. Then when you do the clutch line you have a 2nd bottle and it will be more dot 4 than dot 3.. It's best to bleed the system but for $5 more I did it this way and saved alot of time and headache from bleeding the system.

This mod for me was a 2 out of 10. 1 being super noob easy, 10 being master mechanic hard.. I noticed a difference. Well worth it. Get the jpc line, it's covered in black silicone plastic stuff so it won't scratch anything and it makes the line blend in more.. Cheers

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I did mine from underneath the car on jackstands yesterday. Used needle nosed pliers and the clip came right out, IN the pliers. When you see how the ends of the clip are bent, it makes sense why it's so hard to remove.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I did my clutch line yesterday, I ended up just removing the black elbow itself from the transmission, much easier to access, that being said.......I still lost a fucking clip!!! never did find it, so I used the top one to replicate a paper clip into one, worked like a charm! I've found that when the car sits for an extended period of time, the pedal is real sloppy and needs pumped several times, did this yesterday, has anyone else had this issue? I'm hoping it gets completely air free by tomorrow

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

Justinjor

JUIC3D
Reaction score
It takes a little while to get all the air out. Just keep pumping it and it'll come around eventually.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I've found that when the car sits for an extended period of time, the pedal is real sloppy and needs pumped several times, did this yesterday, has anyone else had this issue? I'm hoping it gets completely air free by tomorrow
Yep, mine did it for 3-4 days after the initial bleed. I would just pump that sucker at every light. It eventually got all the air out.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, mine did it for 3-4 days after the initial bleed. I would just pump that sucker at every light. It eventually got all the air out.

thank you sir! I was worried I had a leak

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
update, I installed my line Wednesday, I have not had to pump the pedal for the last 2 full days, all the air is gone! happy I did this mod

fastregalwe2

Need more powa!
Reaction score
Got mine in. Was easy as pie. Would have been easier if I woulda let the car cool down all the way first. I also used my Mityvac and swapped out all the DOT3 for DOT4. I think I pumped the clutch pedal about 125-150 times and was good to go with no bleeding of the clutch. Only used the Mityvac on the brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
Did mine on jack stands. Did the pump autobleed at first.
Since doing it I've noticed something odd though...
When cruising on the highway in 6th for an extended period of time, the clutch pedal feels about twice as stiff, just for one press, then it's back to normal until I cruise for a long time again.
I've tried doing a vacuum bleed to see if it was a bleeding issue but it's still happening from time to time.

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
How do you bleed the clutch after the line swap? Just flush the brake fluid like normal? Press the clutch pedal in/out while bleeding the brake fluid?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
What does this improve? Does it stiffen the pedal feel or make it softer/smoother?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back