C/C adjustment

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
well i finialy decided to get me some sticky tires and im wondering if i should mess with the C/C or just drive it how it is

i have the MM C/C plates

i was talking to a guy at H2R a few weeks back about it. i forgot his username so if you read this let me know.

but what he said was that he had a shop do different settings and he then measured where exactly it was and then he was easily able to go back and forth at the track.

does that sound like the best thing to do. i just have never done it before and i dont have the tools to do it at my house "yet"

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
To a certain point, the more negative camber you run, the more grip you'll have in the corners themselves. However, TANSTAAFL applies... More negative camber will reduce your braking ability at corner entry, AND will wear the inside edges of the tires more rapidly.

When you say "sticky tires," are we talking about R-compounds, or a hot street tire?

If you have a pretty level (this is important!) section of driveway or garage floor to work on, the $50 Maximum Motorsports camber gauge would be all you need to go back and forth between a livable street camber setting and a full-boogie track setup.

iDance

Sign Guy
Reaction score
How was the install of the cc plates?

I'm ordering a set this week.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
To a certain point, the more negative camber you run, the more grip you'll have in the corners themselves. However, TANSTAAFL applies... More negative camber will reduce your braking ability at corner entry, AND will wear the inside edges of the tires more rapidly.

When you say "sticky tires," are we talking about R-compounds, or a hot street tire?

If you have a pretty level (this is important!) section of driveway or garage floor to work on, the $50 Maximum Motorsports camber gauge would be all you need to go back and forth between a livable street camber setting and a full-boogie track setup.

they are hoosier a6's

yah i know that is all i would need i just don't have one i may go order one

so its not going to like kill the tires to just run stock C/C

do you know of any guides on what exactly to do

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
they are hoosier a6's

yah i know that is all i would need i just don't have one i may go order one

so its not going to like kill the tires to just run stock C/C

do you know of any guides on what exactly to do

Nice! The grip you'll get off those tires will blow your mind...

Running "street" levels of camber, say-1.25* or so won't kill the tires outright, but you will wind up wearing them faster than you want, particularly on the outside edges. With the MM CC plates, though, it's so simple to change the camber, you might as well get set up to do it...

I don't know of any guides, BUT it really isn't hard at all...

1) Park on that level surface. If it's not level, all your readings will be off. Measure the camber on both sides, and write them down. Next, with a Sharpie marker, scribe a line on the top of the strut tower on each side of the strut shaft so that you have a reference for your street setup.

2) Next, jack up one side, just enough to unload the strut, and loosen the four strut mount nuts (the small ones), and from under the fender, shove it all the way inboard, closest to the motor. Drop the car, repeat on the other side, and then roll the car back about 4', and then roll it up again, back to where it was. That will settle the suspension, and give you accurate readings.

3) Re-measure the camber on each side, and again compare the readings. Assuming that they DON'T match, which they probably won't, you'll have to adjust the side that has the MOST negative camber. Again, jack up that side, and pull the strut partway back out, drop the car, roll back and forth, and remeasure. Repeat as necessary until the two sides match. Now, scribe ANOTHER line on the tower that you adjusted, so that you can get back to that setting again.

4) Test-drive the car, and look for two things: First, is the steering wheel centered? Second, does the car tend to drift to one side or the other on a flat road? If the road has a crown, it will want to drift down into the gutter, I'm thinking more like fresh highway center-lane... If the wheel is straight, and the car doesn't drift, you're done.

A couple of notes on toe: When you change camber, toe will also change, and the more negative camber you dial in, the more positive toe you'll get. That said, however, a touch of positive toe will help with turn-in, and the change that you'll get will probably NOT be significant. If your wheel is off when you're done, go back to the street camber setting, and see if it centers up. If it does, then the space you're working in is NOT flat! If it doesn't, then it probably wasn't centered to begin with...

The nice thing about the scribe marks is that they are repeatable, in the field, without need for a flat pad. Go to the track, swap in the Hoosiers, and while the fronts are in the air, slide the CC plates to line up with the "track" scribe marks. Done. When you're done at the track, swap back to your street wheels, and again, while the front is in the air, slide the plates to line up with the "street" scribe marks, and you're right back where you started! Simple, fast, and easy.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
well i ordered the tool so im sure when i decide to do it i will be asking about 100 more questions but i decided it is some thing i need to learn to do

any ideas on where to start or should i just go read more and wade through the BS my self

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
With the Hoosiers, shoot for as much negative camber as you can get...

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
It was me at the track. Here's exactly what I did. I had the alignment shop measure the camber at full inboard setting. It was ~2.2* IIRC. I then had them set to -2* of camber. I then used a right angle ruler to measure the distance from the inner fender to the center of each shock bolt. Kept the measurements. Then had the shop set the camber at -1* of camber and locked it there. When I got home, I took the measurements again. So now I can easily reproduce my my street setting of 1* and I can easily interpolate whatever camber setting I want.

-Edward

dkegel

forum member
Reaction score
I'm surprised toe doesn't change significantly going from -1 to -2 degrees of camber, but from what SGD says, I guess not?

Dave

It was me at the track. Here's exactly what I did. I had the alignment shop measure the camber at full inboard setting. It was ~2.2* IIRC. I then had them set to -2* of camber. I then used a right angle ruler to measure the distance from the inner fender to the center of each shock bolt. Kept the measurements. Then had the shop set the camber at -1* of camber and locked it there. When I got home, I took the measurements again. So now I can easily reproduce my my street setting of 1* and I can easily interpolate whatever camber setting I want.

-Edward

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I'm surprised toe doesn't change significantly going from -1 to -2 degrees of camber, but from what SGD says, I guess not?

Dave

Yeah, that shocked the hell out of me as well, but from what I measured (confirmed by a Hunter rack as well), there was minimal change, towards toe out with increased camber... Something on the order of 1/16" total! Since then, I've never bothered with swapping toe around, and have no issues.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back