Cam phaser replacement question

Reaction score
Hey lads, planning to swap the passenger side phaser upcoming weekend , the hot idle tap is mad annoying, the question is as follows - I’m using valve cover off technique and wedge tool , not taking timing cover off like in this video

Holding cam lobe with pliers , my question is, is there any specific reason crank timing mark should be at 1 o clock position?, cause i have procharger ati dampener on top of crank pulley and there is no space to put ratchet there and rotate the crank without dropping the radiator . Or I can just position the new phaser exactly how the previous one according to R and L letters and marked links with marker and cam lob marks ? Sorry if it sounds stupid

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would think that you could just mark it and swap it. The only reason why maybe this is a position where there is not much rotational force on the cam from the followers on the cam lobes so it is less likely to move. But if you have the cam locked down I'm thinking it wouldn't move anyways.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The important part is to get the new one in the exact same timing as the old one. The suggested procedures are only a method of making sure you don't screw it up. Get the cam rotated into a position where you cam duplicate and verify the position and then go for it. Make sure you have a new bolt for the cam phaser.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
remember to perform the torque to yield after the initial torque setting is established. its in the manual.

...and do not reuse the banjo bolt. its a one time use item.

Reaction score
Perfect guys , yeah I will mark everything down with marker, I have new oem phaser and bolt in hand ! , I was just worried if it’s necessary to make sure that pulley should be at 1 o clock , cause I cant rotate it without dropping half of front end off lol

Richy04

Reaction score
Anyone doing this job is better off yanking the timing cover, dropping the front of the pan and changing out the oil pump with a new Melling pump, a new timing chain set and guides etc. with the new gaskets and phasers.

There’s an old saying. Do it right or do it twice.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Has anyone done a step-by-step write up on this procedure?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone doing this job is better off yanking the timing cover, dropping the front of the pan and changing out the oil pump with a new Melling pump, a new timing chain set and guides etc. with the new gaskets and phasers.

There’s an old saying. Do it right or do it twice.
This is exactly right. To the OP. How many miles on the engine? Why only one side? Why not replace all the components that the Manufacturer suggests when doing this repair? I understand there is a Procharger involved and alot more labor. Do it once and do it right. Like suggested replace the oil pump while in there.

Reaction score
This is exactly right. To the OP. How many miles on the engine? Why only one side? Why not replace all the components that the Manufacturer suggests when doing this repair? I understand there is a Procharger involved and alot more labor. Do it once and do it right. Like suggested replace the oil pump while in there.

it’s a 10k miles motor at this point , was 6k when it was put in , oil pump and oil gears were done when the swap was conducted, the phaser hot idle knock was present from get go so now I’m trying to fix it, from what I read those locking pin clearance inside the phaser can start knocking no matter of the mileage

Reaction score
C3EE1874-C3B6-4BB0-8B97-CADDC7B45AFB.png
I bought both phasers, the one that’s knocking is passenger side, eventually I will do a second one as well , but as you stated - dropping Procharger off requires some time , so that will be done in near future - oil pump and billet gears are new in there , but other timing components were not changed- and I know that is dumb even on the such low mileage motor considering the cover was off , it is what it is , now I’m paying for it, I’m going to do both phasers, because I can do it myself now, and I know what the issue is. This is a pic when it was swapped into car a year ago with 6000 miles on it

Last edited:

Adomis63

Reaction score
I have to say its quite disappointing to have phaser knock at hot idle from brand new phasers. My driver's side one has knocked at hot idle since outta the box - but of course you don't find out until you buttoned everything back up and try it.

I'd be interested in hearing a sound bite of yours to add it to my mental index of noises these engines make.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back