Cam Phasers...

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Was thinking about this at lunch. It makes no sense for a mechanical problem to cause both the cams to go full retard at the same time. It just seems odd to have both banks act up at the same time and have it be mechanical. This seems like it would be more likely to be an electrical thing. The solenoids are electrical. May be oil related, but not leaning that way just yet. I'll keep the 5W-30 in my back pocket.

Since I will pretty much just be towing in the summer, 5W-30 for harder working (higher oil temps) higher mileage (looser tolerances) 5.4 3V would be ok.
Whatever choice you make regarding oil def stop using the STP treatment.
I like the critical thinking ;) good thought process

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has not acted up once since then. Nothing. Nor has it been any noisier than usual. To me, if it were mechanical, it seems like it would do it again or continue to act up. But it hasn't.

From what I have read the codes mean the cams went full retard for too long. Like they were stuck or the solenoid was commanding them to retard and not returning to advanced.

Next oil change will be 5W-20 wihtout STP. Maybe new solenoids before then too. See what that does.

For code P0012 and P0022 teh same result comes back.

"The main thing to check is to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCt solenoid valve caused by contamination.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0012
Copyright OBD-Codes.com"

Tasca and another place have Ford OEM (updated design units) for like $58 bucks each.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
car will run with 5w30, 0w30, 5w50, same as it does with 5w20.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Truck has been 100% normal since the event Monday morning. Next oil change will be straight 5W-30.

Decided to wait on the solenoids. It makes me pause when both banks went full retard at the same time. If it was mechanical it would not likely happen to both banks. If it was electrical, same thing. Both sides? Not likely. A momentary oil pressure issue? Possible. Truck has 124,000 miles. Runs great otherwise. Oil pressure could effect both sides equally making the ECU response the same for both sides making it full retard both sides. Makes me think the solenoids acted as told to by the ECU.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back