Camera and camcorder suggestions

08gtlarscar

forum member
Reaction score
Looking for some input on whats a good camera and or camcorder for posting up quality pics/vids/sound.

Currently using an Iphone7 for both but I am sure there is better options

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Vague question. point and shoot, DSLR, mirrorless? Budget? cropped or full frame?

On video unit - action or general use? 720P, 1080p, or 4K? point and shoot? night vision? budget?

Separate devices or all in one photo and video?

08gtlarscar

forum member
Reaction score
Vague question. point and shoot, DSLR, mirrorless? Budget? cropped or full frame?

On video unit - action or general use? 720P, 1080p, or 4K? point and shoot? night vision? budget?

Separate devices or all in one photo and video?

I am old school...Never had a camcorder and most hightech camera was a kodak instamatic I think they called it.

I am not at all familiar with anything recent...post 1985...

I am not familiar with anything recent regarding cameras/camcorders.

No real budget,I dont mind paying for quality

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I suggest you go to a camera store and do some shopping to see what is out there then. A lot has changed since the days of film...and film cameras btw are still available as well. So you really need to educate yourself on what is available by going to an actual store and talk to a professional. There is no reason to spend $2000 when $200 will do. But spending $200 on something that can't upgrade to meet your demands as you may find happening will end up costing you money in the end as well.

As for brands, every one has its niche. To simply say Nikon because I shoot Nikon would not benefit you. Once you have an idea what type of shooting system you want we can begin sharing opinions. 99% of digital cameras can also do video. But not all do it as well as they shoot photos. So the video side of things is really a separate issue altogether.

Go to a photo shop....not best buy. There you will get the complete lineup of cameras and be able to talk to a pro and find what will best fit you.

08gtlarscar

forum member
Reaction score
I suggest you go to a camera store and do some shopping to see what is out there then. A lot has changed since the days of film...and film cameras btw are still available as well. So you really need to educate yourself on what is available by going to an actual store and talk to a professional. There is no reason to spend $2000 when $200 will do. But spending $200 on something that can't upgrade to meet your demands as you may find happening will end up costing you money in the end as well.

As for brands, every one has its niche. To simply say Nikon because I shoot Nikon would not benefit you. Once you have an idea what type of shooting system you want we can begin sharing opinions. 99% of digital cameras can also do video. But not all do it as well as they shoot photos. So the video side of things is really a separate issue altogether.

Go to a photo shop....not best buy. There you will get the complete lineup of cameras and be able to talk to a pro and find what will best fit you.

My time off is extremely limited and I just need to make time to do what you have suggested. I am way behind the times in regards to photo equipment and need some schooling to get up to speed on whats available.

I appreciate your recommendations.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry I can't be of more help. I mean I could help you blow money by telling you just to go buy a $3000 full frame body and another 2-5K in FX lenses, but like golf where you can't but the game, you also can't buy good photos. There are guys like GABE on here that have a fantastic eye and could benefit from a full frame like priced above, or even a medium format setup that goes into the 10's of thousands if he decided to go professional with his talent. Then there are guys like me that get lucky and catch the moment once in a while, but like the versatility of a cropped frame DSLR but would gain nothing from a higher end FX setup, though I would love to have one anyway if the money were available. Some folks are intimidated by a standard DSLR setup and work better with a point and shoot or a hybrid which is a split between the two.

Do some research on line and make an educated guess on what type of setup you would like. Then determine if this is going to be just a whim use, weekend use, photo bug hobby use, or something you see becoming a possible free lance money maker for you. Then you can get better advice on brands and then we can go from there. Plenty of people will be able to better help you then IMHO.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
upgrade to an iPhone 8 plus

I have thousand of dollars of great Canon stuff and rarely use it anymore

phone is always on me

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back