Catch Can question

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Is it okay to put a catch can on the passenger side and route it back into the intake but use a breather on the drivers side valve cover.

YoungPony

forum member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly BruceH was running a setup just like that with his Paxton. You may want to message him and see what he has to say. I was always told all open or all closed (nothing to back it, just what I was told), but Bruce seemed to have good luck with it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Is it okay to put a catch can on the passenger side and route it back into the intake but use a breather on the drivers side valve cover.

It would be about the same as two breathers. When I ran breathers for a short time it seemed like the passenger side had the most oil.

The 3v is designed to pull fresh air in from the passenger side and to have vacuum on the drivers side to pull the air out. With a whipple I ran a closed system. The two centris were blow through which made the pcv system a little different.

For a blow through I ran a breather on a hose and tucked out of the way on the passenger side. The drivers side was still hooked into the intake manifold for vacuum. It worked great. There was no mess and no smell. I'm one of those people who thinks there should be a good vacuum on the motor to pull the crankcase air out.

It's not recommended by a lot of smart people. I got the idea from Anderson Ford. There are a few of us on this site running their motors like that and nobody has had issues.

Now that I'm na again the whole system is closed.

If I remember correctly BruceH was running a setup just like that with his Paxton. You may want to message him and see what he has to say. I was always told all open or all closed (nothing to back it, just what I was told), but Bruce seemed to have good luck with it.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
The only problem with a setup like that is that if the catch can does not removes all the oil (I think none does) it will condense in the IC and if it is too much will start covering the MAF and readings will start to skew.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Got it. What I did was run a line from passenger side valve cover to the catch can mounted catch can on firewall then a line to the fitting on the Procharger intake. The drivers side valve cover is the one with the breather still on it. When I pull boost wouldn't that keep the passenger side from sucking in air? I drove about 20 miles of really hard driving with it on there because I as having some issues. There was no oil I the can but there was a small amount of condensation in there. Can I leave the drivers side valve cover with jut a breather on it or would you guys recommend putting some rubber hose on the intake manifold to the valve cover

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
There are a lot different opinions on this.

I preferred to keep a PVC system.
I run a Krankvent system. But Like Lito said I dont run the pass side back to the intake it vents to a can and open to atmosphere

Earl has really set it up nice with a 10an bung welded on his driver side valve cover

Read post 33 from Earl (retfr8flyr)
hope this helps http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17863&page=2

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
This is the catch can i have to install, which is the best way to install it,I also have the FRPP intake.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I am about to run a catch can set up but it is kind of a hybrid between a catch can and breathers. I will be running an Allstar Performance catch can with breather and running both valve covers to it. It will be similar to a breather set up but will give the oil a place to go instead of coating the filter.

ROADFOOLSRIDE

Local Pavement Ripper
Reaction score
I'm running the JLTs on each side. I put a new intake on with a can on the passenger side. I drove it a while, checked the can it was still clean, but had oil on the throttle body & intake again. I since added the drivers side but haven't checked it.

Sent from the Right of nowhere

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back