CMDP DIY

echoinsilence

forum member
Reaction score
so many free mods out there, I just don't have the time or patience to do em. very nice write up, off the top of your head, do you know if you need a retune when you do this??

slowstang06

forum member
Reaction score
wow i totally thought about that myself...except i would have just tried taking a hammer and chisel to it =P... but is there anything specific your grinding or just to make it smooth? like do you need to know what your doing or could a 13 year old just up and do it? i think im somewhere in between =P and have u felt any gains? my shop told me 1 - 2rwhp is about normal?

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
its really easy if u follow the steps it wont take u long to complete it. as far as the surface, yeah just make a smooth surface and u can polish it to prevent carbon or oil build up. about hp i have not clue, but u can feel it. i had some brand name ones before installed as long with pullies. and it made a lot of difference.

bolted3v

forum member
Reaction score
what about the plates motor and brackets in the back? did those came out as well or they stayed there? im going to do this if it doesnt work then i was going to buy the steeda ones. so you only grind it the part you filled out and polish it right? or did you polish the whole thing? thanks for the write up :hi:

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i did the hole things. dont waste your time, im selling those in the pictures, for $60 shipped

Reaction score
I love this write up. Such an easy thing to do compared to spending $150+ on made ones.

Do you suppose this could be done even without filling in all of the holes between chambers?

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love this write up. Such an easy thing to do compared to spending $150+ on made ones.

Do you suppose this could be done even without filling in all of the holes between chambers?
i believe you should make all of them evenly so that you dont create turbulence on the air coming in.

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
I have been making a set of these myself over the past couple of days and I just found your "tutorial". Very well written Sir. I already got the butterflies out and the shafts but after seeing a couple of your pics I was wondering if you removed all the bearings and races from inside the shaft holes. I was just going to leave them in place and I was originally going to go with an epoxy of some kind but I will definatly check out the Steel Putty you are using.

Thanks again for the cool write up.

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
if anyone would like a dummy pair to try it out...i have my stock ones sittin in the garage 20 plus shipping and they are yours...

Nice write up by the way thanks for sharing..

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been making a set of these myself over the past couple of days and I just found your "tutorial". Very well written Sir. I already got the butterflies out and the shafts but after seeing a couple of your pics I was wondering if you removed all the bearings and races from inside the shaft holes. I was just going to leave them in place and I was originally going to go with an epoxy of some kind but I will definatly check out the Steel Putty you are using.

Thanks again for the cool write up.
Thanks definitely remove the bearings you dont want them to get loose down the road.

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks definitely remove the bearings you dont want them to get loose down the road.

Thanks, I already went out to the garage and removed them while I was waiting for your reply.

Now I just need to get some of that "Quick Steel" to close the holes with. I have been expierimanting with a couple of epoxys and have decided it is too risky because it sort of flakes apart when heated.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I have been expierimanting with a couple of epoxys and have decided it is too risky because it sort of flakes apart when heated.

Here's what I found as far as temperature.
Do intake temps exceed 500°F?

Gerardo

2 oz.
Steel reinforced epoxy putty for permanent repair
500 deg. F temperature resistant
Bond holds to -90 deg. F
3 year shelf life
Sets up under water and impervious to chemicals
Permanent bond to PVC, plastic, fiberglass, glass, ceramic, metal, wood and more
Sets up in 4 to 5 minutes
Can be drilled, tapped, filed, machined, sanded and painted

05xgt

Reaction score
They won't get near that heat. Might do what I did and heat cycle them before then check them for flaking, or cracking. Put mine in oven set on 350 for 1 hr, let cool to room temp and then do it again with higher temp. finally set oven to "clean cycle" [elec oven] So far all is good.

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
dont think they would get even to half that temperature. i'll put a temp gauge on them when i have a chance or if anyone can check first do it

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
I just finished filling the holes with Quick Steel last night and I did the grinding and polishing this afternoon. They do look pretty good so far as I can tell, but it will be a couple of months before I get them installed. I would be surprised if they ever get anywhere near 500 deg.

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a spare set of stock plates from a forumite here at "S197" which were in great shape but I was surprised just how funky they were inside. If the surface is not clean the quick Steel may not adhere properly. So after I removed all the innards from the plates I cleaned them as well as I could with brake cleaner and a small brass brush. Then I used some Orang hand soap on a Q-tip to coat the inside of the holes and let is soak for a while. Finally I put them in the dishwasher and they came out spotles clean. I did the dishwasher again when I finished the grinding and polishing to make sure all the little bits of dust and Aluminum filings were absolutly removed. Do not put a nasty greasy item in your dishwasher because it will make a mess (and somebody in your house might kill you), make sure the item is pretty clean to start with.

032.jpg

A008.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back