Coilover Noise/Issue Help

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
So last summer I installed some ST XTA coilovers. Got the car put together and aligned. Ran the car at an autocross event a few weeks later. Haven't had any issues with the setup. I've changed the ride height 3 times since due to switching wheels/tires and aligned each time afterwards. The car performed great at the event.

In the past couple of months I've noticed an occasional popping noise that sounds exactly like a giant spring being struck. It's coming from the driver side front. At first it only happened once every few months under no particular circumstance. Sometimes turning, sometimes hitting bumps, other times just seemingly cruising. Tonight it happened twice on the way to the gym. On the way home I was able to replicate it by doing a WOT 2nd gear pull and when I let off and weight transferred back to the front I got the same pop.

Anyone have any ideas what this is? Could a strut mount bolt be lose? This is my first set of coilovers and some people local are telling me it's just the cooler weather but that seems like an odd reason to me. I have Endlinks and a front sway to install so I'm gonna check over everything.

Visually everything looks to be in place. Any insight appreciated. I don't have another autocross event right now until the end of April. But I'm annoyed.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Check the upper mounts. Sounds like a loose fastener or maybe a shot bearing

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
I've had a shot strut mount bearing before, the popping on it was quick and reproducible by turning the wheel back and forth. This is only on straight line like after at WOT straight on deceleration or hard braking. The noise is identical to the sound of a spring being struck and then ringing for a few seconds like those little door stoppers. Just a really large spring and a deep noise.

I'm hoping somethings just lose.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Popping from coil-overs is not an uncommon experience.
Sometimes it's just all the time from the bearing in the top plate, much like buying cheap CC plates.
Often it's the helper spring rotating under unloading then compression. It will kinda flex and turn then pop back under compression. This can also be the helper spring popping off and on the inner perch sleeve/step.

People with ST/KW coilovers run into this last one the most. It's usually about 1-3 weeks into a new install then slowly goes away over time as they settle. Some people have been able to fix it by properly zapping the top nut down on the coilover (not the 4 nuts that attach to the car, only do the correct torque amount on those).

My ST XTA's had a popping noise for all of about 3 days. The popping would happen like 10 times per drive. Then went away forever.

Have you recently adjusted them?
Also, did you install your front sway recently? I thought my popping came back, but it was just my endlinks needing some proper torquing and some locktite. Every suspension component on my car is completely silent at the moment (knock on wood). It's heaven.

Last edited:

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you'd chime in. Suspension noise drives me up a wall.

I haven't installed my sway lately and they haven't been adjusted since September. The only true change is that it's getting colder outside. Consisten sub 50 degree temps in the day and 30 at night.

I've also read with some coilovers if it's too cold and they are set too soft the rebound can slow down causing some issues but maybe I'm reading too much into it. I stiffened the front up 5 clicks and the issue has gone away so far even after some spirited driving.

I plan to do the end links and sway soon and recheck all the bolts. I'll look for signs that helper spring is having issues too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back