Coolant through cats.....trouble?

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
On my salvage '05 V6 car, it was run without coolant and cracked both heads. Big time. Like, pull the plugs and coolant runs out. And pull the Y-pipe and coolant runs out.

Got a new engine I'm swapping in right now. It's been suggested that I swap out the cats while I'm at it, as with that much coolant that went through them, I'll possibly see codes. I'm kinda leaning this way also, but just curious what y'all have seen. Anyone ever puked coolant through cats and had issues later?

Thanks!
Kevin

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Had a truck that pumped a ton of coolant mixed with oil through the cats. After replacing the engine I let it burn off, lots of smoke but they cleaned out and worked fine. Had to replace one 02 sensor.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
I would just hold off. Run it and see if you throw codes first. Let all the coolant burn off

Edit: I say this because I did an engine a few months ago that a lady overheated to shit. Same thing happened. Coolant gushing out of the exhaust. Once I had the motor in, I took it outside the shop and burned all that shit off. Took like 25-30 at 3k and a shitload of smoke. cats were ok as well as the sensors.

Last edited:

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Ya know, those are good points. Why not just try it and see if it burns itself out. If I need to later, then change 'em. Not like it's real hard to drop the pipe or anything...

Thanks,
Kevin

dalemllns

SLOMOD
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On my salvage '05 V6 car, it was run without coolant and cracked both heads. Big time. Like, pull the plugs and coolant runs out. And pull the Y-pipe and coolant runs out.

Got a new engine I'm swapping in right now. It's been suggested that I swap out the cats while I'm at it, as with that much coolant that went through them, I'll possibly see codes. I'm kinda leaning this way also, but just curious what y'all have seen. Anyone ever puked coolant through cats and had issues later?

Thanks!
Kevin
Its been my experience that when the cats get coolant in them (antifreeze) they will become baked and clog, thus hurting performance greatly. When ever I got a car through the shop that blew a head gasket I replaced the converters too. Because if they do become clogged they will cause the new heads to get hot thus causeing the problem all over again. Just my .02 take it how you want.

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm gonna say screw it and put some in there after all. I ain't gonna repeat the engine swap scenario again. Pay me now, or possibly pay me more later.

Thanks,
Kevin

dalemllns

SLOMOD
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm gonna say screw it and put some in there after all. I ain't gonna repeat the engine swap scenario again. Pay me now, or possibly pay me more later.

Thanks,
Kevin

wasnt trying to sound like a dick but you're already there, aftermarket cats are like 300.00 a pair and comply with emissions tests.... protect that new engine...good luck with it

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
No worries, I didn't take it that way. Sounded to me like the "voice of experience", which is what I wanted to hear (and I appreciate that).

I do have another stock Y-pipe that I'll use the cats from. It was one of those "do I really need to change them?" moments. I'm gonna do it and be done with it.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
I almost had a lazy moment, and was going to let it slide, since I will have to cut that Y and weld up the H to the back end of it (already did that once).

But.....time to get the sawzall out and whack that Y-pipe. Then weld again. That is tomorrow afternoon's project. I wanna hear this thing run before the Super Bowl.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back