Cooling Fan High Speed Relay BEC melted

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Do you know if the ecu puts out a ground or 12v to trigger the fan? Have you tried disconnecting the wire from the ecu and triggering it? If you did this and the fan worked then you could rule out everything else.

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
well, of all things.... I had a hand held tuner I bought used w/ the car. Someone on another forum suggested just trying it just to test. Installed a 89 tune and set the low fan speed to 180. I'll be damned if it doesn't work. The stock tune will not turn on the fan, the custom tune will.

Why?

At least now I don't have to buy a new PCM. I have no clue why this is working now. Guess I'd have to get the original PCM flashed. I'm glad this works, but I'm not sure why it works. Reset the low and high speed fans to 190 and 210, so I'm good for now.

If anyone has a clue as to why the stock tune doesn't work and the custom tune does, I'd appreciate some insight...

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Apparently this is my newest issue. can someone tell me the exact wire that i need to use to power on the low speed relay? i saw green/violet speculated before but i just want to confirm

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
what wire am i hooking up to 86

relaywire.jpg

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
yeah it was in real bad shape. i ended up running the relay and getting it to come on with the high speed, i turned the temp down on the high speed in the tune so it would come on. im going to look into a more efficient fan though since i have the slim one that comes with the paxton kit and it is still running up around 212 with the ac on

46addict

Reaction score
what wire am i hooking up to 86

relaywire.jpg

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm having the same problem with the high speed not turning on after driving for a while. I suppose I could wire up a simple 3-way toggle switch but having a temperature reference from the PCM would be nice.

I'd love to know how TexasBlownV8 got the LEDs set up as well. That seems to be the best solution if there is no programmed reference from the PCM.

46addict

Reaction score
Re-read the thread and found the answer. I suppose pin9 C2 from the PCM would go to pin 86 on the relay, and ground the pin 85.

attachment.php

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
I had this issue, and after looking at the Ford wiring diagram I gave up on the idea of an auxiliary relay. I dremeled the melted connection out, and soldered 10 ga jumper wire to the pin directly. Then hooked my jumper wire back into the harness. So far so good.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
If its as bad as mine was, there is no fixing it... unless you bypasss it entirely

I had a whole new box installed.. it was expensive, but I thought it was the best option.

I bought this car from mitch and I'm checking in to say the new box melted again and made the fan stop working after about 10 minutes of operation. My solution was to install a manual switch & relay and a temperature reference on the upper radiator hose to monitor temps. I'm not selling this car so I didn't feel bad about drilling into the panel and losing automatic fan control.

Attachments

• switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 57
  • relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 59
  • rad hose.jpg
    rad hose.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Morereps

Reaction score
Hello everyone and great information. I’m having the same issues so i opened my BEC to find two burned terminals. I was thinking of doing the external relays but the write up link someone shared on how to do the wiring doesn’t work anymore. Could someone please share that information again? This will be greatly appreciated.

Moparkansas

Reaction score
I'm currently fighting this battle. Can anyone tell me for sure does the trigger wire provide the ground or does it provide the power to trigger the relay? I found a green violet wire in the corner of the wire loom in the BEC that is closest to the fire wall and pulled it out of the connector but I can't seem to get it to trigger the relay with the A/C on. How do I tell for sure which wire it is and can anyone tell me for sure does the trigger wire provide the ground or does it provide the power to trigger the relay?

Ramrod512

Reaction score
Im getting this issue too. Replaced the whole fan assembly and it worked for a whole hour then i started to have issues when the temp increased and with the fan and a/c staying on. When i checked the fuse box i could hear clicking from the relays and see the fan trying to turn on and the a/c clutch trying to engage. I also smelled a slight burning smell coming from the engine bay. Like something plastic melting or electrical burning. I havent pulled the BEC yet but reading everyones posts im going to do that next.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
If understanding the diagram is hard for some people to comprehend, they need to take it to someone that can comprehend and just pay them to do it. wiring in relays is about as simple as wiring gets. I seperated my entire circuit from the car and used the 2 (lo & hi) ground signals to trigger my external 40 amp relays. 10 years and not one issue. no fucking switches or probes or sensors necessary.

OUTLAWPHOTOGUY

Reaction score
If understanding the diagram is hard for some people to comprehend, they need to take it to someone that can comprehend and just pay them to do it. wiring in relays is about as simple as wiring gets. I seperated my entire circuit from the car and used the 2 (lo & hi) ground signals to trigger my external 40 amp relays. 10 years and not one issue. no fucking switches or probes or sensors necessary.

I am battling this now with my wife's car, factory block under the fuse block has melted connections to high and low speed relays, put in an aftermarket fan controller but it only lasted a bout 2 weeks, ordered a Derale PWM controller and that should work with the GT500 fan. Can you send pics of what you did and a description of what wires you connected to?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back