Coyote vs 3v exhaust sound.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I've read enough comments on how the coyotes dont/cant sound as good as a 3v. Also, some stated the coyotes sound horrible. Let me say this: how any engine sounds is a combination of exhaust system AND state of tune.

There are a couple of new mustangs in my neighborhood that do sound terrible, and I have a theory as to why.Muffler delete and/or cat delete WITHOUT a tune! I would bet on that. (And I would be undoing my exhaust mods if my car sounded that bad.)

I think a tuned coyote with the right exhaust is one of the best sounding engines out there.

You can make any engine sound like shit with bad exhaust choices. A certain brand of motorcycle is a perfect example....hehehe

46addict

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the change in firing order and extra valves. I have heard some Yotes that sound menacing. They sound good, just a different kind of good than the 4.6 sound.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the change in firing order and extra valves. I have heard some Yotes that sound menacing. They sound good, just a different kind of good than the 4.6 sound.

I'm not sure how firing order affects exhaust note. It is 8 cylinders firing every 90*. I'm not including the crossplane crank coyote. That WILL sound different for sure.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Coyote has the same firing order as an old Flathead.

4.6 still had the 302 HO/351 firing order which IMO sounds much better. It's a lot different.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
It's because with the HO order you have several cylinders firing on the same bank in order.

With the new engines, it's across and across (IIRC,) and also more like 2 x 4 cyl engines. Blech.

Oh well - with a factory H the Roush cat back on a 5.0 sounds pretty great. If I have to go to a 5.0 I will use my helmholtz chamber, experiment with the mufflers.

46addict

Reaction score
Coyote firing order: 15486372
4.6 firing order: 13726548

Seems the Coyote setup will send more even exhaust pulses and could be better for heat management of the cylinders, as you don't have two cylinders on the same bank firing in sequence like on the 4.6.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 3V sounds like an old-school muscle car. The Coyote sounds more exotic, like a BMW V8 or even an Aston Martin, depending on what exhaust you have on it. If someone made an exhaust for my '11 that made it sound like a 2V with Flowmasters, I'd be all over it.

I'm not entirely sure how a tune would affect exhaust note, unless you're doing some really crazy stuff with cam timing (like a "ghost cam" tune).

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The 5.0 is too "buzzy" if that makes sense, they all have this buzz sound at a certain RPM when they rev up.
I've heard some sound good at idle but once they start revving the sound is a bit of a turn off.
Still sounds good as far as engines go in the world.
I still say 2v mustangs sound better than our 3v's too so I am not just being biased.

A 3v with a good exhaust setup sounds like a monster.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how a tune would affect exhaust note, unless you're doing some really crazy stuff with cam timing (like a "ghost cam" tune).

Anything I've tuned in the past, may it be a car, bike, jetski, whatever. When the engine is dialed in and running the best it can, it also sounds the best. When I tune an engine, I also listen to how it sounds. When its right, you get this howling from the intake WOT.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Coyote firing order could be changed in the tune? The only change is 3 and 5 swap places. Change when the injectors fire and when the plugs spark.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Coyote firing order could be changed in the tune? The only change is 3 and 5 swap places. Change when the injectors fire and when the plugs spark.

You would have to have cams ground for a different firing order. AND change firing order in the tune.

Theoretically, it can be done.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bahhhh...forgot about the cams. But still I wonder what it would sound like and what it would do, if anything, to power production.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Bahhhh...forgot about the cams. But still I wonder what it would sound like and what it would do, if anything, to power production.
I don't think it would sound different enough (if at all) to be able to tell by ear.

The old pushrod HO firing order was done because in the non-HO firing order, #7 & #8 (firing right after each other) had a tendency to "cross fire".

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The 3V sounds like an old-school muscle car. The Coyote sounds more exotic, like a BMW V8 or even an Aston Martin, depending on what exhaust you have on it. If someone made an exhaust for my '11 that made it sound like a 2V with Flowmasters, I'd be all over it.

So what did the 4.6 4V sound like in the 03-04 Mach 1 and 99-04 SVT Cobra.. Did they sound similar to the 4.6 2v or closer to the current 5.0 Coyote 4V :shrug:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I think Coyotes sound so much better than 3v...and this is from a 3v owner.

Yotes have more burble, the 3v almost has none and has a bit of rasp.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's pretty much my only issue with the 3v as well is the rasp.. However since upgrading to Borla S-type and Mac O/R pro chamber setup, there hasn't been any further rasp, but now there's more drone to deal with instead :shrug:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would sound different enough (if at all) to be able to tell by ear.

They are distinctly different and you absolutely can hear the difference. I have been to the drag strip many times since 2011 (when the 5.0 debuted) and you can hear the difference plain as day when two cars are near each other.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
So what did the 4.6 4V sound like in the 03-04 Mach 1 and 99-04 SVT Cobra.. Did they sound similar to the 4.6 2v or closer to the current 5.0 Coyote 4V :shrug:

The 4v 4.6L also has there own note. Doesn't really sound like 2v, coyote, or the 3v.

Best I could describe it is closer to the 2v tone but more bubble sound

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back