Curious about cam shims

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now that I have been under the valve covers, BBR sells regringd cam (not that I am going to buy any, but where do the shims go, do they gon on the bottom of the follower where it sits on the valve stem......again just trying to further my knowledge

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2 small shims under each lash adjuster.

Lots of guys including me have been running the BBR regrinds for a long time with no problems at all. It is not to be feared. The shims are required because a small amount of the base circle of the cam is removed during the grinding process. So to get the geometry correct the shims are needed.
The only reason BBR no longer offers the regrinds is because the cam grind they were using no longer wants to process small orders, and they were forced to find a different cam grinder.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2 small shims under each lash adjuster.

Lots of guys including me have been running the BBR regrinds for a long time with no problems at all. It is not to be feared. The shims are required because a small amount of the base circle of the cam is removed during the grinding process. So to get the geometry correct the shims are needed.
The only reason BBR no longer offers the regrinds is because the cam grind they were using no longer wants to process small orders, and they were forced to find a different cam grinder.

Okay is the lash adjuster the same as the follower or is that something else.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Okay is the lash adjuster the same as the follower or is that something else.
no actually the follower is the rocker arm and the lash adjuster is like the lifter sometimes called lifters but the correct term is lash adjuster. to install the shims you will remove the "lifter" (lash adjuster) and place the shim down in the "lifter" bore to space it up. this eliminates the space between the roller on the follower and the cam caused when regrinding the cams. IMO it's easier now to go with a set of comp cams. the BBR regrinds seem to work well but going with a set of new cores and updated grinds not only gives you the lastest grind technology but eliminates the need for the shims. but if you get the regrinds cheap by all means do it.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Just to add, lash should be checked with aftermarket valves as well. My JDM heads/stock cams needed shims to be within the Ford spec.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no actually the follower is the rocker arm and the lash adjuster is like the lifter sometimes called lifters but the correct term is lash adjuster. to install the shims you will remove the "lifter" (lash adjuster) and place the shim down in the "lifter" bore to space it up. this eliminates the space between the roller on the follower and the cam caused when regrinding the cams. IMO it's easier now to go with a set of comp cams. the BBR regrinds seem to work well but going with a set of new cores and updated grinds not only gives you the lastest grind technology but eliminates the need for the shims. but if you get the regrinds cheap by all means do it.

I did go with billet cams Comp 127200, on wish I would have went with mother thumpers though. not that I am unhappy just would have been a little more happy.....lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back