Destroyed my rear end while drifting

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
i have a pretty much stock other than cage and suspension 2005 mustang Drift Car. I clutch kicked my rear end fo death and snapped my axle tubes off of the pumkin. An interesting moment I thought people would find amusing.

Can anyone recommend a rear end that’s stronger? Aftermarket and/or 9in?

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Strange stuff is bullet proof but it should be when you spend 3k on it. I bet yours is fixable. Turn the axle back where it belongs, reweld the rosebuds, weld the tubes to the case, buy the bolt on axle brace and for a few hundred bucks it should be more than strong enough. CHE and Swarr make braces.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info, I’ll look into redoing my housing or replacing it with an upgraded stocker

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A 9" would be almost indestructible. 31 spline minimum. If you can fabricate, you can find the brackets online and get a 9" from a van or something and have it cut down. You might get it done for $1000-1500 this way.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
A 9" would be almost indestructible. 31 spline minimum. If you can fabricate, you can find the brackets online and get a 9" from a van or something and have it cut down. You might get it done for $1000-1500 this way.

Only if I had asked to the tools I would be all about this, I was decent at fabricating growing up. I need to get myself a welder and stuff sometime for sure

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
oh shit.......thats some damage right there

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have any axle info for you, but your car sounds good. What's your exhaust setup?

All stock, I just took the mufflers off lol, that’s my next mod after fixing everything. It’s super quiet from the outside

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
It's odd to me that the rear end gave at that power level before the trans. Is it possible you have too much traction for what you're trying to do, maybe some suspension setting changes are in order. I bet tuning in some more oversteer and changing the pinion angle would help get the rear tires to unload with less work.
It sounded like the tires were gripping really well, almost like a slick grabbing after a burn out.

46addict

Reaction score
He chirped third on what I believe is an NA setup, so I don't think it's a grip issue. But I think you're barking up the right tree Rocketcar.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
4.56s would change the whole show
I agree that it could be what broke the weak link. Only issue is I’m running only on 225s at over 300 tread wear. If I ever add more power to the car I’m going to run 265s at lower tread wear to be competitive in the speed area

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I also had fuel cut issues when the fuel tank got to 3/4. Fuel pump load maxed at 70% but fuel injector psi dropped to 7psi at wot. Some people recommended that the fuel tank baffles could be messed up.

Anyone else have any ideas/recommendation?

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
For what you are doing, id stick with the 8.8". The 9 inch will be significantly heavier and run hotter. The fact that your axle gave was a fluke. You simply just don't have the traction with those to tires to have to worry about it normally.

So yeah, get you another stocker, and weld the axle tubes to the pumpkin. You can get a brace for the peace of mind if you are ok spending the money.

You are on the right track though. You want to increase traction with drifting, so you can achieve higher mid corner speeds. That is if you have the power to maintain the drift.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
For what you are doing, id stick with the 8.8". The 9 inch will be significantly heavier and run hotter. The fact that your axle gave was a fluke. You simply just don't have the traction with those to tires to have to worry about it normally.

So yeah, get you another stocker, and weld the axle tubes to the pumpkin. You can get a brace for the peace of mind if you are ok spending the money.

You are on the right track though. You want to increase traction with drifting, so you can achieve higher mid corner speeds. That is if you have the power to maintain the drift.

Great points on the 9in. I didn't think of the extra heat it would produce but I am all about saving any pound I can for this car. I'll probably end up welding it and bracing it to set it up for the future if I throw forced induction on

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Check the pump sock/pre-filter. And change the external filter if it hasn't been done in the last 20k miles.

This. That damned pump sock /pre-filter, that goes over the bottom portion of the oem fuel pump has caused 8 of here in town, no end of grief. With my small M90 blower..and not into boost everything was fine. As soon as I tried even 1 psi of boost, it would gag asap. FPDC skyrocketed to 98 %...and fuel rail pressure dropped from it's normal 40 psi...down to just 5 psi. Several of the other folks here in town are NA, and had the same problem. With pump removed, we could all see this crap floating about at the bottom of the tank on driver's side. Easy enough to remove and clean the sock / pre-filter.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back