detriot locker - civilized or brutal? 8.8 or 9?

Is the detriot locker "streetable"? (9 and 8.8 version)

• 9" locker is brutal on the street

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • 9" locker is like butter - what are you talking about?

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 8.8 locker is like driving with a sack of bolts in your diff case

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 8.8 locker is fine - go for it, it can take the power and it isn't anywhere near that bad...

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread to discuss the Detriot locker...

I find the 9" version to be rough on the street. Pops and clunks like it is throwing parts on the road, tosses the rear around at the least blip of the throttle on a curve - a bit dangerous to drive if you don't know what's coming...

I love it on the track, I hate it on the street...

At least CK says the 8.8 is not nearly so harsh. So, any other 9" or 8.8" setups out there that can comment?

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I had a locker 9" on my last hot-rod ('72 XR7) and it was so brutal that I actually set up a second center-section with a LSD and swapped back and forth as the need arose...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a locker 9" on my last hot-rod ('72 XR7) and it was so brutal that I actually set up a second center-section with a LSD and swapped back and forth as the need arose...
Yeah, I just did that as well, put a Currie True-trac center section in until I "need" the extra power. The 31 spline True-trac setup is good to 650RWHP (in the 9" rear) I am told. The 35 spline locker setup should be good to ~1000RWHP+ We'll get to that later...

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know it seems like there shouldn't be a big difference but there is. I have driven with a 9" locker and it is night and day, believe me. It doesn't appear to be that much of a difference physically looking at them so I don't know the physics of it but I do know it's a big difference.

I would not use a 9" locker on the street either. My uncle has them on several of his 'street rods' and it's only for show hoppin' cause it's sucks.

If the track isn't local - he trailers them. The 8.8 locker - you seriously have to try to know it's back there. Any turning in reverse is about the only time it reminds you its' there as long as you're not trying to be a drift racer or road course king...lol

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Diff locker

I got a Auburn ECTED diff locker,it has worked great through 200 passes last year.I got it to keep my beast somewhat streetable,i was warned about the roughness of a Detroit locker in a 8.8 or 9" diff.The Auburn is active with a flip of a switch,simple,cost effective,streetable & all the benifits of a Detroit locker & all the benifits of a limited slip.Its like having a blonde & brunette at your beck & call.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
I got a Auburn ECTED diff locker,it has worked great through 200 passes last year.I got it to keep my beast somewhat streetable,i was warned about the roughness of a Detroit locker in a 8.8 or 9" diff.The Auburn is active with a flip of a switch,simple,cost effective,streetable & all the benifits of a Detroit locker & all the benifits of a limited slip.Its like having a blonde & brunette at your beck & call.
God that sounds hawt. :drool:

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The TT was very tame on my Titan. Is the locker that much better than an LSD?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The TT was very tame on my Titan. Is the locker that much better than an LSD?
In terms of power handling - yes, it can take 2X or more the power depending on what you are comparing it to...

TT is very nice... The 8.8 version isn't as robust at the 9 version (more than the .2 inches would suggest), but still better than stock or friction based LSDs which will eventually leave you one-legged after track abuse...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back