DiMora's Air Tube Temp Sensor Install - to hook to Aeroforce Interceptor

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Nothing super exciting here...but I thought I would share, as I usually do.

This mod is the precursor to Operation Snuffleupagus (where I will attempt to built a "true" cold air intake for my car).

In order to determine the effectiveness of the future mods, I first needed (wanted) to know just how much hot under-hood air my current setup is sucking in through the air filter.

The Aeroforce interceptor, as any of you know, can scan the parameters monitored by the car's OBD-II computer.

The problem is that some of the parameters are bogus calculations - they are a guess.

I had been monitoring "ambient air temp" as well is Inlet Air Temp (IAT). IAT is a valid, accurate parameter, as it comes directly from an IAT sensor in the intake manifold runners. A stock GT with no blower takes IAT from the MAF sensor; when you add a blower, you re-locate the wires that are connected to the MAF to the dedicated IAT.

The problem is that ambient is bogus. Todd @ Aeroforce said this:

Ambient temperature is a PCM calculation based on IAT and other factors. It is not that reliable.

Todd

So, this mod is to install a REAL temp sensor into my air inlet tube. I ordered this one from AeroForce:

photo2-vi.jpg

Next, I removed my carbon fiber intake tube and started drilling on it. I started with a tiny hole, then kept stepping up bits. Once I had a big enough guide hole, I used my air grinder with a conical grinding bit.

I don't know how bad it is to inhale carbon fiber (I know fiberglass is bad)...so I took the necessary precautions as usual. Someday I'll post up a pic so you can see what I really look like, but in the meantime, I'll keep messing with you all, like this:

photo-vi.jpg

I ground the hole to ~ 19MM, then installed a PCV valve grommet I sourced from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It is Help! P/N 42316:

photo-vi.jpg

Grommet installed:

photo-vi.jpg

The upper protrusion is the PCV suction feed to the P/S cam cover. The lower one is the one I just installed.

Next, I put some AstroGlide on the barbed fitting, and slid it into the grommet. Every man's tool box should contain a bottle of AstroGlide... ;)

Here it is installed:

photo1-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

On the right hand side (not yet wired):

photo-vi.jpg

Then I ran my wires through the firewall (three total) and started soldering / heat shrinking everything.

I ran them through the same DS grommet where Roush runs the fog-light wires.

photo-vi.jpg

The wiring goes like this:

Temp sensor wires:

One to 5V regulator
One to ground
One to Aeroforce Interceptor Analog input

In the interior, you have to install a 5V regulator / conditioner (purchased from Aeroforce):

photo-vi.jpg

The three wires on the regulator:

One to 12V switched power
One to Ground
One to temp sensor

Then you program the Aeroforce by telling it that Analog 1 or 2 (I used 1) is "Air Temp".

Done.

So...with the engine off, the temp sensor was perfect. Exactly at ambient!

I started up, and it tracked perfectly.

I drove around to get things good and hot and assess the results (and satisfy my curiosity about intake air temps).

In cruise:

photo-vi.jpg

Fully heat soaked at idle at a stop-light (and car not moving...filter sucking in hot underhood air):

photo-vi.jpg

It was 70 degrees F out:

photo-vi.png

The bottom line is my filter is sucking in a bit of hot engine bay air that is varying between 4 and 21 degrees F hotter than the ambient air temp.

Operation Snuffleupages will attempt to address that. I have already started with some under intake chassis mods to facilitate my plan, as well as modifying the underside of my CAI heat shield. More to follow once I get it sorted:

Here is the base of the heat shield:

photo-vi.jpg

Modded to get more cool air (as well as chassis metal mods) - that's my cement driveway you see...so it is a direct line of sight to some cool air. I just need to fab some ducting to get the cool air to the filter. I have a plan to be shared later in Operation Snuffleupagus.

photo3-vi.jpg

Stand by for more.

All buttoned up. Hood paint and stripes coming soon:

photo-vi.jpg

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Very Nice Write Up
I hope to add this soon

Was the intake reading on the gauge from the PCM?

Plus I have a great Idea for a Halloween costume thanks to you

Last edited:

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Very Nice Write Up
I hope to add this soon

Was the intake reading on the gauge from the PCM?

Plus I have a great Idea for a Halloween costume thanks to you

Snuffy? LOL...

The "ambient" parameter the OBD-II outputs is a "derived" calculation and is rather inaccurate according to AeroForce. It probably uses CHT and IAT with some sort of mathematical formula, but I don't know exactly. Either way, it is bogus.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
DiMora;1716497 Then you program the Aeroforce by telling it that Analog 1 or 2 (I used 1) is "Air Temp". Fully heat soaked at idle at a stop-light (and car not moving...filter sucking in hot underhood air): [/QUOTE said:
So the Bottom Number displayed here is the PCM ??
The top is from the new sensor you installed on the Intake

photo-vi.jpg

Last edited:

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
So the Bottom Number displayed here is the PCM ??
The top is from the new sensor you installed on the Intake

photo-vi.jpg

Bottom number is my true IAT (dedicated temp sensor in my TVS intake manifold runners).

Top number is real temp in my intake tubing using the sensor I installed in this thread.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back