disappointing times....

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined the site and looking some input on my recent trip to the track. I have a factory 2006 Mustang GT auto with not a single mod. I went to the track and ran a disappointing 14.1 @ 98 mph. I can deal with the 14.1 since traction could have been better but I think my mph is a bit low. I was expecting a high 13 et with a 100 or 101mph, anyone have a similar vehicle to compare or thoughts to offer would be appreciated, thank you.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And where is the track? Conditions? Disappointing if you are in the northeast with mineshaft air---but if your in New Mexico at a track that is 6000 feet in elevation that would be really good. Need more info.

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bone stock I ran 14.0 @ 99.... with heavy ass chrome 20's on a hot summer day though :)

Keep practicing, get you some tires, and it'll make a world of difference!!

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
60 ft times were 2.1's the track is in Cecil County MD at about 58 degrees so I had rather ideal conditions/location. I am running on factory 18" wheels and tires. I just don't know if tires will get me where I want to be unless my car simply needs to be broken in a bit more (2200 miles) since its common that cars are in ideal running condition with 5000 plus miles. I'm a bit let down, maybe I'm being a bit hard on the car since yes it does need tires, anyway thanks for everyone's input!

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if that was your 1st trip to the track...not bad at all!
I was able to get 1.97 60ft on the stock tire leaving at 900/1000 rpm. all stock automatic back then.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

I'm no expert at the track; far from it in fact....I never go. However, from a seat of the pants perspective, I suggest you get an xCal2 (or an X3) with some Bama tunes, and a drop in K&N filter for your stock airbox, or a CAI. I personally didn't find a big difference between the C&L CAI or the stock airbox with the drop-in K&N filter in my almost-stock application. The car will feel much livelier.
Then, get you some gears. You may be running the 3.31's, which wouldn't be optimal for the track. I'm running 4.10's, but maybe 3.73's would be better for an auto. This was the single most significant mod I did, and I think most would agree. You need the xCal2/X3 tuner to adjust the gear ratio, so the tuner/tune combo should be done 1st, or at least together with the gear swap.

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i agree with the suggested mod list...in fact although i know no hp gains will result but i have a jba axle back on the way just for some sound and budget. following that i will be getting a x3/CAI combo and a set of drag radials then going back for a few runs with that set up.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually Cecil's track is supposed to be below sea level. Alot of guys I know get there best times there. I even did at the beginning of this season.
But I was told from a friend of mine that they went a few weeks ago and it was like skating all the way down the track. No prep work done to the track.

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i agree that sometimes prep work can lack especially towards the end of the season. my mph is what concerns me the most, maybe just a bad day...everyone has them.

tlt05gt

Larry's Transmission
Reaction score
Welcome.
I think Paul is right need more information as far as track conditions and air quality. When my car was stock I ran the same time as you and I have the same setup.
You can probably get a little more out of it by changing tires but as far as gear swap goes I changed from 3:31 to 4:10 and all I did was lose gas mileage. my car ran the same 60ft time and was not spinning the tires.

Just strap a twin screw on it and get it tuned and hold on.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Stock times
with 17" street tires was 13.9
K&N Air charger no tune 13.8
with JLT II & SCT Tune 13.5
with Steeda UDP 13.4
at this point I started to use Drag radials mounted on stock rims and
4.10 Gears 13.2
with CHE LCA 13.1
with CMDP 12.9
with Alum DS 12.8

The SCT Tune really woke up my Auto tranny, you can tune the shift points and pressure this makes it perform real nice. the 3 most noticeable mods were the JLT II CAI with SCT Tune, gears and drive shaft.

But the key to good ET's is Traction, those 18's look nice but they suck for traction. I have a set of Bullet 18x9 rims.

Good luck and welcome, you picked a great forum community to join...

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
I would say you are right on par with most of the mustangs in my area.
Pratice practice practice. Driver mod is the best mod you can have.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cecil is a fast track, and I have gotten some of my best ET's there. I would lower the rear tire pressure some more, make sure front tire pressure is at max. Thats not a bad first time out, I'm sure 13's are in it bone stock, just have to keep at it. Also, did you take out your spare tire/jack. If you are an auto, did you turn of OD and make sure TC was off.

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i did not take the tire and jack out and i found yesterday that my front tires were at 24psi i guess from the weather change. thanks again for all of the help.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back