Disassembling Genie Screw Type Garage Door Opener

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't figure out how to get the screws to separate.

I'm pretty sure the entire thing doesn't work, so I was just trying to break it down to make it easier to throw away.

u8ebu3y3.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Hahah, good point.

I was thinking of putting it on Craig's List as a "free if you want to fuck with it and get it working", since I just missed trash day for this week....

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
The kind of people that would show up for a "Free" garage door opener probably aren't the people you want seeing your house/belongings...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
In my neighborhood you can set it out early on trash day and somebody will be along within 15 minutes to scoop it up and sell it for scrap metal. You don't even need to cut it up.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
In my neighborhood you can set it out early on trash day and somebody will be along within 15 minutes to scoop it up and sell it for scrap metal. You don't even need to cut it up.
I can do that. Our trash area is at the top of the hill, well away from our house. You can barely see our place from the road. When I've put stuff on Craig's List for free, I always leave it up there. We don't get a lot of traffic by our house, as we're pretty far back in the country.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
How old was it? My old house had a couple genie screw drives that were at least 10+ years old and working well when I sold the place. They seem like decent openers.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
How old was it? My old house had a couple genie screw drives that were at least 10+ years old and working well when I sold the place. They seem like decent openers.
We have assumed it is inop, but are not 100% sure. It was left behind by the previous owners. I haven't tested it, well, because I'm really not sure how to test it. If I can sell it, that would be great. The two we have now are also screw drive, but one is old and doesn't work well with most clickers. I usually replace them with the "telephone box style" one that connect directly to the door via jackshaft.
Anyways, here is a pic of it. I couldn't find a model number anywhere.

e7uzatas.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4 running AOKP

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back