Discouraged 3v owner

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
I was all set to start the process of doing a forged internal build on my Procharged 06 GT and talked to two local shops.
As my recent topics show, I would be getting the parts and have them do the labor and machine shop stuff.
Neither one was enthusiastic about the project and in so many words told me I would be falling into a money pit and would be much better off selling the car and getting a coyote gen Mustang or an LS3 Chevy.
One of these guys runs a Ford oriented shop and both have good local reputations.
At this point I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. I'm not looking to be talked off the ledge here, but wondered if this typical, or did I just pick the wrong guys to talk to.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I was all set to start the process of doing a forged internal build on my Procharged 06 GT and talked to two local shops.
As my recent topics show, I would be getting the parts and have them do the labor and machine shop stuff.
Neither one was enthusiastic about the project and in so many words told me I would be falling into a money pit and would be much better off selling the car and getting a coyote gen Mustang or an LS3 Chevy.
One of these guys runs a Ford oriented shop and both have good local reputations.
At this point I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. I'm not looking to be talked off the ledge here, but wondered if this typical, or did I just pick the wrong guys to talk to.

Just go to another shop. Easy for someone to say just get a new car. That's a cop out.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how much power are you looking to make?

If you're looking to be in the 600-700 range, I agree with 07 Boss, find a different shop

46addict

Reaction score
What part of the country are you in? There are reputable builders and machine shops all over. Someone here will give you a recommendation.

Their turning you away is a blessing in disguise. These engines should be machined and clearanced by people who know mod motor stuff.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Any car is a money pit to someone who’s not into it. Do what you want, if the shops aren’t interested in taking on the project then they’re not the right shop for your car.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation, a friend and I both want to do forged builds this winter and the local shops in the Toronto area seem to all be fox guys, the closest shops that I know do modular are sean Hyland motorsports which is mega money and won't answer calls and livernoise motorsports which also appears to be big money.

I don't mind doing a road trip to the US to go somewhere proven.
Plan is similar to OP buy a teksid tear it down myself. Have machining and build done by the shop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nothing bugs me more than a buyer saying I want to spend money and a service provider/seller saying you're wasting your time/money buy this other thing instead.

Man, you talk to the customer. If they seem informed and not interested in buying a different widget, you sell them what they are looking to buy.

Doesn't matter what it is. Cars, home improvements, electronics, doesn't matter.

My brother had his last house sided and told the guy he wanted shutters on every window, not just the front of the house. Just like it was before siding. The contractor tried hard to talk him out of it. He was more than willing to pay to have it the way he wanted it. He had to force the contractor to accept more money. Contractor was trying to talk himself out of extra money.

I called the guy that did my driveway recently to come fix a problem with my driveway unrelated to the job he did. I had a water issue that damaged my driveway. I wanted to correct drainage, repair the driveway and have a couple very large rocks removed that I hate mowing around. Sure, no problem I swing by and take a look, get you a price he says. Three weeks later I call him back, where's my quote? Of I forgot. Send me text and I'll get it for you in the next couple days. My last text was in the middle of July. Now I am going to wait till after winter and call someone else. He must have enough business that he doesn't need my money.

Find a new shop that wants to work with you.

Last edited:

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in Kansas City and would like to see 550 whp.
I'm willing to spend up to 10k to get there and was even close to start ordering parts.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd get with L&M or MPR and have them build you a short block

if you can find an aluminator that would be a simple and solid choice

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nothing bugs me more than a buyer saying I want to spend money and a service provider/seller saying you're wasting your time/money buy this other thing instead.

Man, you talk to the customer. If they seem informed and not interested in buying a different widget, you sell them what they are looking to buy.

Doesn't matter what it is. Cars, home improvements, electronics, doesn't matter.

My brother had his last house sided and told the guy he wanted shutters on every window, not just the front of the house. Just like it was before siding. The contractor tried hard to talk him out of it. He was more than willing to pay to have it the way he wanted it. He had to force the contractor to accept more money. Contractor was trying to talk himself out of extra money.

I called the guy that did my driveway recently to come fix a problem with my driveway unrelated to the job he did. I had a water issue that damaged my driveway. I wanted to correct drainage, repair the driveway and have a couple very large rocks removed that I hate mowing around. Sure, no problem I swing by and take a look, get you a price he says. Three weeks later I call him back, where's my quote? Of I forgot. Send me text and I'll get it for you in the next couple days. My last text was in the middle of July. Now I am going to wait till after winter and call someone else. He must have enough business that he doesn't need my money.

Find a new shop that wants to work with you.

This, times a thousand.

If I have to beg you to take my money, you just lost my business.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with the rest. Find another shop. Either this one's reputation is fabricated or they just don't wanna mess with it. Both are great reasons to find someplace else. You'll get a substandard job if they do it and then they will play the "I told you so" card.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Cost to build one of these engines for 600whp is like 3-4k. I don’t understand why some people think it’s less of a money pit to spend 20-25k on a newer car instead. That Really burns my biscuits.

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
At 550rwhp a good aftermarket rotating assembly given to a known 3v builder would be more than enough to have a solid machine. I did 2 yrs on the stock block at 450rwhp. In 2010 I put in a Ford Aluminator, went to 550 then 630 and finally 767rwhp. Engine and internals are still the original to this day. A good tuner like Lito will be your insurance keeping it all together.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a tuner\builder that's not 1000 miles from Kansas City?
Not being sarcastic, but it would be nice to find one a reasonable distance from me.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Not being sarcastic, but it would be nice to find one a reasonable distance from me.

500 miles too far? The shop that installed my parts is in Forney, TX and do great work. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in Kansas City and would like to see 550 whp.
I'm willing to spend up to 10k to get there and was even close to start ordering parts.

If it was me, I'd buy a Ford Racing 5.3 stroker short block and adjust boost and fuel to get your 550WHP. The assembled short block is roughly $5600.

There is no need for a Coyote or LS3 if you just want 550.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I'd get with L&M or MPR and have them build you a short block

if you can find an aluminator that would be a simple and solid choice

^^ This. Don't get discouraged by idiots that don't know what they're talking about. A built 3v motor can reliably make 500-600rwhp all day long.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I would also by the Ford Racing SB if I was wanting your goals. Then add heads later and turn up the boost if I wanted more. Seems there was a member here that used a shop in KC that did good work, I cant remember who though. Hell, for 550 rw all you need is a good builder and some pistons and rods if you have time for the car to be down a while.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score

I agree with Wild White Pony; contact Lito. He does remote tunes so you’ll just need to work with a local shop that has a dyno, but Lito will be the brains behind it for a great tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
If you're willing to spend that much, that 5.3L mod block seems like a pretty cool idea

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back