Discouraged 3v owner

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Glad mine is paid off. If all the dire predictions come true in 15-20 years I might have to push it off a cliff. Who would want a gasoline powered mustang that only traps 130.

EDIT: Maybe I should just be buried in it? Only 30 more years to 70. lol

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
KC Maxx was one of the two I met with and suggested I might be better off going the LS3 or Coyote route.
Strangely, they were also the ones who dyno tuned it last year.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Just got to Mike at L&M and be done... Yes he is not close, but by the looks of it, no reputable engine builder is close to KC anyway... Talk to him; he is super responsive to email and is probably one of the best mod motor builders in the country. The 3V block will handle a lot more power than a coyote block; period. Will it cost a blt, sure, but what doesn't. Upgrade oil pump with TSS and Gt500 backing plate and put in some good rods/pistons. Probably handle close to 800 on a reliable tune; coyote block will have higher probability of cracking before yours does ta that level.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
I sent L&M an email explaining what I'm after and requesting prices, recommendations etc.
How much sticker shock am I in for here?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Before ever considering a Coyote swap.. I'd do a GT500 swap from an 07-12 5.4L 4v which already includes all forged internals to begin with along with it's block being able to handle more power over the Coyote.. And under no circumstances would I ever consider putting an LS3 in a S197 or any other Ford for that matter.. As for the shop who recommended it, they sure in the hell wouldn't get my business to say the very least lol.

Last edited:

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
Can’t believe somebody said to put an LS3 in an S197. Wtf is wrong with this world?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Agree on the GT500 swap. Even better if you wanna run a manual transmission and can get the TR6060 with it.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
Gen 2 coyote blocks are seeing 800+ hp before they start having issues. You guys should clarify that when discussing, since the only place you can get a gen 1 block now is from an 11-14 car/truck.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the shops I talked to were not referring to swapping an LS3 or Coyote into my 06, but selling it and getting either or.
My original post may have been unclear.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Will take E85 or race fuel to run 600+ out of a coyote "reliably" anyway. Maybe you can get by on 91 pump on a gen2 with a little bit more power but it's not gonna be that much more over a gen1.

If you can get E85 at the pump then it seems like a no brainer to run it.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the shops I talked to were not referring to swapping an LS3 or Coyote into my 06, but selling it and getting either or.
My original post may have been unclear.

IMO.. If those shops were really concerned about wanting your business, they would've respected your preference for wanting to keep your 06 and perform the engine build for your 3V just as you requested.. Bottom line is if you really wanted to sell your 06 for either a Coyote or LS3, you would've done so rather than request having a shop do an engine build for your existing 3V in the first place.. Seems to me those shops you talked with are obviously just not really interested nor want to be bothered in taking the time in wanting to do an engine build for you, otherwise they would've respected you as a potential customer along with wanting to earn your business in which from their actions just goes to show they really aren't worthy of your business to begin with anyhow..

Last edited:

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
67b98cbce9897e7f4d3767f49063f84d.jpg

My vote is for a 5.4 swap. Just saying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
Will take E85 or race fuel to run 600+ out of a coyote "reliably" anyway. Maybe you can get by on 91 pump on a gen2 with a little bit more power but it's not gonna be that much more over a gen1.

If you can get E85 at the pump then it seems like a no brainer to run it.

Definitely. Everyone making big power with coyotes are on something better than 93

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
IMO.. If those shops were really concerned about wanting your business, they would've respected your preference for wanting to keep your 06 and perform the engine build for your 3V just as you requested.. Bottom line is if you really wanted to sell your 06 for either a Coyote or LS3, you would've done so rather than request having a shop do an engine build for your existing 3V in the first place.. Seems to me those shops you talked with are obviously just not really interested nor want to be bothered in taking the time in wanting to do an engine build for you, otherwise they would've respected you as a potential customer along with wanting to earn your business in which from their actions just goes to show they really aren't worthy of your business to begin with anyhow..

Exactly. Maybe they should talk to John Mihovetz about his 5 second quarter mile.
http://www.dragzine.com/news/john-mihovetz-lowers-ford-mod-motor-record-to-a-blistering-5-88/

“The engine, which at last contact with ACCUFAB, boasted a factory aluminum 4.6-liter block and a Bryant aftermarket crank. The heads, which are also factory pieces, come from the venerable Ford GT powerplant. Thanks to Mihovetz’ dedication to his craft, the bottom end is able to withstand astronomical boost numbers nearing 60 pounds! Needless to say, John is getting all he can from the pair of Precision turbochargers hanging off the end of the headers.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Buy my built longblock. All ready for you to drop in :)

If you're set on having something machined and assembled for you, L&M. It is expensive but you get quality and excellent support.

46addict

Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back